Author Topic: Puppy Heart Murmur  (Read 3450 times)

Offline crazyspaniels

• Site Member
Puppy Heart Murmur
« on: January 24, 2005, 07:27:29 PM »
Right, I helped a family find a really nice cocker puppy from a reputable breeder, they have had it diagnosed with a heart murmur at 8 weeks, the breeder is great and has offered them a refund, which they turned down, or half their money back to help with costs. Anyway anyone know about murmurs in cocker puppies, do they normally sort themselves out, none of the rest of the litter have a problem, he is only just in his new home and I am trying to reassure them

Freya and Cockers Bilbo and Dobbie, not forgetting the Springers Willow and Paddy

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Puppy Heart Murmur
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2005, 07:33:37 PM »
it is not uncommon for young puppies to register a murmer - that's what my vet told me anyway. In most as I understand it it just rights itself as they grow.

At least the breeders doing what's reasonable - which is good.

hope the puppy is OK.
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Kim

• Site Member
    • Molkara Cocker Spaniels
Puppy Heart Murmur
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2005, 07:40:57 PM »
I bought a dog in which when I took it for it's 1st injections, had a heart murmer.
By the time it was 12 weeks old & went for it's 2nd injections the murmer had disappeared  :)
www.Molkara.co.uk

Save the earth; it's the only planet with chocolate.

Offline crazyspaniels

• Site Member
Puppy Heart Murmur
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2005, 07:54:05 PM »
I bought a dog in which when I took it for it's 1st injections, had a heart murmer.
By the time it was 12 weeks old & went for it's 2nd injections the murmer had disappeared  :)
Did the vet intially diagnose it is a bad one or a very slight one??

Freya and Cockers Bilbo and Dobbie, not forgetting the Springers Willow and Paddy

Offline PollyKay

• Site Member
Puppy Heart Murmur
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2005, 08:31:17 PM »
Sammy had a slight heart murmer since he was a young dog - he lived to 15 years with no problems from it.  He had various operations for non-heart related problems in his teens with no visible problems.  Just make sure you have regular check-ups with the vet (your dog I mean).  
Polly (& Sidney the Cavalier)[/size]

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
Puppy Heart Murmur
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2005, 08:36:20 PM »
When we first took Nell ( Lab) to the vet at nine weeks she was diagnosed with a heart murmur, the vet told us not to worry that it might go, but it didn't,  Our breeder did offer  to take her back,  she has a grade two heart murmur, she's four now, and it doesn't bother her at all.  :)
We don't treat her any differently than any other dog weve had, she gets at least three hours a day exercise, and runs like a greyhound  :D
  Nell is a realy hyper girl, and to restrict her in anyway wouldn't be fair to her, my vet agreed with me, up to now she has been fine, with no treatment at all  :D

I'm sure there vet will advice them on the best way to deal with it, if the murmur doesn't go.  
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline lizzy

• Site Member
    • http://
Puppy Heart Murmur
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2005, 08:42:59 PM »
My Evie was diagnosed with a heart murmur when she had her first injection, she still had it at the second one, my vet said it was only slight and not to worry. She will be going for her annual check up in March so it will be interesting to see if she still has it. She looks a very healthy girl and is forever on the go!

Lizzy Molly and Evie

Offline PennyB

Puppy Heart Murmur
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2005, 08:52:38 PM »
Same here, but it was very slight anyway. Spoke to breeder who said this is quite common.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Kim

• Site Member
    • Molkara Cocker Spaniels
Puppy Heart Murmur
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2005, 09:10:33 PM »
By the time it was 12 weeks old & went for it's 2nd injections the murmer had disappeared  :)
Did the vet intially diagnose it is a bad one or a very slight one??
It was a slight one
www.Molkara.co.uk

Save the earth; it's the only planet with chocolate.

Offline Nat

• Site Member
    • http://www.crazycockers.homestead.com
Puppy Heart Murmur
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2005, 10:21:30 PM »
Same here, when I took my first cocker for a check up at the vet, he said she had a slight murmer., when she went for her annual check up a year later there was nothing to be found ..
Nat

Simbarra Cocker Spaniels
www.crazycockers.homestead.com

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Puppy Heart Murmur
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2005, 11:36:12 PM »
Yes we've experienced the same, slight murmur detected at first vaccination & then no murmur when the time came for the second jab. This seems relatively common as our vet was very blase about it. I imagine it's different if a serious murmur is detected & would be less likely to disappear with time.

Jane
Jane

Offline PennyB

Puppy Heart Murmur
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2005, 11:38:42 PM »
Yes we've experienced the same, slight murmur detected at first vaccination & then no murmur when the time came for the second jab. This seems relatively common as our vet was very blase about it. I imagine it's different if a serious murmur is detected & would be less likely to disappear with time.

Jane
So was mine, so much so he didn't even put in on the system (he said he would if it appeared again)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline crazyspaniels

• Site Member
Puppy Heart Murmur
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2005, 09:35:49 AM »
They were told it was quite a bad one, but none of the other puppies in the litter have the same problem so I am hopeful it will right itself, the first check up can cause alot of stress (he is only 8 weeks so this was just a check) and I think it can make a small problem seem worse, fingers crossed. He has his first and second injections to come so I will hope for a good outcome, maybe his dad might update you as I told the family about the site and how lovely and helpful you lot are. :D  

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
Puppy Heart Murmur
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2005, 12:59:16 PM »
Your friend may wish to try some herbs for the condition. They are non toxic and can be used with or without any conventional medecines. Rosemary and honey are good for the heart. Rosemary herb has all of the 3 medicinal properties necessary in heart treatment: it is tonic, cleansing, and also a nervine. Honey is the only known heart stimulant and restorant which is not a drug and which is not habit forming.

From Karen
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.