Author Topic: Ear problems  (Read 3202 times)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Ear problems
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2004, 08:10:26 PM »
Are all Cockers vulnerable to 'seeds in the ears', or like many things, do some seem to be particularly prone?

Are there any tricks to retrieving seeds before they get lost in the depths?

And on the subject of ears, I've read of a powder that COL members use in their doggies ears...what does this do and where can I get it?

With such beautiful ears I want to make sure I care for them properly!

Thanks                    
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
Ear problems
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2004, 10:31:13 PM »
It was a grass seed. The vet had to knock her out to retrieve it :( We had a problem with grass seeds last year, so have been paying extra special attention, problem is the dog-run area of the local park is covered in them. I wont be going in there again, and I hope the dog warden asks me why :x

Poor Daisy I hope she is fully recovered and getting totally spoilt Mike  :wink:

Douglas was at the Vet's this morning having his ears cleaned and he also had a grass seed in one of his ears.  On his walk Wednesday evening he decided to have a role in the grass and as soon as he got up he was shaking his head so I new there was something in it.  He went to the Vet Thursday morning but they were quite dirty so she couldn't see it so he had to be starved overnight and went in this morning for a light anaesthetic.  I phoned them a little earlier than they said and they couldn't wait for me to go and collect him.  When I arrived I could hear him howling the place down  :roll:  :roll:  Bless aye.  As soon as he saw me he was fine and is totally back to normal, even managed to chase one of the neighbours cats before getting through the door :wink:  

I'm very particular about making sure I check inbetween their toes for grass seeds but when they role in them there isn't a lot you can do :wink: :cry:                    
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands

Offline *-Nikki-*

• Site Member
    • www.nicibec-cockers.moonfruit.com
Ear problems
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2004, 10:57:19 PM »
Well Mike, I'm glad to hear Daisy is OK :D .
We haven't had the problem of grass seed :? . Even though, Ours like running in the field - we make sure that they always wears their snoodes, that way we can't get any pain in the bum grass seeds :twisted: .
Better to be safe than sorry :wink:                    

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Ear problems
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2004, 11:31:09 PM »
I think hearing about Daisy and Douglas gives the rest of us the warning to be extra vigilant and check our dogs very carefully after their walks. Grass seeds seem to be drying up even earlier than they did last year, we haven't even got into July yet  :?  :roll:

Dessie, I hope like Daisy, that Douglas is soon back to normal  :D                    

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Ear problems
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2004, 07:02:55 AM »
Sorry to hear Douglas went through the same Dessie! The vet gave us the offending seed to keep as a memento - was the head of one of those grass dart-type thingies that kids throw at each other, must have been horribly painful :( You do have to be careful with spaniel-type ears especially IWLass - because they're so long and flap about when they're running, they can often pick up more than dogs with smaller ears. I think I could have got it out myself with a pair of tweasers, but I honestly couldnt see it, so it must have been very deep.                    

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
    • Derrindee Spaniels
Ear problems
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2004, 01:45:01 PM »
Hi Guys

As soon as I collected Douglas he was back to his old self and is making up for it today by constantly demanding attention  :wink:  :roll:                    

Derrindee Spaniels

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Ear problems
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2004, 06:17:34 PM »
Thanks for that Mike - glad to hear offending ears are returning to normality - along with the dogs they belong to!

I had a look at 'snoods' on the internet - a great invention and sure the keep ears clean and grass seed free- but somehow, I can't see hubbie taking to the idea!

We might have to stick to the beach in grass seed season!                    
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
    • Derrindee Spaniels
Ear problems
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2004, 06:35:34 PM »
:cry:  :cry:  :cry: You're not going to believe this but I took the Boys out for their evening walk and Douglas has another grass seed in his ear  :(  He just went running through those damn grass darts and came out shaking his head  :cry:  :(  I can't believe it after having Sebastian for nearly 7 years he's only ever had one and Bart (touch wood) hasn't had any but now in the space of a couple of days Douglas has another one.  Looks like road walking now until they've all gone  :cry:  :cry:                    

Derrindee Spaniels

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Ear problems
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2004, 08:17:28 PM »
Dessie, what bad luck :( Is that another trip to the vets? Hope Douglas will be okay... and your wallet if it costs anything like Daisy's treatment did  :shock:                    

Offline gc

• Site Member
    • http://
Ear problems
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2004, 10:22:52 PM »
oh boy, get well soon...  :roll:

Balu had such an accident back in June 2000 and again 2 weeks ago!
The first 'grass dart' had to be removed by using a minor anaesthetic injection as it was just next to the ear accoustic ...(i miss the word now!) and it was far too risky to try to reach this area while Balu was fully concious, the second one.... we were lucky, the vet cought it instantly as it wasn't too deep, but the pain while removing it must have been quite a lot :(

So... what I did was to cut the ear-hair... and don't allow her to go in the fields, at least not too deep in some fields, now that these 'darts' are dry!

George.                    
George.
The truth is out there..... and a cocker can easily find it ;-)

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
Ear problems
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2004, 10:36:44 PM »
Awww i'm sorry to hear this Dessie, has Douglas got to have another anesthetic.  :?

Glad to hear Daisy is ok now Mike, poor girl. Those seeds are so painful.                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
    • Derrindee Spaniels
Ear problems
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2004, 09:03:04 AM »
Back to the Vet this afternoon guys so will let you know how he gets on.  Although I don't think he has a grass seed in his ear now as he is acting totally normal but he does have an upset belly now which might have been brought on by the anaesthetic.                    

Derrindee Spaniels

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
    • Derrindee Spaniels
Ear problems
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2004, 08:51:30 PM »
Well the good news is the Vet doesn't think Douglas has another grass seed in his ear.  His temperature etc is all normal but he has given him some medicine to help settle his tummy down so hopefully he will be back to normal in the next couple of days.                    

Derrindee Spaniels

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Ear problems
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2004, 11:24:02 PM »
Pleased to hear it Dessie, I hope that Douglas is back to normal very soon  :D                    

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
Ear problems
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2004, 07:06:37 PM »
Glad to hear Daisy and Douglas are ok.

I took my two for a walk yesterday and Georgie started to shake her head - when I looked there was a grass seed just inside her ear - I managed to get it out.

Today I took them again and when I got home she was shaking and hanging her head, but could'nt see anything.  Was a bit concerned so took her to the vet this evening and, yes, she has a grass seed in there! Have to take her tommorrow for a GA to remove it!   I had a previous cocker for 13 years and have never had this problem.

Does anyone have any tips, apart from the snoods - Would it be possible to put a ball of cotton wool inside each ear or would this be too dangerous?                    
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"