Author Topic: Inflammatory Bowel Disease  (Read 843 times)

Offline LROGERS

• Site Member
    • http://
Inflammatory Bowel Disease
« on: January 20, 2005, 02:05:26 PM »
After about 8 months of repeated illness, we decided enough, and had a biopsy performed of Toffee our 18 month old working Cocker.
We purchased Toffee from an unknown source without paperwork and she was the runt of the litter, we knew this and chose her because she looked like she needed our help.
She is diagnosed as having 'Inflammatory Bowel Disease'
Following the vets advice Toffee is now taking Steroids.
At the moment we are a little concerned, Toffee has only been taking them for about 4 weeks and is starting to bulk out, she’s not flabby, just becoming large and solid. I estimate her weight has increased by 10% so far. Her ideal weight is around  10 – 11kgs
Has anyone else had a dog with this condition, if so, how did you manage it.
Toffee has been on a prescription diet (part digested proteins) for about 7 months, to help with her digestion. This hasn’t helped with her sickness, only rules out any illness caused by a potential food allergy. She is also taking antibiotics, and for the moment is fighting fit, I suspect (based on our experience) once she stops taking these, she will be ill again.
I am not questioning our vet at all, but would welcome any experienced comments with respect to this illness, so I may discuss this with the vet if we feel the need.
Thanks in advance of your comments.

Lyndon

Offline Snoodydoody

• Site Member
Inflammatory Bowel Disease
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2005, 10:50:35 AM »
Hi

My blue roan bitch, Truda, has IBS since she was 18 mths old and she is now 6 yrs and in good health.

The first signs were that she would yelp especially when she wanted a poo and would scurry off to her bed.
After further investigations she was diagnosed with IBS.

She had to be given 1.5ml of Zantac Syrup, which I  have now dropped to 1ml before each meal, ( I order thro' the vet) and two meals of Selected Protein Tapioca and Caplin and touch wood she is fine.
She has the 'odd' yelp and scurry and retreats to her bed but soon gets over it after a bit of comfort.

She doesn't have any other treats, just her food, which I feel very rotten about but it just makes her worse if she does.

Hope this helps,

Heather.