Author Topic: What's your view on giving booster vaccinations?  (Read 14203 times)

Offline *Theresa*

• Donator
Re: What's your view on giving booster vaccinations?
« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2007, 01:05:16 PM »
Hmmm guess I need to go examine my policy then. Its a steep learning curve getting your first dog eh. Thank goodness for you lot.  :D
Theresa, Dave, Glen and Sally (or their aliases Gwendoline and Scallywag)

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2007, 01:05:16 PM »
Bella did have boosters last year and is due for them again in Feb - I'm going to ask my vet about the 3 yearly ones. We have quite a high incidence of Parvo in our area, lots of urban foxes. I'd rather NOT have my two done every year but I'll see what my vet says.
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2007, 05:33:23 PM »
Good point about the insurance policy: better go check my M&S policy....wherever it has got to!

Denise

Offline Shelley

• Site Member
  • Melody, Abi, Tia
« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2007, 11:02:16 PM »
I haven't read all the replies as there are soooo many! But here is what I think of yearly boosters.... They are not needed, and my dogs don't get them, and never have!

In my opinion, yearly boosters can cause health problems, it is what I have always thought. If you think about it, we live alot longer than a dog does, yet we don't need all these vaccines put into us, ours give us immunity for years.... So how come dog ones don't?

A few years ago I had a conversation with my vet about vaccinations. It was when my two Newfs were having their last puppy ones. He said dogs don't need them every year, and the vaccine companies agree. He also told me that some breeds can have problems with their immune system if they have their innoculations before 10 weeks of age, Cockers were one of the breeds he mentioned. But strangely enough as I was leaving the surgery with a rather large pup in my arms he said he would send me a reminder in a year.... He did, but I didn't bother to line his pocket with my money.

We are regularly at dog shows, or dog events with our lot, and we have never had any health problems with them. But I know several people who have had their dogs vaccinated every year and their dogs have had all kinds of health problems. One friend of mine took her 7 year old Newf for her yearly booster and the next day she couldn't get up and was in agony, she was PTS the day after, coincidence? I don't think so. My friend then decided to do a bit or research on the Internet and decided that after what she had read she would never have her dogs vaccinated yearly again.

I know if one of my lot pick up something horrible that they could have been vaccinated against that I would feel bad. But I think the chances of them becoming ill because of over vaccination is a much higher possibility.

Tia, Melody and Abi

RAW FED, CHEMICAL FREE DOGS!

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2007, 10:52:56 AM »
I don't usually contribute to debates on this because it (to me) is really just a matter for you and your heart.  As some of you will know, we finally lost Chloe in March last year to AIHA.  She never got vaccinated after the onset of her illness because it would have killed her for sure.  She managed seven years of not being vaccinated and although we were fussy about where we took her, I am sure you can never fully protect them from harm.  Because of her AIHA, she didn't just have a compromised immune system, she had no immune system at all and yet, she never caught anything other than little infections.  Maybe she was just lucky, I don't know.  I still vaccinate my other old girl and my puppy because I do not feel that there is a guaranteed viable alternative.  When there is, I will use it, no question.
I have lost a dog to AIHA and have never lost one to Parvo or Distemper but I cannot see for the life of me how one could be worse than the other.  Losing a pet just devastates you.  Period.
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2007, 01:06:51 PM »
We are regularly at dog shows, or dog events with our lot, and we have never had any health problems with them.

Are you allowed to enter un-vaccinated dogs into shows and events? The training classes I have been to expect dogs to be vaccinated........?  ph34r
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2007, 02:53:50 PM »
Are you allowed to enter un-vaccinated dogs into shows and events? The training classes I have been to expect dogs to be vaccinated........?  ph34r

You don't have to vaccinate your dog to be able to enter a KC show but all owners sign a declaration where they agree "not to bring to the Show any dog which has contracted or been knowingly exposed to any infectious or contagious disease during the 21 days prior to the day of the Show".
Jane

Offline Tori

• Shannara Leap of faith AKA Mr bubbalicious - Otis
« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2007, 03:02:23 PM »

I have lost a dog to AIHA and have never lost one to Parvo or Distemper but I cannot see for the life of me how one could be worse than the other.  Losing a pet just devastates you.  Period.

