Author Topic: Pooing Mucus  (Read 1481 times)

Offline Lynne & Murphy

• Site Member
Pooing Mucus
« on: March 05, 2006, 05:54:50 PM »
Wonder if anyone can advise me....

Murphy had a poo today and then after it went as if to do another but all that came was just a 'splat', like clear jelly and very slightly pink (?blood). He then dragged himself on his ass (as if to clean it) then got up and did another mucus 'splat' (size of a pound coin)as before.

Is this him emptying his anal glands???

Lynne

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
Re: Pooing Mucus
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2006, 06:14:33 PM »
Was the poo normal? If it wasn't sounds like an upset tummy to me. I would starve for 24 hours then slowly introduce food again,  maybe a small meal of chicken to start with.
Kelly & the Keladity Klan

Visit our website
www.keladitycockers.co.uk
Dogs laugh but they laugh with their tails! - Max Eastman

Offline miche

• Site Member
    • http://mwcooling.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2006, 09:40:40 PM »
I would recommend the advice already given, if it doesn't work, take him to the vet as he might need antibiotics to clear it up.

It is also possible that he could have a parasite like Giardia that needs Flagyl to clear it up along with frequent worming with panacur but it is difficult to diagnose as it doesn't present itself in every stool.

Basically, if he's not better soon, it's off to the vet for you.  Is he OK in himself?
Love Michele, Mikey and Herbiexx

Offline Lynne & Murphy

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 08:49:25 AM »
he's ok in himself and very boistrous. Not mad to eat but does eat 75% of the feeds. Today there was a normal, formed but softish poo with a small bit of blood right on the very end!!!  :'(

Offline crazyspaniels

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 09:02:59 AM »
Mucus is a sign of colitis so their is some upset in the gut, have you changed his food, given him anything different etc?
Chicken flavoured dog food gives my Willow colitis, she can't eat autarky, but she can eat chicken wings?

Freya and Cockers Bilbo and Dobbie, not forgetting the Springers Willow and Paddy

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2006, 09:20:11 AM »
Like Freya says, it's a common sign of colitis, irritation of the colon. If you have changed treats or food recently, or anything like that, it's worth looking at. Hamish got this regularly before I changed him onto Naturediet, now h's fine.
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Lynne & Murphy

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2006, 09:56:01 AM »
Hes on canin royal medium puppy as per the breeders recomendation. I have been giving him mini bones as a reward for toilet activities done in the right zone (outside). That's new.

The only thing I can think is he did drink some rain water out in the garden. It was in an empty plant pot & it had leaves in too, maybe it had been sitting there for a while (i.e. stale with bacteria) :embarassed:. I obviously stopped him and emptied it but he got some down. ph34r

I will see what the next poo is like and if its the same its off to vet with the 'sample'

Lynne

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2006, 12:06:53 PM »
Lynne

Am I right that Royal Canin is a dry food? 

My puppy, Paddy, is now four months old and had exactly the same thing: soft pooh, that over time became diarrhoea, with blood and mucus in it.  He was eating normally, but without much enthusiasm on Nutro, a dry food that's got a good reputation, and over time (from about 11 weeks) he began to eat less and less of it.  Throughout, he was perky, sweet and lovely.  When the blood came into the equation, I took him to the vet, along with a sample of the offending pooh.  When tested, it was clear of bacteria and worms.

Vet said (as the other posters have said) that it's colitis, an inflammation of the gut, which reduces his uptake of nutrients and calories.  Paddy had continued to put weight on throughout, until the last few days when he was only eating 40g of food per day, instead of 240g!  Vet says it's a permanent sensitivity to dry food - it's indigestible for him - since there's no bacterial or worm cause for Paddy. 

I'd noticed flakes in his fur. Vet gave me anti-biotics (kills any bacterial cause but also works as an anti-inflammatory on the gut) and four days' worth of a Royal Canin tinned wet pet food (only available from vets) which is highly digestible (and painfully expensive - about £2 a tin!).  He then recommended that I put Paddy straight onto Nature Diet when the Royal Canin wet food was finished - no "lead in" etc.

