Author Topic: sensitive stomach  (Read 8940 times)

Offline biscuit

• Site Member
Re: sensitive stomach
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2008, 11:25:36 PM »
Lisa

We get Wafcol from our local pet shop.  I either buy in a 15kg bag (£38 - seems to last ages) or sometimes buy it by the kg loose.  Can also get it from Pets at Home, approx £9 for 3kg.  They do other varieties:-

lamb and rice (which also suits Mol),
ocean fish and corn (kibble seems very large)

We sometimes mix the lamb and rice with the salmon and potato as the fish variety makes her breath a bit smelly   :o   Not sure whether different flavours should be mixed, but stomachs ok with it.

Molly's weights ok as well, shes  10.5kg

Lynne

mollypooch

Offline xlisax

• Site Member
  • Ellie & Max
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2008, 06:32:19 AM »
Have you tried James Wellbeloved turkey and brown rice?  Mrs Bridges had a terrible stomach and on the advice of the vet we put her on this and it did wonders almost immediately.  She's had no trouble since. :D

nope ive not tried that one, thanks for the info ill keep it in mind :shades:

ill keep max on burns for the time being, he has only been having it about 2 weeks so he might need a bit more time, atleast untill he has finished the 15 k bag ive just bought :005:

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2008, 10:26:11 PM »
There is a place in the world for food ingredients processed within an inch of its life.  My grown -up daughter has Crohns disease, aka inflammatory bowel disease, so unlike  a poorly pooch she can describe what happens with everything she eats.  She has to have white bread, white pasta and rice, all veg and fruit cooked and skin removed, and no seeds , nuts or hot spices to irritate the bowel lining. Anything high fibre results in agony.  She could have have chicken and fish if she wasn't a veggie.  My point is that a delicate gut needs mushy, nutritious digestible food. Whatever suits one person/dog is fine if it works and the more flavour the better.

Phoenix

I'd draw a distinction between a dog and a human, even where both have related problems - i.e. inflamed bowel of some kind.  The simple difference is that humans are designed to digest complex carbs, but someone with your daughter's condition is helped, as you say, with the carbs being highly processed to avoid further inflammation.  Dogs aren't designed to digest complex carbs, so the whole rationale for over-processing them is to make them what I'd best describe as "artificially accessible" to them.  If the dog's bowel is inflamed, and commercial foods, even Chappie, aren't helping, then I'd still recommend to anyone to look into BARF.

Ellie/Max (sorry - don't know your name) - the desperation for food which you describe is exactly what Paddy suffered from - and I would put it down to malnourishment due to malabsorption - the diarrhoea and bowel inflammation stopped him from absorbing all the necessary macro and micro-nutrients.  He was always desperate, manic almost, for food - beyond usual doggy/Cocker enthusiasm and begging.  It was distressing for him and for us to watch.  Once we sorted out his diet (and you may find a processed food which suits him - we didn't, but there are plenty of people I've met who've found other solutions), the "manic" element disappeared. 

I'd discuss with your vet possibly using an anti-biotic called metronidazole (or is it metronizadole????) - it's often used for bowel inflammation because one of its side-effects is that it soothes the digestive tract.  Ask for ten days' supply - five days' worth works but isn't long enough to let the bowel really calm down.  If your dog's hyper attitude to food settles down, it indicates some kind of bowel inflammation.

Do you mind me asking where you live?   Someone on here may be able to recommend another vet (I've used a homeopathic vet - always thought homeopathy was mumbo jumbo but it genuinely seems to have helped Paddy) near to you.

Keep us posted on progress - fingers crossed for improvements.

