Author Topic: Ruby has a histiocytoma  (Read 1411 times)

Offline bernie

• Site Member
Ruby has a histiocytoma
« on: August 18, 2006, 09:59:34 AM »
I took Ruby to the vets with a suspicous round lump on her side. She is only 18 weeks old.
The vet said it is a histiocytoma.  Has anyone seen or heard of this before?? The vet says it will go away eventually on its own. It looks as if it is bigger today. I am worried that she may be prone to lumps, she already seems to have dry flakey skin.
Could this be the start of repeated skin problems.  Am I worrying too much?
Love Bernie, Ruby and Ted x

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
Re: Ruby has a histiocytoma
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 10:06:59 AM »
My Rosie had one on her ear, first time, my vet suggested we leave it for a while to see if it would go on it's own, thankfully it did, it took around 2 months before it went though and it looked horrible!  :embarassed:

Offline PennyB

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 10:13:49 AM »
Histiocytomas generally go away and don't come back.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline The Woolys

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 10:32:59 AM »
Freddy had one in about may this year, it was right on his nose and just looked awful,  it just kept getting smaller and smaller until one day it had gone and you wouldn't even know it had been there now, nothing to worry about it doesn't hurt them, just make sure that if it is knocked and the top comes off to bath it in a little bit of salt water to stop infection. 

Offline kb

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 12:11:23 PM »
I think Honey may have had one of these on her ear which just went away on its own.

She was sitting on my knee when I was reading this (i know .......... at the computer ::)) and was very interested in the photo. Every time I scrolled it away, she jumped :005:

Offline Deb H

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 12:37:34 PM »
Jasper had one on his head which was surgically removed no probs since. It is usually something that happens when they are young sounds horrid but not.
He is your friend,your partner,your defender,your dog. You are his life,his love,his leader. He will be yours,faithfull and true,to the last beat of his heart.You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.Anon.
Deb,Henry,Jasper & George angel babies. Sydney,Harry,Jethro,Dhali Hebe Seth Hades Moses

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 12:43:37 PM »
Jasper had one on his head which was surgically removed no probs since. It is usually something that happens when they are young sounds horrid but not.

Rosie was 7 when she had hers.

This was her ear just 7 weeks later, I bathed it with Hibiscrub and nothing else.

Offline sarahp

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2006, 01:47:27 PM »
Daisy had one on her chest.  Left it alone for nearly 3 months and it didnt disappear of it own accord so she had it surgically removed.  No probs since - touch wood  ;)

Must be honest though I panicked like a thing possessed when they told me she had to have it removed  - she couldn't have cared less  ::) ::) ::)
Sarah & The Roan Rangers - Daisy Dog & Dill Boy

The average dog has one request to all humankind. Love me

Offline bernie

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2006, 01:57:00 PM »
Thanks everyone for your replies about the histiocytoma.  It is obviously more common than I Initially thought, the pictures are just like what Ruby has.
I am glad that everyone seem to have had no further problems and I feel much less concerned.
I am very gratefull for this site, it is better than any reference book!

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2006, 02:07:55 PM »
Paddy's (just below his nose) came and went in the course of two weeks or so - but it's come back in the last week, in the same spot.  Waiting to see if it goes again - otherwise, off to the vets, maybe?

Offline bernie

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2006, 02:26:32 PM »
I would be interested to know what happens now with Paddy's histiocytoma and what the vet say's if you need to take him back,  would I be right to think that removal by the vet would mean a general anesthetic etc ???.  Hopefully Paddy's will go again on its own, as I hope Ruby's will too.

Offline Deb H

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2006, 07:08:57 PM »
Yes Jasper had a general he was fine (didn't stop me stressing at the time though). His was right on top of his head quite large and he kept rubbing it which is why vet removed it. He has a very cute little scar :luv:
He is your friend,your partner,your defender,your dog. You are his life,his love,his leader. He will be yours,faithfull and true,to the last beat of his heart.You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.Anon.
Deb,Henry,Jasper & George angel babies. Sydney,Harry,Jethro,Dhali Hebe Seth Hades Moses

Offline supaspaniel

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2006, 07:24:39 PM »
Hi

Harmison had a histiocytoma on one of his toes last month. It seemed to appear from nowhere and I must admit I panicked a bit, but it was quite large. He had it removed the day after I discovered it, under general and he was fine when he came home. He had a boxing glove bandage on it for a few days and no probs since. If I'd known it would go of its own accord I might have left it, but it was really large all of a sudden so a bit sus! :D

Zen Dog...he knows not where he is going, for the ocean will decide. Its not the destination....its the glory of the ride.

Offline Deb H

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2006, 07:28:14 PM »
Jasper was just the same i came home from work spotted this huge (well quite big) lump on his head mil and oh had been with him all day and hadn't noticed a thing.

Offline supaspaniel

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2006, 08:43:33 PM »
We had been on holiday in Wales the week before and he'd been swimming, so I'm sure  I would have seen it thru his wet hair. I've zoomed in on my holiday pics, but i'm not sure if I can see it or not :huh: anyway its gone now and as I said he's absolutely fine and chasing birdies at every opportunity, (OH being a gamekeeper..there are plenty of birds about!) :005:  ...I get wrong for letting him do that tho ::) :005:

Zen Dog...he knows not where he is going, for the ocean will decide. Its not the destination....its the glory of the ride.