Author Topic: sensitive stomach  (Read 8947 times)

Offline xlisax

• Site Member
  • Ellie & Max
Re: sensitive stomach
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2008, 11:46:06 PM »
well so far so good max doesnt seem to be too bad on this food, he is a bit loose but nothing like he has been on other foods and he has only been having it for a week, :blink: im so hoping this will work out for him, he still has to wear his muzzle while out to stop him eating everything in sight  ::) but touch wood once his diet is sorted i can keep fingers crossed that the muzzle will be gone asap :luv:

Cazzie

« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2008, 05:24:33 PM »
well so far so good max doesnt seem to be too bad on this food, he is a bit loose but nothing like he has been on other foods and he has only been having it for a week, :blink: im so hoping this will work out for him, he still has to wear his muzzle while out to stop him eating everything in sight  ::) but touch wood once his diet is sorted i can keep fingers crossed that the muzzle will be gone asap :luv:

Has this been the cause of his runs  :-\ Eating everything in sight  :-\

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2008, 08:53:54 PM »
Has your vet diagnosed the problem - food intolerance, allergy, colitis?  Things to bear in mind:

1.  dogs aren't supposed to eat complex carbohydrates (potatoes, rice, wheat, oats and other cereals) as they have short digestive tracts and don't produce the right chemicals in sufficient quantities - all commercial foods contain complex carbs, albeit that they have been heavily processed to make them more digestible.  Why?  Because they are cheap "fillers".  The reason Chappie works so often for dogs with digestive problems is that, if you read the label, you'll see a horrifyingly low meat content and the whole food has been processed to within an inch of its life;

2.  if your vet hasn't done lab tests on your dog's poo, you should get a fresh sample to him/her early in the day, so he/she can send it off for analysis.  Even if it's colitis, it could be triggered by bacterial or parasitic infection;

3.  if infection is ruled out, and it is colitis (as well as diarrhoea, you get a shiny mucus coating and occasional "spotting" with fresh blood in the poo), then it does come down to diet management and occasional interventions with tablets. 

If Burns doesn't work, other foods to try:

(i) NatureDiet - a wet food, with (for commercial food), good quality ingredients.  They also do a product called "naturezyme" - an enzyme-based powder you add to the food, to aid digestion;
(ii)  Forthglade - they've done a food with a very similar profile to NatureDiet;
(iii) BARF - I switched my dog, at six months old, to BARF after four months of colitis-induced problems and I wouldn't go back to a commercial food now if you paid me (even if Paddy was "cured" of colitis once and for all).

Good luck with the Burns.

Denise

Offline xlisax

• Site Member
  • Ellie & Max
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2008, 06:26:15 AM »

no we done a test of him waering his muzzle for a week or 2 b4 the food was changed and he still had runny poo ::)

the vet is convinced it is a food problem and has not recomended any tests, she recomended i put him on hills puppy  ::)

Offline tracyd

• Site Member
  • my lion
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2008, 07:28:36 AM »

no we done a test of him waering his muzzle for a week or 2 b4 the food was changed and he still had runny poo ::)

the vet is convinced it is a food problem and has not recomended any tests, she recomended i put him on hills puppy  ::)

Thats only because they sell it

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2008, 11:16:48 AM »
There is a place in the world for food ingredients processed within an inch of its life.  My grown -up daughter has Crohns disease, aka inflammatory bowel disease, so unlike  a poorly pooch she can describe what happens with everything she eats.  She has to have white bread, white pasta and rice, all veg and fruit cooked and skin removed, and no seeds , nuts or hot spices to irritate the bowel lining. Anything high fibre results in agony.  She could have have chicken and fish if she wasn't a veggie.  My point is that a delicate gut needs mushy, nutritious digestible food. Whatever suits one person/dog is fine if it works and the more flavour the better.
Marti (springer) is piling weight back on at last since the change from JWB to Chappie, but that doesn't mean to say I won't try Nature Diet sometime. I won't use dry mix again because it made her drink like crazy, wee like crazy.
If Max is desperate to eat everything in sight he must be hungry. My stomach certainly tells me when to nibble! Perhaps he needs his food in three or four meals. If he wasn't obsessed with hunger he could relax more  which is always a good thing. I hope the poo improves, I know how yucky it is to scrape up, especially if you are on a busy pavement!  I took a kitchen roll out with me as well as bags.
All the bestxx
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline xlisax

