Author Topic: When To Change Food?  (Read 833 times)

Offline jilly

• Site Member
    • http://
When To Change Food?
« on: September 25, 2004, 09:22:34 PM »
[size=8]Hiya

Just some advice please...... feeding Ronnie (5mths) on Puppy Complete Pouches one mrng & one evening, they are small pouches, i wanted to change to a complete dry food which im changing over to gradually now, but when i took him to be sized up for his new collar the woman said he was fat  :(  i said its 'puppy fat' coz he's all scrummy and fluffy and makes him look fat...she asked what i was feeding him and said that i should feed him adult food now as the puppy food has so many added extra's thats why he's fat..im confused :(

I walk him for at least an hour everyday and he loves to be let off the lead to run and run, so its not lack of exersize and he gets hardly any treats, so am i overfeeding him? and do i change food to adult? then do i feed once or twice a day?
[/size]

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
When To Change Food?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2004, 11:14:56 PM »
The time to change over to adult food is when a puppy has stopped growing, so normally 8 or 9 months is the right time (certainly not 5 months!). I wouldn't take any notice of this woman - inexperienced people frequently mistake fluffy Cocker puppies for fat puppies, it does not mean they are fat ;) Have a look at the recent "Is she Fat?" thread further down this board - it might put your mind at rest :)

Jane
Jane

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
When To Change Food?
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2004, 11:18:51 PM »
5 months is a little early to start feeding adult, We didnt change over until 10months. We didnt bother with junior food either  :huh:
He needs the puppy food just now and all its added nutrients as he is still growing and developing very fast.
I am not an expert but I don't hear any of the more experienced members on here saying puppies should be thin - they all say they should be chunkier incase they get an upset tum...then they can cope better.
I am sure someone else will come along and help you soon.
Jane

Offline PennyB

When To Change Food?
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2004, 02:06:39 AM »
Mine both went on to adult food at about 9 months old. Cocker pups do look huge with all their fluff but its feeling their ribcage thats the most important.

I tend to feed mine twice a day as adults (at least that way greedy cockers get something to look forward to LOL).
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline jilly

• Site Member
    • http://
When To Change Food?
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2004, 05:56:41 PM »
Thanks for your replies, im not going to listen to that woman, and he aint fat! ha ha anyway i love him fluffy and round it wont last for long