Never more true words spoken.  Damn if do and don't  :-\

Tori xx
Tori & Co x
aka the luscious Laney, Jessica ferret, Scrum bum Otis (pictured)and Sasha the basha welshie - sadly Sasha was set free to run at the bridge 13/01/11 to prevent further suffering.... Until we meet again sweet angel xx

Penel

« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2007, 04:25:32 PM »
I know loads of show people that don't vaccinate at all, and believe that their dogs are actually better off as they are "challenged" by all sorts of things at shows.  Mine go to agility, lurcher racing and lots of summer "fun" shows, and none of them are vaccinated regularly....

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #69 on: January 12, 2007, 12:49:49 PM »
Should I contact my vet in advance of the appointment to say I want titre testing carried out?  Does it need a special kit or will it just be taking blood and getting tests done?  What range of cost does titre testing involve?

Thanks.

Denise

Penel

« Reply #70 on: January 12, 2007, 01:10:38 PM »
My vets charge about £40 - and they send the bloods to Glasgow...
http://www.gla.ac.uk/companion/prevax.htm
I would ring your vets first to check that they will do it and how much they would charge.

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #71 on: January 12, 2007, 01:33:00 PM »
mine are given boosters according to their schedule appropriate for their pet passports.  If I miss or choose not to give booster vaccinations then my dogs pet passports are invalid.  You wait so long for the thing in the first place so that you can freely travel and pay a large fee for the process that not to do so would be a waste of time and of the passport.  Would be nice to be given the choice though, on preference I would rather titre test and then vaccinate if required.

I've been fortunate that none of my dogs have ever had a reaction to the injections given whether given seperately (which is a good option) or given as a group.  Does anyone keep records of particular lines that have a reaction and the type of reaction that they have had??  This might help in the decision process, I do know people whose dogs have had a bad enough reaction to some drugs that it has resulted in the loss of the dog (usually GA but an indicator was given when their initial vaccination and boosters were given came up in rather large lumps, dog lethargic etc).

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #72 on: January 12, 2007, 06:42:44 PM »
I'm not saying that this homeopathic vet is untrustworthy, just as Rachel says, he would promote what he does Penel. I'm sure he is very nice- but conventional vets also do rescue work, our practice gives HUGE discounts to charities, and loads of freebies, and I know three vets work voluntarily as well for the PDSA.

It's just as acceptable to question a homopathic vet's integrity as it is a conventional vet- if it's his own practice, more so-most of our vts aren't partnrs, so don't get more money for charging more! I'm sure the people who see him and their pet is much better think it's value for money-as do our clients who shower us with thankyou presents.

Maybe I understood your post, but you were saying his previous practice lost money-not his own which he now runs?
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #73 on: January 15, 2007, 10:58:04 AM »
We just received Buddy's vaccination reminder this morning, so I have been trawling through this thread and the 2004 one in more detail.

As a result of what I have read, I have checked and Buddy had Nobivac Lepto 2 and Nobivac DHPPI last year. I am happy with most of the information I got from the Datasheet, except for one thing. Can anyone clear this up for me please?

On the Datasheet it says that the DHPPI vacc gives 3 years immunity to Distemper, canine adenovirus and parvovirus. But only 1 years immunity to parainfuenza. As a result they recommend distemper. adenovirus and parvo be given every 3 years and para annually (presumably with the lepto).

So, does anyone do this?

I am pretty sure that when I talked it through with our vet last year he said that they give the DHPPI every 2 years and Lepto annually (I was reeling with information overload/elderly brain last year so didnt't discuss it further!) so it mat be that they only plan to give the Lepto this year anyway. It will be interesting to see what they try to give us when we go!!

Just off to check the owrding of our insurance policy. But I would think that so long as I choose to follow the drug manufacturers instructions they could not argue about his vaccination cover.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #74 on: January 15, 2007, 12:44:53 PM »
On the Datasheet it says that the DHPPI vacc gives 3 years immunity to Distemper, canine adenovirus and parvovirus. But only 1 years immunity to parainfuenza. As a result they recommend distemper. adenovirus and parvo be given every 3 years and para annually (presumably with the lepto).

So, does anyone do this?

Molo is on the three year schedule and has the Kennel Cough (parainfluenza) nasal spay vaccination annually because we use kennels, so is covered in that way  ;)
His KC vaccine schedule is different from his lepto - so he never has both together - hopefully, this helps reduce the chance of overloading his system  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club