Author Topic: Ticks again  (Read 6977 times)

scoobie

Ticks again
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2004, 11:05:05 AM »
Thanks George
yep this tick wasn't imbedded either but was attached as you say..will watch him though :wink:
Edith                    

scoobie

Ticks again
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2004, 01:29:36 PM »
Can anyone please tell me how to look for more ticks on my dog? sounds a stupid question but I thoroughly groomed scoobs last night and went on a mission looking for those damn things and couldn't see anything I came home from food shopping and as usual scoobs is hanging around cos food is about :wink: I stood on something that popped and crunched and said to my son what was that I looked on the floor and there was this disgusting mess it's funny how my mind works cos bearing in mind I had just been looking at blueberry muffins in the shop that's what I thought this was  :lol: I picked it up and it was oozing some dark brown stuff and then my lad says mom it's one of those ticks..well I suddenly developed a funny dance and my arms and legs just waved about ...so seriously do they hide or something this tick had been well fed do they just drop off when they have gorged :?: Help...
Edith                    

Offline gc

• Site Member
    • http://
Ticks again
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2004, 10:34:36 PM »
You can search only visually in combination with your fingers (for attached ticks). Most common places are the ears and neck but generally speaking... on the head. If you are lucky while searching, you can find them crawling from the legs towards the upper body where the actually settle down  :? Ticks are slow... so you have good chances of finding them. I always do a quick search on Balu once we get back from the fields, even though she wears a colar and a fluid.

Usually ticks, once they are attached, do not leave the host's body even if they are fed well. This is done with the fleas. The fleas are feeding themselves... and then leave! That's why, if you find fleas, you must clean all the areas where the animal rests. If you find a tick on the floor, then you are lucky ;-)

By the way, if a tick is well fed, its belly is like a small pea... so.... ;-)

Anyway, don't worry, it's the warm weather.... we are full of ticks down here if that comforts you ;-) A month ago I found an alive one on Balu's leg and 3 more dead near her...and every week I find a couple more... usually dead, actually the last one was attached on her ear and died!!! So, cheer up, arm youself with patient and a good fluid/colar for the dog. :-)

g'luck
George.                    
George.
The truth is out there..... and a cocker can easily find it ;-)

Offline biscuit

• Site Member
Ticks again
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2004, 03:25:56 PM »
Having read the comments on ticks, can I have advice please.

We've returned from holidaying in Wales.  First day there Molly had tick on her ear (white horrible thing which I removed).  Pet shop said I had caught it before it had attached itself properly and gave us some "Tick off".   When we arrived home, she had another lodged in her ear, used "Tick off".   Tick looked like dried piece of brown sweetcorn, after a couple of days removed it, but now she has a small dried lump on her ear.  Does this mean the head is still in there?  Molly is not suffering/ill in any way.

Any advice.                    
mollypooch

scoobie

Ticks again
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2004, 06:18:11 PM »
Hi Mollypooch
did you just pull tick out without twisting it? as you may have left the head in like you say :shock: ticks are nasty things and scoobie got his ticks from wales too..I have found a few more since my last post apparently they are so small to start with that you can't see the little blighters :wink: then they grow and by the time we spot them they have already attached themselves I bought a tick remover from the vet it's like a hook and they are good for removing them completely I held scoobs while hubby pulled it out and he said he really did have to twist to get it out so if I was you I would get a second opinion I put vaseline on to suffocate it first you can use anything alcohol based such as gin.. :wink: then dab the spot afterwards with any antiseptic
good luck
Edith                    

Offline dsmandspanna

• Site Member
Ticks again
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2004, 10:57:04 AM »
hi there,

ticks are such a  nuisance here.. :( ..especially in the woods)

i tried frontline...it seems to allow the ticks to attach  :shock:  and then kill them once they feed.. :roll:

personally.....thats too late for me ...the thought of them makes my toes curl... :? ..so now i use "SCALIBOR" .......its a tick/flea/moscito collar

not only have i not seen a single tick on  spanna..since using it...
she's protected against the deadly leishmanoiosis...which moscitos in europe can carry...and is a big problem out here....

