Author Topic: Home cooked dog food  (Read 1792 times)

Offline sharesy

• Site Member
Home cooked dog food
« on: September 17, 2006, 09:33:46 PM »
Kalli has never seemed to really enjoy her food, I have tried JWB, Nature Diet, Natures menu, and Burns. :huh:

Yesterday I cooked chicken breasts and brown rice, mixed in some grated raw carrot and peas. She absolutely demolished it in seconds and looked for more. :o

If I continued to feed her this what else would she need to complete her diet?  Could someone advise me please?

I would vary the meat and veg of course. She enjoyed it so much I would like to continue to prepare her meals myself.  So I would be grateful for any help.

Offline jann

• Site Member
Re: Home cooked dog food
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2006, 09:56:24 PM »
 ;) I feed Flo this way. with the brown rice she has a variety of cooked meats including lamb hearts, turkey mince, beef mince, liver, fish and any other meats I add grated vegetables, carrot, parsnip, broccoli, cabbage just about anything really! (I also add any cooked veg I have left over from our meals ) I also add some Wafcol bonemeal for calcium!

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 02:38:51 PM »
Take a look at the Dorwest Herbs site - I use Keeper's Mix, which provides vitamins and minerals - but I'm feeding raw food, not cooked, but it's not a product that's recommended solely for raw feeders.  Don't use Brewer's Yeast or any yeast products as their guts don't like it apparently - can cause a lot of bloating as it "rises" in their tums.

In the raw food books I read, one of the authors recommended that the veg should be varied/mixed to achieve a range of colours eaten and a balance between "below ground veg" - like carrots, potatoes, - and "above ground veg" - broccoli, peppers, tomatoes - as a rule of thumb to get the balance right. 

One thing I learned which really shocked me, is that dogs have little nutritional need for carbohydrates, unlike humans.  They'd only take in quite small quantities in the wild - e.g. the contents of a rabbit's stomach.  Their body chemistry, digestion & metabolism are all designed to take their energy requirements almost exclusively from protein.  This is why many "raw feeders" advise against using rice or cereals in any quantity or at all, as they wouldn't feature in/be required for a balanced diet.  They're used in processed foods because they are cheap bulk.

Might also be worth asking your butcher for some raw bones each week - beef or lamb - so your dog can eat it raw (don't give cooked bones - they splinter) and get the micro-nutrients from the bones.

Good luck.

Denise

Offline sharesy

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 03:57:37 PM »
Thankyou Denise and Jann for your replies, they were very helpful. :blink:

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 05:38:37 PM »
Gosh Brenda, your menu sounds great! Do you want to come and cook for me too??  ;) :005: :005:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline sharesy

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 07:51:00 PM »
Gosh Brenda, your menu sounds great! Do you want to come and cook for me too??  ;) :005: :005:

My OH would be lucky to get the same every day, let alone anyone else. :lol: :lol:

Penel

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2006, 12:41:24 PM »
Denise you have been a very good student I'm impressed  ;) :D

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2006, 08:48:58 PM »
Denise you have been a very good student I'm impressed  ;) :D

Thanks!!!

OH calls it anal retentiveness though....Last time he said this, I explained what anal glands were.  Put him right off his steak... ph34r