Author Topic: vitamin supplements  (Read 1237 times)

Offline ellehcim

• Site Member
vitamin supplements
« on: June 16, 2004, 05:10:23 PM »
was wondering if someone can help, when i got my baby from the breeder she gave me SA37 powder and cod liver oil to give him with his breakfast. does anyone know how long i carry on with these for, ben is now 5 months.

thanks michelle and ben :D                    
1st time cocker owner

Offline Sandie

• Site Member
    • http://
vitamin supplements
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2004, 08:41:00 PM »
Hi,

I would say you can carry on with the SA37 as long as you like as its only a supplement and it won't hurt or even until you have finished the pot.

However, I would stop the cod liver oil capsules through this hot weather. I was told only to give cod liver oil during the winter months only as it warms the blood so in summer the dogs can overheat. Don't know how true this is but I stopped it just in case.

I give my dogs evening primrose oil capsules every day and they are fine on it. Noticed that their coats are getting softer and shinier too.  :D

Hope that helps.

Sandie, Aimee and Wesley xx                    

Offline Sheila

• Site Member
vitamin supplements
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2004, 09:12:00 PM »
Are Evening Primrose oil capsules suitable for puppies, or is it best to wait until they are older and have their adult coat.

I'm not giving Lottie any supplements......just her food, which is puppy Nutro mixed with a little puppy chum.....I assumed this would be alright without extras??

What is SA37?....I've not heard of it.                    

Offline Sandie

• Site Member
    • http://
vitamin supplements
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2004, 01:34:31 PM »
Hi,

I know someone who was giving their puppies EPO capsules at 12 weeks. Thats how old they were when I was there and she said she gave it to all her dogs including the puppies. No wonder her dogs seem to have lots of coat and even the puppies and they are only two weeks older than my Wesley. So I have put Wesley on them too.  :D  Bought loads when they were on special offer at Holland and Barratt.

SA37 is a mineral and vitamin supplement. It is a powder and you can give it to puppies and adults alike on their food. Usually found in most petshops. I know that Pets at Home does it, but you can usually get it around the champ show stalls if not.

Hope that helps.

Sandie, Aimee and Wesley xx                    

Offline PennyB

vitamin supplements
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2004, 10:24:42 PM »
I think if you use a good quality complete dog food then there shouldn't be any need for supplements for a growing dog. Something like Burns puppy food or whatever has everything a pup needs.

I have only given supplements when Wilf was going through a tough time and he needed a boost to his immune system.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
vitamin supplements
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2004, 10:47:59 PM »
Will giving supplements do any harm to a growing, healthy dog?

I ask cos I think I may benefit from the 'reasssurance' factor - medicate the dog to heal the owner!                    
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline PennyB

vitamin supplements
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2004, 01:30:25 AM »
Will giving supplements do any harm to a growing, healthy dog?

I ask cos I think I may benefit from the 'reasssurance' factor - medicate the dog to heal the owner!

I don't know but if it ain't wrong why fix it—if you have a healthy dog and give it healthy food there shouldn't be any reason to spend your money on supplements. A good quality complete food has a lot of ingredients that people like to 'supplement' with anyway (herbs and oils) so you could also be overdoing it just for the sake of it.

I only gave Wilf a herbal supplement as he had cancer (age 5 months) and I felt his immune system needed a boost. I don't think that because he didn't have supplements caused him to be il in the first place. Now that he's on track (1 year old) he's only getting his Burns and raw carrots every day as a treat (which my 2 love).

Supplements are really only necessary if your dog is ill or pregnant (or may be about to be).                    
Friends of Hailey Park

Offline Sheila

• Site Member
vitamin supplements
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2004, 08:32:33 AM »
Is there much difference between Burns and Nutro?

I used to use Eukanuba or James Wellbelove for Goldie.
Lottie was on Nutro when she came to us and I've kept it on and also converted Goldie to the senior one.

It seems a lot of people her use Burns, I wondered if there was much between the brands.                    

Offline lorri

• Site Member
vitamin supplements
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2004, 11:38:59 AM »
After comparing price and reading all the information on burns plus it gets delivered to the door i changed Jarivs from Eukanuba to burns . Jarvis isnt fussy at all and i reckon that he would eat just about anything but he's loving burns mini bites and is still happy and healthy.

lorraine                    

Offline PennyB

vitamin supplements
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2004, 12:52:38 PM »
Plus Burns is more ethical as well, and the Euk probably has horrible preservatives in it.                    
Friends of Hailey Park