the scalibor  collar costs about £13.50..and lasts 4 months.....but there are other cheaper brands if you feel you dont need the moscito protection

anyhooo.....have fun.....take care
luv dawn and spanna                    

Offline dsmandspanna

• Site Member
Ticks again
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2004, 07:55:28 PM »
hi there...me again.... 8)
ive just thought of something that might be of use to folks regarding ticks...especially if going on holiday in europe this year

last year when i visited munich /germany......at the doctors ...there was a big poster on the wall highlighting areas of europe where ticks are known to be carrying   a disease that affects humans....
i cant recall the disease name.....but it attacks the lining of the brain and is very serious.....the tick bites and you get no symptoms for 9 MONTHS.......then a red band/rash appers on the neck...

munich.itself..was not an area affected...so its not all of mainland europe....just pockets.......but if you are a serious walker /backpacker....in germany you are advised to get the innoculation....

i am trying to get more info...as i cant remember if  the balaerics were affected........and will keep you posted if i learn more

xx dawn and spanna 8)                    

Offline annemie

• Site Member
    • http://members.chello.nl/~a.notten1/
Ticks again
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2004, 06:42:06 AM »
I guess that you mean Lyme dissease. Our Joris has have Lyme disease in March. He was almost a month on antibi's. He recoverd well. Dogs have symtomes from attacks from high fever, diaree, don't want to eat.

Now we are just a week back from France. In France Joep went very ill he have had babesiose. We are so lucky that he has cardiomyopathy. Because of that we went in a very early stage to the vet because he wasn't eating for 2 days. We thought that he had problems with his heart, but his heart was ok so the vet took some blood. Now he is fine.

We used: frontline, scalibor and stronghold  :?  and still he got ill. We checked our boys every evening and we didn't find a thick anywhere. The vet in France recommend aventix. That isn't for sale here in Holland, so I bought enough for next year, when we go back  :P                    
Greetings,

Annemie and a big kiss from Joep, Joris and Henry

[img width= height=]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v336/annemiejojo/Webfiets.jpg[/img]

scoobie

Ticks again
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2004, 09:25:32 AM »
Hi annemie
aahh poor little Joris he certainly had a rough time :( glad to hear he is better now
Love and kisses for Joris
Edith and scoobie xx                    

Offline annemie

• Site Member
    • http://members.chello.nl/~a.notten1/
Ticks again
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2004, 09:29:16 AM »
Thank you Edith, he loves them all :lol:                    
Greetings,

Annemie and a big kiss from Joep, Joris and Henry

[img width= height=]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v336/annemiejojo/Webfiets.jpg[/img]

Offline fudgesmammy

• Site Member
Ticks again
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2004, 07:43:21 AM »
Does anyone know if ticks will drop their eggs in houses or on dogs??
We've got a relly scary tick count in our house right now- we both had ticks on our legs last night when we went to bed and stu had a tick in his foot this morning, I keep finding the little Sh**s crawling towards fudges eyebrows (a favourite place to feed it seems). They're all really really tiny and black and it looks like they've just hatched- could it be that we've got a tick factory somewhere in our house???
Fudge does get out on long walks in the forest every day so she could just be bringing loads in but there are so many its a bit worrying.
Any ideas??                    
Eilidh, Fudge and Harry

Offline Tracey J

• Site Member
Ticks again
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2004, 09:59:21 AM »
Re. the tortoise, I took Molly to the vet as I thought she had a growth on her nose (it was beige coloured like her skin).  After worrying myself sick about it - guess what - big fat tick :lol:   Vet must have thought I was mad :oops:                    
Tracey, Molly &  little brother Brodie!

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Ticks again
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2004, 10:41:24 AM »
keep finding the little Sh**s crawling towards fudges eyebrows (a favourite place to feed it seems). They're all really really tiny and black and it looks like they've just hatched- could it be that we've got a tick factory somewhere in our house???

That sounds like fleas to me  :?                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Ticks again
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2004, 10:50:57 AM »
Yes, I agree with Gilly, these sound like fleas not ticks :wink: You'll need to treat Fudge with a treatment like Frontline (from the vet) & you'll also need to treat your whole house or you'll never get rid of the little blighters.

Jane                    
Jane

Offline fudgesmammy

• Site Member
Ticks again
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2004, 06:27:14 PM »
I don't think they are fleas- they did the whole sticking into me and Stuart thing and had to be twisted out with the tick tool- I thought fleas just munched and hopped away elsewhere??
Fudge is on program once a month in her dinner and she always eats it- shouldn't this safeguard agfainst beasties?                    
Eilidh, Fudge and Harry