• Site Member
  • Ellie & Max
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2008, 06:33:52 AM »
no i dont believe he is hungry, some dogs just scavenge he is having slightly more than he should be getting food wise, he will drag a bin to pieces straight after dinner ::) he is just that way inclined :shades:

Offline xlisax

• Site Member
  • Ellie & Max
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2008, 09:10:00 PM »
i recieved my big 15 kg bag of burns today  :shades:

max has been on this for about 2 weeks now i think, and his poos r much better not as good as there were on the perscription diet, but im hoping after another couple of weeks this will get better ph34r

im using the burns as treats too as we dont no what else he can have without upsetting his belly

ive bought him a nylobone as he used to love rawhide chews, and i feel bad him not having nothing tasty to chew on :-\

once he is nearly 100 % i think ill start introducing different treats to see if it upsets him and go from there  :shades:

ive also put ellie on the burns but she is not impressed  ::)

lisa xx

Offline xlisax

• Site Member
  • Ellie & Max
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2008, 02:23:01 PM »
i decided to give max more than stated on the food bag but have noticed his doing about 6 poos a day is it cos im over feeding :-\

i just feel horrible giving him the 50 g :'(

Cazzie

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2008, 03:06:06 PM »
i decided to give max more than stated on the food bag but have noticed his doing about 6 poos a day is it cos im over feeding :-\

i just feel horrible giving him the 50 g :'(

Give him a wee bit time, how much are you feeding  :-\ All my dogs (except Otter) only have 2 poops a day  :D

Offline xlisax

• Site Member
  • Ellie & Max
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2008, 05:22:01 PM »
i am giving him 75 g a meal, he used to have 2 poos a day 3 maximum

but ive just cleared the garden up and he must have done about 10 since last night :o

*to much info alert*      they are all small mushy ones too ph34r

Offline biscuit

• Site Member
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2008, 06:29:37 PM »
We had this problem with Molly when she was little.  We feed her on Wafcol Salmon and Potato (just to add another brand of food in to confuse you !), and she's not allowed anything else.  We just use a cup from Ikea to measure out her food (having weighed it on first occasion on the scales).   She gets about 80g twice a day. 

Dunbarney - sounds like your stomach's as bad as mine.  Doc says no allergy just sensitive stomach.  Or its my age !! but then Im not as old as you (407 !  :005: :005:)
mollypooch

Cazzie

« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2008, 06:48:10 PM »

Dunbarney - sounds like your stomach's as bad as mine.  Doc says no allergy just sensitive stomach.  Or its my age !! but then Im not as old as you (407 !  :005: :005:)

I have to watch if I go out for a meal Its not too far from the house  :005: Oh yes im very old  :005: Pity not as wise  ;)

Offline xlisax

• Site Member
  • Ellie & Max
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2008, 08:47:29 PM »
We had this problem with Molly when she was little.  We feed her on Wafcol Salmon and Potato (just to add another brand of food in to confuse you !), and she's not allowed anything else.  We just use a cup from Ikea to measure out her food (having weighed it on first occasion on the scales).   She gets about 80g twice a day. 

it might be worth keeping that food in mind thanks :shades:

where do you buy it from ?

lisa xx

Offline Jeeves

• Site Member
  • Mrs Bridges - International Love Goddess!
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2008, 09:17:12 PM »
Have you tried James Wellbeloved turkey and brown rice?  Mrs Bridges had a terrible stomach and on the advice of the vet we put her on this and it did wonders almost immediately.  She's had no trouble since. :D
Parker, Mrs Bridges, Ronald and Jeeves (my Little Bear, no longer with us) and Nicky (that's me!)