Author Topic: underweight....????  (Read 1664 times)

Offline dsmandspanna

• Site Member
underweight....????
« on: July 03, 2004, 03:24:43 AM »
hi there...C o L   :D

i am after a bit of advice   regarding weight GAIN.......

my puppy  spanna is just  16 weeks and weighs about 4.5/5.0max kilos......hard to get more accurate than that....she moves too much

the vet didnt seem to think it was an issue.......but ive been looking at the gallery....and i think  she's definately on the skinny side

i was wondering if anyone knows of an age/weight chart..for puppies

also........ is there a doggy version of complan...or build up....???

as we live in ibiza....maybe its something to do with the heat... :oops:

shes fully wormed (drontal plus)  and vaccinated now...so at this stage i dont suspect anything nasty.....

she has dry food....puppy mix...a  spannish brand....which  is recommended by the pet shop owner...(a friend of a friend)   as good value/quality

... she eats it ...but not with great joy......unlike the special treats of cooked meats...i use for training.....

any ideas would be greatly appreciated

dawn & spanna                    

Offline PennyB

underweight....????
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2004, 09:45:48 AM »
At this age I wouldn't worry some are skinnier/lighter than others. I have two cockers who are around the 10 kg mark, Ruby is 2 and Wilf is 1 year old now.

There is no real weight chart as different dogs are different.

Just carry on feeding as you are. My pups had a growth spurt at around 6 months.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
underweight....????
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2004, 10:14:59 AM »
If you do want to put on a bit of weight, go to the health shop and buy some fenugreek, its very inexpensive. Soak about a teaspoon full in any liquid over night and then mix it in with dogs usual meal the next day. Do it daily and it is a natural way of fattening them up.

From Karen                    
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline Sheila

• Site Member
underweight....????
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2004, 11:02:45 AM »
Lottie is very little for her age too.

At training classes last week she was smaller than the 9 1/2 week old cocker, but that was a boy.

She is 12 1/2 weeks and weighs about 3 kgs.

She is fit, happy and looks very healthy, her coat shines. So I just assume she is a smallish pup. She was the smallest in the litter and her mum was quite small, so she was never expected to be a large girl.

What were your pups parents like?
Dogs all vary, as long as spanna looks happy and healthy, then I wouldnt worry.

My vet was quite happy with Lottie when he saw her at 11 weeks for her second innoculation.                    

Offline chrisfund

• Site Member
    • http://cocker.natoo.net
underweight....????
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2004, 01:03:20 PM »
My boy, Lucky is 13 months old and weigh about 10Kg. I think he was about 5Kg when he was 4 months old.

I think structural condition is more important than weight.

Puppies should be fed on food containing protein and fat enough.

I think you should check the components of food first.

then if It has protein less than 28%, it's better that you change dog food to high portein-containg food.                    
ChangBin(Chris)

Offline Sheila

• Site Member
underweight....????
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2004, 05:09:43 PM »
Lottie is being fed on Nutro puppy food.
It's 30% protein and 17% fat, she looks very healthy and her coat is superb, it really shines.

I don't know what foods are available to you however.

It could be that your pup is just small framed and compact.                    

Offline s baxter

• Site Member
    • http://
underweight....????
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2004, 07:08:58 PM »
my 9 and a half wk pup was 3.2kg when weighted at the vet but he`s a boy and i`m sure they all vary just like us humans.if all else is ok and he`s fit and healthy maybe he/she will be a smallish cocker i`m sure there are large cockers out there too :lol:                    
sue baxter and Alfie

Offline dsmandspanna

• Site Member
underweight....????
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2004, 08:11:15 PM »
helloooo eveyone   8)

thanks for your advice ........

judging by what you've said.....she's on target...normal.....its just me !!!!

more to the point...she's happy shiny and FULL of life.....

but i will try and see if "nutro"..is available here..(thanks sheila  :D )...if its not going for a kings ransom  :?

many thanks again.....i loooove this site  :P

dawn and spanna
p.s//////// (she was on the home page donation foto spot for a day....she might appear again.....she looks shiny on there  :D  :D )                    

Offline PennyB

underweight....????
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2004, 02:23:43 AM »
Mine are on Burns which is just as good as nutro. Maybe look at what's in various products and compare them rather than go for a particular brand as there may be something that is just as good a product available to you in Spain                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline subeeloo

• Site Member
underweight....????
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2004, 08:45:45 PM »
..............hi everyone,
I weighed Sammy last week and he is 20lbs and he's 5 months....is he too heavy for his age? He's on Pedigree puppy complete with  half a sachet of Pedigree puppy gently cooked meals mixed in  twice a day, and just the dry at lunchtime.  I think he is getting fed up with it now, the dry stuff mainly and he is always jumping up at us when we are eating. When I take him out to the kitchen, he scrapes on the door or cries. We just can't bear to do that, so we let him back in, and he jumps up at the table again. He woofs his food down after his walk, but then comes to us and tries to beg. I daren't leave him with my other arf, else he'll give him some, which I have said time and again, DON'T YOU DARE!!!!!!! I think he he has got the message, I meant me other arf, not Sammy.... :wink:                    
'Everybody lurrves Sammy!'
03/02/04 - 27/10/14 :'(

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
underweight....????
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2004, 08:49:43 PM »
You should have my Chloe.  She weighs 36lbs :shock:  :shock:  :shock:   Mind you, it is the steroids that do it to her so she can't help it.  Poor baby.  I keep telling her she's not fat she's big boned.....  Little canine sumo :oops:                    
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
underweight....????
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2004, 09:13:40 PM »
I once had a dog ,called Cindy that I loved dearly. She was a cocker/golden retriever cross, but she looked to everone to be an undocked cocker. She was so chunky that at one point she tipped the scales at 2 st 10 lbs. I always thought she was beautiful but some people tried to point out her puppy fat to me. Cindy was always a lazy dog with a big appetite and she didn't have any medical excuses for being big.
For you dogs health thinner is definately better.
From Karen   :)                    
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline Kim

• Site Member
    • Molkara Cocker Spaniels
underweight....????
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2004, 09:32:43 PM »
My dogs/puppies are only ever weighed when they are to be wormed.
I don't think that their actaul weight matters, you can tell if you dog is too fat or too thin, by looking & feeling.

Like with people weight is deceptive you can look fine but weigh more or less than someone who looks a similar build.  :) Doesn't mean you're over or underweight.                    
www.Molkara.co.uk

Save the earth; it's the only planet with chocolate.

Offline dsmandspanna

• Site Member
underweight....????
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2004, 10:10:40 AM »
hi there....and thanks to everyone whos offered help  8)

i got spanna from a local pet shop....and as she's growing....shes  clearly not full cocker.....her build is just too light and lanky..but i wouldnt swap her for anything 8)  

i have changed to iams   and   also reading other threads on here...ive realised i was walking her for too long/too often s0ooo

now ive reduced....the walks...ive started to see weight gain. 8)

thanks again for all your help/comments
luv dawn and spanna 8)  8)