Author Topic: Meningitis  (Read 3819 times)

Offline Jamie and Penny

• Limited Member
    • http://
Meningitis
« on: June 14, 2009, 08:49:25 AM »
Hi all,

I wonder if anyone has experienced Meningitis in dogs, we have a 1 year old that one day was really quite not her usual bouncing self but never went off her food, so we booked her into the vets, that day she went outside and collapsed she couldnt get back up. We rushed her over to the vets and they were great with her and the symtoms I described hunched back didnt like her neck touched stiff back legs they advised it maybe Meningitis. The vets kept her there and started on anti biotics and steroids and she had loads of tests. They confirmed that it was Meningitis. We brought her home and in a fews days she was fine been back to vets and they are happy with her, she is on steroids for the next few months and they advised that when they tapper her off them it could go one way or the other.
Today she has had a big seizure which lasted around 4 minutes she is really tired afterwards, but she has eating her breakfast, my concerns are that if she is having seizures does this mean that she isnt going to recover. I just want her to be happy and hate seen her like this.
The vet advised that this may happen, and she is not out the woods yet. I feel helpless.

Thanks
Penny

Offline cazza

• Site Member
Re: Meningitis
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 08:59:35 AM »
OMG what a fright for you and still knowing that she is not out the woods yet

That seizure doesn't sound too good - i hope it is a one off and she makes a full recovery  :luv:

Sorry I haven't had any dealing with meningitis in dogs - my eldest child had it when he was 6 months so I have some idea as to how worried / scared etc you are

I send a load of positive thoughts from here and loads of love and hugs  :luv:

Offline Jamie and Penny

• Limited Member
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 09:18:00 AM »
Thanks for your thoughts, I dont post on here very often, but I thought I would ask if anyone had experienced it. Just want her to pull through. I have spoke to the breeder and there is no seizures in the breeding so thats good news. The vet said it is all connected, fingers crossed.

Penny

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 09:25:03 AM »

How worrying for you!

If the vet isn't too worried about the seizure, I would try to follow his lead - as meningitis causes inflammation in the brain, it's not suprising that she had a seizure and while it is very scary, it doesn't mean your dog will go on to develop epilepsy (or any other cause of recurrent seizures) - the being very sleepy afterwards is perfectly normal, and it's a really good sign that she's still eating, as seizures can cause people (and I assume dogs) to go off their food for a while too.

I hope she continues to respond to the steriods and that it goes well when they are tapered off - thinking of you and her!
 :luv:
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline Heatherb88uk

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 06:35:39 PM »
Sorry no experience or advice to give, but want to send tons of healing vibes and mega hugs to you all at this worring and frightening time, fingers and paws crossed that the meds work love Heather xxx  :luv:

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 06:37:02 AM »
Penny how is she doing today?

Love and hugs  :luv:

Offline Jamie and Penny

• Limited Member
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 06:50:56 AM »
Hi Thanks for your thoughts, Poppy is not herself she has dirtied in her crate this morning which she has never done before, she has eating her breakfast, however she has never gone off her food. Fingers crossed she comes through it. I'm so worried as she was fine the the first week when she was put on the anti biotic and steroids and now she seems as if she has deteriorated, I'm going to ring vets today for advice.

Thanks

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 07:36:00 AM »
Penny - love and hugs to you and your family

Let us know what the vet says  - loads of positive thoughts heading your way from here  :luv:

Offline lindseyp

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 08:19:43 AM »
So, so sorry to hear that your baby is proper poorly at the moment  :'( . No advice I'm afraid, as I have no experience of meningitis but we send healing thoughts & prayers from all of us here  :luv: :luv: :luv:  and hope your little girl is on the mend soon  :-* .
Does she seem any better today?  :-*
If your dog thinks you're the best.....don't seek a second opinion!!

Offline cadbury

• Site Member
  • My wonderful Family oh and me
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2009, 06:05:45 PM »
hows Poppy today hope she is on the mend :luv: :luv: :luv: I had meningitas and took me a long while to get over it  :shades:love and hugs Ann
Hi from ANN,Bailey, Minstrel and Merlin the cat.
My animals are the light through dark days
Update.... Bailey died yesterday age 14 .. Minstrel 8yrs ago age 17
Merlin 10 yrs ago age 17
I have now Ellaween age 7 and Willow age 2 both working type cockers Ella black and Tan and Willow choc n Tan.

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2009, 07:17:23 PM »
I hope Poppy will make a full recovery.

Offline Jamie and Penny

• Limited Member
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2009, 08:08:48 PM »
Thanks for all your kind words, Poppy is really sleepy today, she is eating and drinking and going to the toilet, so fingers crossed.
I will keep you all updated once again thanks for the kindness.

Penny

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2009, 09:13:14 PM »
Awww Penny as long as she is eating, drinking and going to the loo  sleeping is most prob the best thing for her at the mo

will keep checking for updates on her and you  :luv:

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2009, 10:07:01 PM »
I have no experience of mennigitis or seizures in dogs, but just want to say I'm thinking of you both and hope she pulls through.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline Jamie and Penny

• Limited Member
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2009, 10:41:48 AM »
Hi all,
Im taking Poppy to the vets at 11.40 today. She is comfortable and still eating but she is just not herself and was doing so well. She is crying when I touch her neck so im getting her checked out.

Fingers crossed, and ill update you later today.

Thanks Penny