Author Topic: beach walks on east coast?  (Read 1657 times)

Offline rocky

• Site Member
    • http://
beach walks on east coast?
« on: April 15, 2006, 11:05:24 PM »
hello I was wondering if anyone could reccomend a good beach to walk rocky on, we are hoping to go on monday as a day out with the children and I would just love to see rocky in the sea I think he will love it.We are thinking of going to hunstanton or around that area.Any advice would be much appreciated as I know some beaches dont allow dogs.thank you

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
Re: beach walks on east coast?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2006, 11:45:17 PM »
There has been a meet up today at Cleethorpes. The photo's are in the meet up thread....it looks like a great beach with loads of fun to be had for the pooches!!

Janey

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 12:56:16 AM »
I am sure there was a site where you could check on dog access to beaches, but can't find it. What you could do is check on the relevant council's site, they usually give some info.

Offline kookie

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2006, 08:09:51 AM »
Filey has a great beach too. Well away from the road, It goes on for miles.
Love from Karen and Livvy

Offline cindere528

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2006, 09:24:23 AM »
Wells next the Sea.  It's about 15 miles East of Hunstanton.  Drive down the Beach Road and park on the car park at the end (£3.00 for the day).  There are toilets on the car park which are pretty good & as clean as can be expected for a busy car park.  There's also a cafe.  When you're ready to begin your walk, go to the opposite end of the car park from the toilets.  You will see a lake (called Abraham's Bosom), go through the gate with the lake on your left.  Follow the path to the right.  You will see wooden steps going upwards.  Go up the steps and at the top you will see the beach.  Go down onto the beach & turn left (dogs are not allowed to the right).  You can walk to Holkham from there, it's a lovely walk and you can either walk back along the beach or you can walk through the pine forest.  If you have children they will love collecting pine cones & climbing the trees.

Enjoy your day  :D

Offline hawkins

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2006, 09:47:11 AM »
Hunstanton beach is great. We went the other saturday (picture of it under working cockers). Very good beach, nearer the old town (sand dune and cliff bit)

Can also vouch for Filey, esp if you time the tides right, you can walk right out on the the brigg. If you go on to the brigg make sure you've got sturdy footwear on. But make sure you know what the tides doing, you don't want to have to scramble up the unsafe cliff..... not that I'm talking from experience or anything  ;) Haven't taken Baxter there yet.....

Offline rocky

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2006, 10:30:00 AM »
Thanks for all your replies I am really looking forward to the day my sister is also coming with her westie taggart the only thing I have to do now is drag my husband away from doing the plastering and painting!thanks again, rocky

Offline cindere528

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2006, 10:56:33 AM »
Forgot to say earlier, whichever beach you decide to walk on tomorrow, don't do what I did when I went to Wells next the Sea a few weeks ago - I forgot my camera!  I had to buy one of those disposable jobs & it's only just gone off to be developed so I haven't got my pictures yet.

Offline sarah jane

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2006, 11:18:30 AM »
Filey has a great beach too. Well away from the road, It goes on for miles.
Iv'e never been to Fily  the pick's from your last visit Karen it looks fab!!!! and i wouldn't mind going with my gang!!!
Winnie clumber spaniel/ Jasmine,Talula,Eric,Enya cocker spaniels

Offline sniffsniff

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2006, 09:40:28 PM »
As we live in North Yorkshire I would recommend Hunmanby Gap. There's a car park, toilets, small cafe & a short walk down to the beach. It's not a very busy beach, even in the middle of summer but it's brilliant, especially for dogs. There's lots of small pools on the sand that Cockers absolutely love! We've also been to Filey a few times & even though we love the place dogs are only allowed to the left of the lifeboat station, towards the Brigg. It can get VERY busy during the summer months whereas Hunmanby always seems to be quite quiet ( I think it's because nobody has heard of it or can't find it!)  We should be making a trip soon as Trix is getting SWS (seaside withdrawal symptoms!!) so I'll post some photos.

Mary.
RIP beautiful girl - you've left paw prints on my heart forever. Trixie 17/04/2003 - 14/07/2015

Offline mollymoll

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2006, 11:19:52 PM »
Holkham is wonderful- woods and sand and sea if you walk far enough- just take care on the sandunes - Molly injured herself last week jumping off at high speed! 
Amanda and Molly

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2006, 09:40:33 AM »
As we live in North Yorkshire I would recommend Hunmanby Gap. There's a car park, toilets, small cafe & a short walk down to the beach. It's not a very busy beach, even in the middle of summer but it's brilliant, especially for dogs. There's lots of small pools on the sand that Cockers absolutely love! We've also been to Filey a few times & even though we love the place dogs are only allowed to the left of the lifeboat station, towards the Brigg. It can get VERY busy during the summer months whereas Hunmanby always seems to be quite quiet ( I think it's because nobody has heard of it or can't find it!)  We should be making a trip soon as Trix is getting SWS (seaside withdrawal symptoms!!) so I'll post some photos.

Mary.

You can walk your dog between hunmanby gap and Filey as long as you get the tide times right.
cracking beach walk

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk