Author Topic: Help Maniac Puppy!  (Read 4133 times)

Offline JoHarborne

• Site Member
    • http://
Help Maniac Puppy!
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2004, 03:38:38 PM »
I knew we were making progress when my friend called round yesterday - he hasn't seen Woody for about a month and he couldn't believe he was the same dog!!  Calmer, quieter, more affectionate, wanting his ears tickled - we've just got through the teething stage and we've been left with the most wonderful (black) Cocker!   :P

But I won't deny it wasn't tough at the beginning and I posted saying that I couldn't cope either.  Just stick with it - I have a beautiful 6 month old Cocker whom I adore and he was worth all the hard work at the beginning - and I don't have children so I hadn't had any previous practise!!!   :lol:

Good luck and keep posting - we're all going through it with you!   ;)  
Jo, Woody\'s owner

Offline TOPAZ BILLY

• Site Member
  • De Girls!
Help Maniac Puppy!
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2004, 03:44:28 PM »
Not sure if it has been mentioned before but what type of food is Bella having? I have read various articles about some foods containing higher than required protein and E numbers that react with dogs in the same ways as blue smarties :blink: with kids??  I know that protein is important for puppy development but to much can be bad as well.

Abby our 6 month old black bitch puppy has always been very outgoing (read cheeky, naughty) much more so than our Blue roan boy ever was but I wouldn't think of her as a duff puppy.  
Usually if she has been naughty I give her time out in the bathroom as nothing she can get to in there. Also count to ten and consider how she has ended up being naughty?? who left the chair out for her to get on the table? she didn't know it wasnt the latest doggy playground? Has she got lots of active toys that she doesnt have access to all the time?  Ours have kongs and treat balls but never at the same time and they are picked up once finished and put away.  Abby gets so excited when she sees me putting treats in her kong she spins round the kitchen but once she has got it she is busy for ages.

Sorry for going on but don't give up this is just a phase that cockers but us through to check we are worthy owners :D  in a few months you will have a beautiful loyal member of the family and you will be giving out advice to other new cocker owners on here ;)

Michelle

Offline padfoot

• Site Member
Help Maniac Puppy!
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2004, 03:48:17 PM »
You don't have a duff pup (if that exists  :unsure: )...you have a normal puppy. It's true that puppies are different and some are harder work than others. But the behaviour you are describing, while frustrating, is normal. It's not a reflection on the pup or on you as an owner...it's likely she will turn out to be a lovely dog once she's matured a bit.

My cocker puppy is five months old and he is quite the little demon when he wants to be. I have caught him walking on the work surface and table, he loves to leap at people regardless of whether they want him to or not, and he has been known to play bite and knock the children over. But it's worth remembering that this isn't forever...it can be very demoralising and you might feel like you've made an awful mistake and think about what life was like before the little imp entered it  :lol: But she will calm down. My elder cocker is now 16 mths old and he is a very sweet and laid back dog now....you'd never believe it when he first came to me at 6 mths, totally untrained.

Persevere...try to see the funny side it at all possible, and most importantly, enjoy Bella. She won't be a baby for long. It sounds like what she really wants is love and attention...and no matter what a pain she can be, she lives for your cuddles...so make sure she gets lots of them..it will also remind you that a little angel lurks behind the horns  ;)  

Offline taniac

• Site Member
Help Maniac Puppy!
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2004, 03:48:34 PM »
Puppy classes are a great idea, because as someone said earlier (Penny I think) the mental stimulation will help wear her out!  Is it a clicker class?  Clickers are a great tool for helping to train dogs, and really easy to use, you can set aside time at home (just half an hour here and there), to do exercises with her

You could try making her work harder for her food.. So instead of feeding her from a bowl, soak the kibble and put it in a kong, or place in a treat ball/bottle (like Rachel suggested).  You can also wrap food in rags, tie knots in it and layer it to make it harder for her to open, if you put a piece of cheese in or sausage it'll make it more interesting to her then just kibble.

All these ideas are designed to make her think, use her doggy instincts and basically wear her out.  As at the moment her efforts are driving you mad.  I have a really great book called 'The Culture Clash' by Jean Donaldson, it describes the dog as having a 'tank' of energy that has to used up, the more you can syphon into 'good' activity, the less bad things will happen!!  ;)

The most important thing to remember is that she's not doing this to annoy you, upset you or because she is 'knows' it's bad, she just wants your attention.  Use your time outs and also make her use her energy in a constructive way (not on your cupboards) and it will get better... Promise, cross my heart!  :D  

Tania
(Neo and Jovi's Mum)

Offline Bellbellsmum

• Site Member
Help Maniac Puppy!
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2004, 06:07:18 PM »
Not sure if it has been mentioned before but what type of food is Bella having? I have read various articles about some foods containing higher than required protein and E numbers that react with dogs in the same ways as blue smarties  with kids?? I know that protein is important for puppy development but to much can be bad as well.

Bella has been on Burns for the last 2 weeks.  I was taking NO chances with food, I promise you.  I am only giving natural treats as well. Pigs ear slime everywhere as we speak  :rolleyes:  
Laura and Bella (Bellyflops) xxxxxx

Offline Bellbellsmum

• Site Member
Help Maniac Puppy!
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2004, 06:13:22 PM »
Sorry for going on but don't give up this is just a phase that cockers but us through to check we are worthy owners  in a few months you will have a beautiful loyal member of the family and you will be giving out advice to other new cocker owners on here

I know this all deep down,  I think it maybe because I have the kids off school as well at the moment and if its not the dog its those two killing each other  :D

When I say duff dog or anything like that, I ALWAYS mean it tongue in cheek, I promise you.  I adore Bella.  My partner and I have 5 kids in total (his 3 dont live with us) but we have not had any together, so Bella is the baby we never had.  This makes her extra special to us. I'm mummy and he's Daddy.  Its a dream come true for me.  I think rose tinted specs beforehand have been the main problem before we got her :D  :D  :D  

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Help Maniac Puppy!
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2004, 10:51:19 PM »
I think rose tinted specs beforehand have been the main problem before we got her :D  :D  :D
Stick at it Laura, its get better, until one day, you'll look back at these posts and think - it can't have been that bad, can it? You'll also realise how quickly puppyhood passes; so try and enjoy it as much as you can.......it soon passes!

My OH had the same rose-tinted specs on; I am far more a half-empty kind of person, and was expecting much worse, and so have been pleasantly surprised; although we have had our moments (he got the lino again today) :rolleyes:

Hope Bella feels better soon, and don't worry about what your vet said; like Dr's they vary in their 'bedside manner' ability, and I am sure he has experienced far worse than a lively pup before  :lol:  IMHO, no dog (or child for that matter) is 'naughty'; they are just doing what comes naturally, and it happens to inconvenience US!
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline TOPAZ BILLY

• Site Member
  • De Girls!
Help Maniac Puppy!
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2004, 06:43:26 AM »
Sorry for going on but don't give up this is just a phase that cockers but us through to check we are worthy owners  in a few months you will have a beautiful loyal member of the family and you will be giving out advice to other new cocker owners on here

I know this all deep down,  I think it maybe because I have the kids off school as well at the moment and if its not the dog its those two killing each other  :D

When I say duff dog or anything like that, I ALWAYS mean it tongue in cheek, I promise you.  I adore Bella.  My partner and I have 5 kids in total (his 3 dont live with us) but we have not had any together, so Bella is the baby we never had.  This makes her extra special to us. I'm mummy and he's Daddy.  Its a dream come true for me.  I think rose tinted specs beforehand have been the main problem before we got her :D  :D  :D
Laura,

I can see that you adore Bella :D just stick with her she will come good in the end :D

Michelle

Offline betastorm

• Site Member
    • http://photobucket.com/albums/v208/betastorm/
Help Maniac Puppy!
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2004, 03:38:39 PM »
Hi Laura

I really enjoy reading your posts, you come across so honest about how the puppy is behaving.  I am hoping to get a Cocker in the new year and although really excited about it, a part of me is worried about not being able to cope.  So it's really nice to see that other people feel like that and are still doing OK.  Oh yuck, my cat is lying in front of the keyboard and has just dropped one :blink:
I'm off!

Keep up the good work.

Wendy
Wendy and little Molly

Offline subeeloo

• Site Member
Help Maniac Puppy!
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2004, 11:51:43 PM »
Makyntash you sounded like I did 6 months ago, and they all said on here that he is just a normal puppy making himself known. Now he is an absolute dream, but now I have the 'kevin' stage to get through, that should be in the next couple of months when it all starts again! I really don't think it's what they are fed, it's just in them to behave like this for a couple of months and then when they are out sociallising it will all calm down, take it from me, a novice who has never owned a dog b4, but am loving every minute with him....just enjoy, it will all come good believe me! ;)
'Everybody lurrves Sammy!'
03/02/04 - 27/10/14 :'(

Offline Bellbellsmum

• Site Member
Help Maniac Puppy!
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2004, 11:31:21 AM »
:D  :D  :D

Had puppy training last night.  6 boxer pups a collie and loads of other naughty babies.  Bella was the best behaved, although she was so scared she was under my chaire pressed up against the wall most of the night.

Made me realise I am getting off lightly with her!!

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Help Maniac Puppy!
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2004, 12:17:08 PM »
You should go and read some of the posts I made when Indie was wee - with titles like *Will we EVER sleep?* and *Please help me!*....really really soon she'll be over the wayward stage, and be totally adorable. My boy is lying on my feet, knackered after a rainy hour in the park, and looking back, I really didn't enjoy him at first. He was so unpredictable, naughty, biting, messy, just like a baby.

I can tell you adore her from your posts

Hang in there

Shona x
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)