Author Topic: What's your view on giving booster vaccinations?  (Read 14203 times)

Penel

Re: What's your view on giving booster vaccinations?
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2007, 04:05:07 PM »
Shona didn't you see what I wrote - their income halved......

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2007, 04:37:32 PM »

I think Shona meant that he has an interest in telling that story now he is an "alternative" vet; I can see what she means, as it supports the use of his treatments  ;)

In the same way as I treat research by drugs companies with "a pinch of salt", I would also be wary of totally believing anyone promoting a treatment that they themselves make their livelyhood from  ;) I am not suggesting that Mark is untrustworthy, just that anyone with a vested interest is likely to present the facts from a perspective that benefits them  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2007, 04:58:49 PM »

I think Shona meant that he has an interest in telling that story now he is an "alternative" vet; I can see what she means, as it supports the use of his treatments  ;)

In the same way as I treat research by drugs companies with "a pinch of salt", I would also be wary of totally believing anyone promoting a treatment that they themselves make their livelyhood from  ;) I am not suggesting that Mark is untrustworthy, just that anyone with a vested interest is likely to present the facts from a perspective that benefits them  ;)

conversely rachel that is exactly my view of the promotion of vaccinations and the income raised from them
...in the vets best monetary interest to vaccinate.
helen & jarvis x

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2007, 05:01:10 PM »

conversely rachel that is exactly my view of the promotion of vaccinations and the income raised from them

........and neuter  ;)
Oldies Club

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2007, 05:05:56 PM »

........and neuter  ;)

oooh yes, another can of worms  ;) >:(
helen & jarvis x

Penel

« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2007, 05:16:39 PM »
I am not suggesting that Mark is untrustworthy, just that anyone with a vested interest is likely to present the facts from a perspective that benefits them  ;)

he has since gone into practice on his own, and spends one or two days a week working for free, with local rescues.  He certainly isn't making a lot of money from being an alternative vet !!!!!

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2007, 05:30:02 PM »
I am not suggesting that Mark is untrustworthy, just that anyone with a vested interest is likely to present the facts from a perspective that benefits them  ;)

he has since gone into practice on his own, and spends one or two days a week working for free, with local rescues.  He certainly isn't making a lot of money from being an alternative vet !!!!!

But you, and other COL members, are paying clients? Lots of conventional vets do rescue work, too  ;)
Oldies Club

Penel

« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2007, 05:34:51 PM »
blimey Rachel take a chill pill  ph34r

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2007, 05:37:00 PM »

Sorry - not meant the way it obviously came across ph34r ph34r
Oldies Club

Offline kb

• Site Member
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2007, 05:44:00 PM »
Anyone know of a homeopathic vet in Northern Ireland?

Can't even find a cranial osteopath for the kids here ::)

Penel

« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2007, 05:48:06 PM »

Sorry - not meant the way it obviously came across ph34r ph34r

s'all right I'll let you off this time  ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:

*off to search for a homeopathic vet in NI*

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2007, 10:11:33 AM »
Wow.  This has started something off and it's been fascinating to read everyone's views.

A couple of points - I feel very protective of Mark, although I've only met him once.  He's one of those people whom you know is just a "good person".  I haven't posted details to anyone other than Penel about everything that he told me to do with Pads, because it's very targeted and Paddy specific.  I suspect some of what he said (diet wise) would really surprise some on here - and he was the first to admit it would be trial and error with Pads because he's so much healthier as a result of raw feeding - running at 90% so the last 10% fine tuning is less obvious to nail down.  He also told me how to look for alternative sources of supply for the remedies to compare prices - so not exactly looking to nail the sidelines profit stream either!

(But Rachel - I didn't read your comments as being a challenge to Mark's integrity - it's right to consider "vested interests" - even if (as I do in Mark's case) you decide to discount it from your assessment).

On the issue of vaccinations - Paddy's breeder (and people who got pups from his litter) haven't had any problems with colitis in their dogs.  I hesitate to attribute Paddy's colitis to anything other than bad luck and it's tempting to "retro fit" any problems, but I do often wonder about vaccinations.

Out of interest, Mark's view on puppy vaccinations is that they shouldn't have their FIRST vaccinations till they're about 9 to ten weeks old and that there should then be a 3 to 4 week gap before their second vaccination.  This is because their mother's immunity (obtained from her during pregnancy and from milk after birth) fights the vaccination and has, in some research, been shown to leave the puppy unprotected once the mother's immunity in the pup has waned.  He also thinks that, if you are going to vaccinate, the prudent thing is to go with the three year cycle or titre testing.

I'm going to ask for Paddy to have titre testing at the end of January and I'll get Mark to assess the results and follow his recommendations. 

Denise

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2007, 10:45:30 AM »
Wow.  This has started something off and it's been fascinating to read everyone's views.

A couple of points - I feel very protective of Mark, although I've only met him once.  He's one of those people whom you know is just a "good person".  I haven't posted details to anyone other than Penel about everything that he told me to do with Pads, because it's very targeted and Paddy specific.  I suspect some of what he said (diet wise) would really surprise some on here - and he was the first to admit it would be trial and error with Pads because he's so much healthier as a result of raw feeding - running at 90% so the last 10% fine tuning is less obvious to nail down.  He also told me how to look for alternative sources of supply for the remedies to compare prices - so not exactly looking to nail the sidelines profit stream either!

(But Rachel - I didn't read your comments as being a challenge to Mark's integrity - it's right to consider "vested interests" - even if (as I do in Mark's case) you decide to discount it from your assessment).

On the issue of vaccinations - Paddy's breeder (and people who got pups from his litter) haven't had any problems with colitis in their dogs.  I hesitate to attribute Paddy's colitis to anything other than bad luck and it's tempting to "retro fit" any problems, but I do often wonder about vaccinations.

Out of interest, Mark's view on puppy vaccinations is that they shouldn't have their FIRST vaccinations till they're about 9 to ten weeks old and that there should then be a 3 to 4 week gap before their second vaccination.  This is because their mother's immunity (obtained from her during pregnancy and from milk after birth) fights the vaccination and has, in some research, been shown to leave the puppy unprotected once the mother's immunity in the pup has waned.  He also thinks that, if you are going to vaccinate, the prudent thing is to go with the three year cycle or titre testing.

I'm going to ask for Paddy to have titre testing at the end of January and I'll get Mark to assess the results and follow his recommendations. 

Denise

am delighted that your appointment went so well denny, you sound so much more positive about paddy ;)

it has been a really revealing and interesting thread  :D
helen & jarvis x

Offline *Theresa*

• Donator
« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2007, 12:39:37 PM »
Okay it may have been covered in this thread already so if I missed it I apologise.  I thought you had to keep your boosters up to date for their insurance to be valid. Am I wrong in this? :huh:
Theresa, Dave, Glen and Sally (or their aliases Gwendoline and Scallywag)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2007, 12:52:40 PM »
Okay it may have been covered in this thread already so if I missed it I apologise.  I thought you had to keep your boosters up to date for their insurance to be valid. Am I wrong in this? :huh:

It depends on the policy - some are worded in such a way that they are invalid if you don't vaccinate, others just exclude vaccinated illnesses  ;)
Oldies Club