For the first time, I have a pup who is wolfing his food down, his flaking has all but stopped, coat's shinier - and see my other post about Nature Diet - they're having supply problems, everywhere's sold out and they're not scheduled to make any more puppy food for six to eight weeks!  As an alternative in the meantime, I'm using the adult "Original" variety (identical base ingredients, recommended by my vet) plus (as per vet's instructions) scrambled eggs to make up the protein difference four times a week.  I've ordered a "Puppy Life Stage" food by Forthglade (don't bother with their website - years out of date!) which is apparently virtually identical to Nature Diet.

I'd second what the other posters have said: get Murphy to the vet.  Colitis could be a temporary problem caused by bacteria or worms, or it could be a permanent sensitivity caused/aggravated by dry food.  Remember the pooh sample!

Good luck.

Denise

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2006, 04:51:19 PM »
Vet says it's a permanent sensitivity to dry food - it's indigestible for him -

Denise -how does your vet know that its all dry foods? Molo reacted the same way as Paddy to Nutro, even though he was weaned on it, he developed a sensitivity to it at a few months old -  but we changed to another premium dry brand with no problems :)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2006, 05:06:35 PM »
To be fair, I was sloppy with my language!  He said that it's "almost certainly" dry food (although I take your point that even that statement isn't necessarily true - just his opinion), but that if I'm really committed to feeding dry food, I could try another one and see if that worked or not.  It was the "or not" bit that did for me!  Didn't want to risk putting Paddy through more of the same so went straight to Nature Diet.  I'm not sure if, when he's grown, I'll try a different dry food.

Out of interest, which brand did you choose and why?

Offline miche

• Site Member
    • http://mwcooling.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2006, 05:12:19 PM »
Forgot to mention collitis ph34r - my mums dog has just been diagnosed with it actually.  She's put him on BARF and he has just been having normal poo's after a few weeks, it wasn't immediate but it looks like problem solved for him.
Love Michele, Mikey and Herbiexx

Offline Lynne & Murphy

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2006, 05:54:48 PM »
Thanks for the advise everyone sounds like colitis right enough  :-\ whether a food intolerance or a bug is causing it we'll see. Its not how he was when he first came home. Those were easier to 'poop-scoop' (less squidgey)  ph34r.

Sounds worringly similar thing to Denise & Paddy to me. I mean he has never seemed mad for his dry food to be honest. He eats it but not exactly wolfing it down. Often leaves some of it. Breeder said add the odd scrambled egg to it so I added a scrambled egg (no milk) to bind things a bit for his lunch today & he absolutley scoffed it (mixed with the puppy food) double quick :lol:. No blood in the most recent poo tho it was a bit squidgey. I will continue to observe and first sign of a bloody one and it (the poo) and he are off to the vet sharpish!!

Who knew I'd be looking at dog turds so closely!  :o

Lynne

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2006, 06:48:14 PM »
Out of interest, which brand did you choose and why?

I converted to Burns - having compared the differences in ingredients between Nutro and Burns, the latter has a lot less added to it (not even any emulsifiers), so I thought it would be more gentle on the tum :) It certainly suited him; and I would think that there is one out there that would suit Paddy, if you prefer a dry complete to a wet food ;)

I am now feeding Molo a raw diet - with Burns when I can't source bones  ::)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Lynne & Murphy

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2006, 12:05:58 PM »
Quick update:

All poos (3) lately are not blood stained and today was not so squidgey either :blink:. Maybe he ate something  ::).

It is okay to have him in my own garden after only first round of vaccinations right???

Lynne

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2006, 10:23:17 AM »
Yes it's fine to have him out playing in your garden (assuming that it isn't frequented by unvaccinated dogs that is! ;)) - otherwise you'll both end up like The Prisoner of Zenda and be climbing the walls by the time of his second jab.

By the way, I have just started (a couple of days ago) to use Nature Diet's "Naturezyme" product, an enzyme and pre and pro biotic powder which is supposed to help with digestive sensitivities, improved coat quality and shine etc, so I'll let you know if I see a difference in Paddy from that.  I've also posted on another thread about Pads being sensitive to mood etc, and I know that he's also aggravated by stress/distress so I have to manage that - calmly and serenely!

D