Author Topic: Naturediet...we've given up  (Read 1408 times)

Offline AnnB

• Site Member
Naturediet...we've given up
« on: August 18, 2006, 09:50:42 PM »
Bella has colitis and naturediet seemed to be the best food for her, but over the last few days every pack we've opened has been off, even if it didn't look like it from the outside. We aren't quite ready for barf so we've been cooking her mince and fresh veggies. Is there anything we need to add to make sure she is getting a balanced diet?

she is really enjoying boiled potatoes.carrots and mince, but we wondered if she needs more cereal in with it?

Offline ~Jilly~

• Site Member
Re: Naturediet...we've given up
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 10:17:57 PM »
We've given up with Naturediet too.

After eating it for a good few months, Bella was slowly refusing to eat it more and more (I believe they changed the recipe a while back?). We didn't have any that were off (I don't think???) but when we opened a box a couple of the individual packets were inflated - not sure why that would be.

Add to that the daily challenge of opening the packet and then the difficulties buying it when the pet shops run out...............

Anyway, we've decided to give the raw feeding a go but we're still finding our feet. If you read my post on raw feeding there is quite a bit of advise from people about what they need/don't need.

Bella is basically eating the frozen meat/veg/rice packs at the moment, if you wanted to raw feed but are a bit daunted, these are sooooooo easy and convenient to use. They don't smell horrible or anything and there's no handling of raw meat as such. Bella is really enjoying it too, her whole body shakes with excitement when she's waiting for her dinner now  :luv:

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 10:36:24 PM »
 :D  I feed a mixture of Cooked lamb or beef heart, cooked minced turkey,beef and pork, and occasional liver and kidney, with raw grated carrot, broccoli,or cabbage,  mixed with cooked brown rice and a tablespoon of bonemeal. Carrots and apple  for treats!

Offline Miss Poohs

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2006, 09:54:02 AM »
Hmmm as one who is teriffied to make the huge leap to BARF I may just tread with you on to the middle ground  ;)

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2006, 04:43:48 PM »
Bailey has always been fed Burns with a little chicken.  After all the recommendations (just before all the problems with ND), about 8 weeks ago, I tried him with a little bit of Nature Diet with his Burns and he loved it.  He really seemed to enjoy having his dinner, which for Bailey is unusual, he has never been a foodie!  :-\ 

Well, in the past month, he has been to the vets 3 times with a skin infection/pyoderma on different parts of his body.  The last time, the vet asked if we had changed his food, and recommended we put him back onto the Burns and chicken.  So Nature Diet is off the shopping list for us too  ::)
Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2006, 04:22:00 PM »
The swollen packs are due to incomplete sterilisation, leading to bacterial activity.  Given time it would have popped and delivered a stinking mess into your kitchen.

I know what everyone means about the BARF "leap" - as you'll see from other thread I jumped/leaped into it a week ago on Friday.  It's easy which has surprised me. 

If you're going to cook stuff, I'd still suggest the "BARF" model of what you should be feeding.  The books talk about modelling the diet around what a dog would catch for itself.  So if you look at a rabbit:

1.  fur - eaten, but not digested - good fibre, moves everything along;
2.  smallish portion of veg/fruit - what would be found in the rabbit's stomach - plus occasional bits picked up here and there;
3.  bone - excellent source of fibre, minerals and vitamins;
4.  muscle meat - protein, vitamins, minerals;
5.  organ meat - protein, high levels of essential fatty acids for brain, nerves, skin and myriad other functions.

So if you try to replicate those items, you should be fine.  For the veg/fruit - blend/pulp it or cook it lightly to break down the cellulose and make it "bio-available" - ie digestible and the nutrients absorbable.  One book recommends mixing to give a balance of colours of veg and "above" ground and "below ground" stuff - so over a month, you'd feed carrots, red, yellow, green peppers, spinach broccoli, blue green and red fruits, and eg if you have below ground carrot, balance it with some above ground spinach.

I've also contacted Dorwest Herbs (think it's dorwest.co.uk) and bought some Tree Barks powder (slippery elm and white birch - both good for colitis) and some Keeper's Mix - a kelp and alfalfa powder which is high in vits/minerals and uses a great fibre source called pysllium husks (great for humans too!).

All the books I've read question the inclusion of cereals in dogs' diets - other than some wild grains they might digest from prey's stomachs, they'd have very little if any cereals, so I'd steer clear of bulking up this way.

Another point: amounts.  Don't forget that you might be feeding e.g. 240 grams of NatureDiet at each of two meals. You shouldn't be replacing this with 240 grams of home cooked food at each meal or you'll end up with a porker.  BARF recommends about 3% bodyweight in food per day - perhaps some of the "home cookers" can comment on how much they feed.

Let us know how you've got on.

Denise

On the bone front, your issue is that "safe" bones need to be raw: giving a cooked bone can lead to splintering being a much higher risk than if it's given raw.  But that might be your "intro" to raw feeding: buy some chicken wings and watch (as Kymythy puts it) in a "loving and confident" way, how your dog eats it.  I thought Paddy, the little guzzler, would try to gulp and guzzle them but he chews and gnaws patiently, with his little docked tail wagging for England...

Offline supaspaniel

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 10:05:23 AM »
I recently put my boyz on Skinners hypoallergenic duck and rice complete food. Their coats are lovely and glossy, skin is no longer dry and their bowel movements have become firmer ( so hopefully stopping anal gland trouble that George has been quite prone to) and bad breath doesn't seem to be a problem any more! AND THEY LOVE IT!!!
They have fresh raw courgettes, brocolli stalks and carrots as I am preparing my tea, which they love..i think they just think they're getting some of my food! I also get them a knuckle bone each every now and again, which keeps them occupied for hours!
Oh and a bit of toast and marmite every now and again! :005:

Zen Dog...he knows not where he is going, for the ocean will decide. Its not the destination....its the glory of the ride.

Offline Denise

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2006, 11:44:45 AM »
raw feeding always terrifies me firstly because i always heard you should never give dogs chicken bones as they can splinter maybe that is just when cooked
and as for nature diet have been  trying to change Indie over to this gradually but he really doesnt like it
Denise

Offline Claire

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2006, 12:32:45 PM »
raw feeding always terrifies me firstly because i always heard you should never give dogs chicken bones as they can splinter maybe that is just when cooked

It is just when cooked.  Raw bones are fine.  I've raw fed Ruby for a while now, and the best bit (smaller firmer non-stinky poos, fresh breath, great teeth, shiny coat and the comfort of knowing exactly what's going in to their food aside) is seeing how much she enjoys her food.  She goes like this:  :D at mealtimes!