Denise

Offline xlisax

• Site Member
  • Ellie & Max
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2008, 01:25:37 PM »
 :-\ not going to good max still has rather sloppy poos :o and to make things worse he has started eating it  >:( :005:

not sure wether to keep him on the burns or try another, surely he should have settled onit by now ?

if i change ill have a big bag of burns for sale :005:

cant feed it to ellie it makes her poo like chalk ph34r

Cazzie

« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2008, 01:50:36 PM »
Goose took months to settle on Burns  >:( I am convinced it was his previous owners fault who allowed him to eat anything and fed him on about 5 or more different types of dog food as a puppy  :-\

Offline pat anderson

« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2008, 07:57:34 PM »
for runny poos try adding a hardboiled egg to their dinner, not everyday as you will maybe get the opposite effect... but hopefully it will work for 2/3 days as soon as they go runny again add another egg.

worked for my labrador.I tried loads of diets now we are pretty well sorted with a half measure of burns mixer with homecooked rice/veggies/ meat or fish mix , that helps -  but the egg is the main sorta outer of the runny poos.

Offline Worthy

• Site Member
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2008, 07:22:05 AM »
 :D Just in case you didn't see it on your other thread Berrimans worked well for my Boxer who had really bad colitis and was extremelt prone to gravey puddles

http://www.berrimans.net/

Offline sabrino

• Site Member
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2008, 08:44:54 AM »
Reading this with interest. I think it's possible Milo might have colitis.  :huh: We really struggle to get him settled on any food and as soon as anything else is introduced as a treat (other than really plain dog biscuits) he gets a really squitty stomach which last for days. He hasn't been right for a while now and we stuggle to keep weight on him. Last week we went down one morning and he had sprayed poo allover the kitchen (he has only ever pooed in the house twice in his life!) which was surrounded by a clear liquid and when I mopped some of it up I could see the teeniest trace of blood around one pile. I assumed that he's had compacted anal glands and they'd emptied bursting a capillary or something but come to think of it I don't remember a fishy smell. However, I'm always dubious about his stomach as (as I have mentioned in other threads  >:( ) he eats large amounts of poo and anything else he can get his chops around when I'm not looking.
Sabrina, Milo & Lupin x

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2008, 10:58:58 AM »
Have only just found this thread and read it from beginning to end. Lisa I think it might be worth returning to your vet and asking about putting him on a ten day course of Metronidazole as Denise suggests .  ;) 
Ellie/Max (sorry - don't know your name) - the desperation for food which you describe is exactly what Paddy suffered from - and I would put it down to malnourishment due to malabsorption - the diarrhoea and bowel inflammation stopped him from absorbing all the necessary macro and micro-nutrients.  He was always desperate, manic almost, for food - beyond usual doggy/Cocker enthusiasm and begging.  It was distressing for him and for us to watch.  Once we sorted out his diet (and you may find a processed food which suits him - we didn't, but there are plenty of people I've met who've found other solutions), the "manic" element disappeared. 

I'd discuss with your vet possibly using an anti-biotic called metronidazole (or is it metronizadole????) - it's often used for bowel inflammation because one of its side-effects is that it soothes the digestive tract.  Ask for ten days' supply - five days' worth works but isn't long enough to let the bowel really calm down.  If your dog's hyper attitude to food settles down, it indicates some kind of bowel inflammation.

Do you mind me asking where you live?   Someone on here may be able to recommend another vet (I've used a homeopathic vet - always thought homeopathy was mumbo jumbo but it genuinely seems to have helped Paddy) near to you.

Keep us posted on progress - fingers crossed for improvements.

Denise

i decided to give max more than stated on the food bag but have noticed his doing about 6 poos a day is it cos im over feeding :-\

i just feel horrible giving him the 50 g :'(
It could be exacerbating the diarrhoea. Overfeeding can cause the runs.

I hope you manage to get it sorted soon and you let us know how he gets on  :blink:.
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline xlisax

• Site Member
  • Ellie & Max
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2008, 01:31:41 PM »
thanks for all the help and info on this  :shades:

max seems to be doing much better he is now on hills prescription food, it is expensive but its worth it to make him right :luv:

his poo has firmed up about 60 % and his only been on this a week so it is looking very promising  :-*