Author Topic: sensitive stomach  (Read 8944 times)

Offline xlisax

• Site Member
  • Ellie & Max
Re: sensitive stomach
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2008, 04:36:32 PM »
well im now the proud owner of a small bag of potato & pork burns and max has just had the first potion mixed in with his id meat so fingers crossed he is gonna be ok with it :shades:

Cazzie

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2008, 06:12:28 PM »
well im now the proud owner of a small bag of potato & pork burns and max has just had the first potion mixed in with his id meat so fingers crossed he is gonna be ok with it :shades:

Thats great, keep us posted  :shades:

Offline xlisax

• Site Member
  • Ellie & Max
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2008, 05:28:34 PM »
well he seems to have gone completely the other way ::) he has just had his 3rd meal with his new dinner mixed in and not had a poo at all today :005:

do you know if burns have a little measuring cup or do i need to buy some scales :shades:

Cazzie

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2008, 06:08:13 PM »
well he seems to have gone completely the other way ::) he has just had his 3rd meal with his new dinner mixed in and not had a poo at all today :005:

do you know if burns have a little measuring cup or do i need to buy some scales :shades:

They do have a cup or you could measure it out on the scales  :D

Offline xlisax

• Site Member
  • Ellie & Max
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2008, 08:17:41 PM »
where can i get the cup from  :blink:

Cazzie

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2008, 08:34:58 PM »
where can i get the cup from  :blink:

Pm me I will post you one if you like or you should be able to get it from the place you bought the food  ;)

Offline xlisax

• Site Member
  • Ellie & Max
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2008, 06:09:00 PM »
thanks for the very kind offer but ive got some scales now, i spose they will come in hangy for other things too ::)

well things are looking very good so far he is having it mixed in slowly but if he was going to have a reation i think it would have shown itself by now ph34r

fingers crossed x

Offline wend

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2008, 06:27:24 PM »
People will doubtless shout at me, but cheap smelly Chappie has saved me from pricey prescription foods for m y springer with gut probs. I was using JWB lamb and potato which is excellent, but stopped working for us because  it is very bland flavoured. The flavour couldn't mask the nasty powder we have to mix in even when soaked.  She wouldn't eat it except off  a spoon, and lost weight and had pain and loose poo. I checked with vet, who approved, saying before the new special foods were invented, vet school taught them chappie,chappie,chappie! You could always supplement it.  Dogs love it, and its working a treat for us.

Couldn't agree more, Harvey has always had trouble with loose poo. Vet suggested 'Chappie' and it sorted him out straight away. We have changed to Burns dried food, but after what I have just had to clear up in the kitchen and the conservatory  :o  I think I'm going to go back to 'Chappie'

Cazzie

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2008, 06:49:02 PM »
People will doubtless shout at me, but cheap smelly Chappie has saved me from pricey prescription foods for m y springer with gut probs. I was using JWB lamb and potato which is excellent, but stopped working for us because  it is very bland flavoured. The flavour couldn't mask the nasty powder we have to mix in even when soaked.  She wouldn't eat it except off  a spoon, and lost weight and had pain and loose poo. I checked with vet, who approved, saying before the new special foods were invented, vet school taught them chappie,chappie,chappie! You could always supplement it.  Dogs love it, and its working a treat for us.

Couldn't agree more, Harvey has always had trouble with loose poo. Vet suggested 'Chappie' and it sorted him out straight away. We have changed to Burns dried food, but after what I have just had to clear up in the kitchen and the conservatory  :o  I think I'm going to go back to 'Chappie'

How long has your dog been on the Burns diet :-\  Also all  dogs do get the runs now and again just like us  :D

Offline wend

• Site Member
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2008, 07:57:29 PM »
He's been on it for about 6 months, the trouble is he keeps having bouts of runny poo. I tend to just use small chunks of cheese or chicken for training as most other things don't agree with him. I treated him to a couple of tins of 'Chappie' over christmas and we were back to normal, so much easier to clean up.

Offline xlisax

• Site Member
  • Ellie & Max
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2008, 07:41:33 PM »
im a bit concerned about the tiny amount he has to have :-\ i feel mean it says 100 g a day so im giving him 50 g a meal but there is such a small amount in his bowl :huh:

is he not gonna be hungry and wonder where the rest is  :005:

Cazzie

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2008, 12:16:09 AM »
im a bit concerned about the tiny amount he has to have :-\ i feel mean it says 100 g a day so im giving him 50 g a meal but there is such a small amount in his bowl :huh:

is he not gonna be hungry and wonder where the rest is  :005:

I feed more than the stated amount as Im very familiar with the food, it wont do him anyharm to give him a little more than recommended  ;) I know that Daisy my terrier gets about 100 grms a day and she is only arounf 6 kilos in weight, Sweepie gets around 200 grams and the labs about 300. My dogs get hours of excersise a day so dont hold weight, but if you feed more and see he puts on weight then you can reduce it  :D

Offline wisleyma

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2008, 02:06:34 PM »
this is all useful info - thanks v much. we have working cocker pup who is 6 months old and has been VERY runny indeed on Burns. he is such a skinny minny (possibly normal for active little working pups anyway?) that I worry he's not getting enough nutrients if it's just sliding through him (like a porsche!  :005:). we went for Burns because Wisley our 4 year old has thrived on it and the ingredients list is reassuringly short and comprehensible but perhaps little Jasper the pup is just sensitive and needs something a little bit less rich? we will try the pork and potato sensitive version and see what happens. the Hills i/d biscuits firm him up in a jiffy but i don't know whether he should be on them (with bland old chicken and rice) long term. must check with vet.... anyway, thanks again!

Cazzie

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2008, 10:02:46 PM »
I know that Goose has a very sensitive stomach as does have the runs on the chicken and brown rice so I dont feed him that, he is on like Sweepie High energy Lamb with no problems and the new moist food  :D

Offline tracyd

• Site Member
  • my lion
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2008, 01:06:39 PM »

How long has your dog been on the Burns diet :-\  Also all  dogs do get the runs now and again just like us  :D

This works for bailey too.  I give him a bit of chappie every day in his jwb dry food to encourage him to eat it and he hasn't had the runs since!  All dogs are different though.  My last dog could eat anything!

Ps; The chicken chappie isnt as smelly as the original!!  :P