Author Topic: Buster has panceaitus  (Read 1469 times)

Offline kenjill

• Site Member
Buster has panceaitus
« on: April 26, 2006, 07:11:32 PM »
Hello

My cocker spaniel Buster has suffered realy badly the last few years with panceaitus, he is 10 years old now and I must say the last bout really took it out of him.

He has been put on a light diet, but he will not eat anything except chicken & rice.

Can anyone help me in this matter.

Also he has really slowed down.

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Re: Buster has panceaitus
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 08:17:23 PM »
So sorry to hear about Busters troubles :'(  I can't offer any advice i'm afraid, perhaps your vet can help?

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 08:23:28 PM »
Hi,

Welcome to COL, I too, am sorry to hear about Busters problems.

I hope you can find a soloution. I do not know anything about panceaitus. I am sorry

CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 08:45:20 PM »
Long term you'll nd to atick to a low fat/protein diet, so I don't know how good an idea chicken is - I'd defo ask the vet, I know you can get digestive enzymes to hlp too, but again the vet is th best one to ask.
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 09:29:39 PM »
Welcome to COL  :D

I have no experience with pancreatitus either, but just wanted to say hi!  ;)
Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

Offline honeysmun

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2006, 10:39:48 PM »
Hi
     My cocker Merlin suffered with Panceaitus for some years, my vet put him on Hill's I/D which you can only buy from your vets,  he had to have two small 4 oz feeds each day. I would buy the very large bag it cost around £50, but it worked out alot cheaper to buy it that way and then I would weigh and bag up a number of weeks feeds at a time so if we had to go away I always had his food ready, because he could not have any thing else to eat, because it may trigger the Panceaitus off again, I always carried some in the car.I found that he never had any more problems with his Panceaitus as long as he kept to his Hill's I/D. I hope Buster is soon better sending him and you lots of hugs, please PM me if you you like to talk more.

Val (Honeysmum)

Offline Shazza

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2006, 09:23:14 AM »
Hi,

Jarvis has had pancreatitus twice in 2 years.  The first time it was touch and go if he would survive and the second I got him to the vets as soon as I had my suspicions.  We have tried him on the prescription food from the vet but it upsets his stomach.  At the moment he is eating Wagg Chicken, Rice and Veg dried food, he's fed twice a day.   So far so good.  Jarvis is 9 years old.

Hope Buster is feeling better soon.

Sharoon and Jarvis

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2006, 09:48:54 AM »
A friend whose dog has this is on the Hill's diet too, but her vet also recommended the Nature Diet enzyme powder called NatureZyme - Paddy's on this too and it helps with his colitis.  It's a powder which you sprinkle a level teaspoon or so onto each meal.

Offline Tori

• Shannara Leap of faith AKA Mr bubbalicious - Otis
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2006, 02:00:03 PM »
Hi

So sorry to hear about  Buster...hope he is on the mend :luv:

My old lady, Lace, suffered with acute pancreatitis for most of her 13 yrs.  When she had her initial bout she was in the vets for 2 wks and was gradually re introduced to food with hills K9 i/d, very very small amount to start with.  We kept her on this for a couple of months then my vet suggested that we changed her on to chappie and pasta......This worked a treat and she stayed on this for the rest of her life.  Every now and then she would have a flare up, normally if she managed to steal something she shouldn't >:(, and when this happened we managed to control her by starving her until she seemed more comfortable then would do the same as before with the tiny amounts little and often of the chappie.  Obviously we were still in contact with the vet throughout these.  Jessica, my oldest cocker now, developed the same problem last year and she was on the same protocol up until her recent liver probs, and this as also worked well.
The most important thing to remember is that it is mainly triggered by fat so try to really avoid this as much as possible.  This is a very painful condition so that may account to him slowing down.  I remember Jessica was a lot quieter when she had it but she back to her normal self now
I have recently been told that Cambridge vet school are actually doing a study in to pancreatitis and cockers as it appears to be quite common in our lovely breed >:( ......I know of many more cockers that have been afficted with it.

Any way i hope this helps...give Buster lots of hugs and kiss from my guys :luv:

Tori and co xx

PS - meant to say Hills i/d is basically tinned chicken and rice
Tori & Co x
aka the luscious Laney, Jessica ferret, Scrum bum Otis (pictured)and Sasha the basha welshie - sadly Sasha was set free to run at the bridge 13/01/11 to prevent further suffering.... Until we meet again sweet angel xx

Penel

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2006, 12:18:28 AM »
Turkey is lower in fat than chicken, or white fish ?
Basically with pancreatitis you need to be extremely careful with diet..... Saffy had it twice too - it can be really nasty.

Offline JaneES

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2006, 10:10:11 PM »
Sorry to read about Buster.  My oldie Simon - now 14 (15 in August  ;) ) suffers from this and is on a very strict diet of Hills - he was on the chicken and rice but became intolerant to chicken, so he is now on the venison one and does very well indeed.  He is fed one and a half tins a day in 4-5 small feeds. No scraps, no treats whatsoever.  He has been hospitalised 3 times over the past few years, but thankfully has come through it all.  My friends wee cocker was diagnosed with Pancreatitis after she ate some poison, but after 6 months starting gettting fed her normal food again and she hasnt looked back. 

I wish you all the best with Buster
Jane (owned by Charlie, Frankie,Jaymae & Callum)

Offline JaneES

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2006, 10:20:12 PM »
Jill,

How is Buster, I have been thinking about him every day.

Jane (owned by Charlie, Frankie,Jaymae & Callum)