Author Topic: Constipated cocker  (Read 1057 times)

Offline Dunton4

• Site Member
Constipated cocker
« on: May 01, 2006, 09:29:57 AM »
Tilly is having real problems doing her poos after her spaying operation on Friday.  She spends ages squatting and straining, but nothing comes out and she is getting quite distressed  :huh:.  She has not "produced" anything since her op.  Does anyone know of anything I can give her to help her out?  She is eating and drinking normally.

Thanks.

Sue and Tilly

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
Re: Constipated cocker
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 10:00:06 AM »
I would give the vet a call if she's straining and getting distressed Sue  ;)
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 10:08:55 AM »
I agree  about phoning the vet just incase the straining has any effect of her stitches  :-\ not sure if it will but that would be my initital thought.

Oily fish would help to get her bowels moving, or one that always works is some wettabix (sp)  :D

Hoipe she is feeling better soon, bless her cocker socks  :luv:

Offline Tracey Jane

• Site Member
  • We're just silly about Milly
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 11:53:34 AM »
After Milly's op she found it uncomfortable to go to the toilet when she pood and weed.  When she was trying to poo she would wander around and around until she got comfortable and then do little bits and when she tried to wee she kept on doing little wees instead of one long one.  I was quite concerned and kept an eye on her but then after the initial first couple of days she was ok.  I assumed it was the soreness of her muscles and tightness of the stitches.

I agree about phoning the vets if she's straining and distressed though just to be on the safe side.

Hope she feels better soon bless her  :luv:

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 12:50:34 PM »
I would deffo phone the vets. I could be a sign that something's not right. Regaining bowel activity after an op is important. Your vet needs to know that she's struggling. Plus he should be able to tell you what to do to help her out.

Do let us know he she goes on.
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 01:45:17 PM »
Phone the vets - it may just be she neds some lactulose, but it's important she gets things moving like Pammy says.
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Dunton4

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006, 10:52:52 AM »
Thanks Guys, just to update you, the vet gave Tilly an enema, which had an immediate effect.  Her "doings" were very hard though, so I am trying to encourage her to drink more water.

Sue and Tilly

Offline PennyB

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2006, 11:40:03 AM »
As Shona suggested the lactulose can soften things as well (its cheaper to buy it at the chemist!)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2006, 02:03:10 PM »
Main thing with humans and dogs re: lactulose is upping the water intake.  When Paddy was constipated a bit, I found that he'd drink more (and more often) if I held the bowl for him!