Author Topic: Just had a wonderful few days... NOT!!  (Read 1312 times)

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
Just had a wonderful few days... NOT!!
« on: July 13, 2004, 09:28:05 AM »
Chloe caught gastro enteritis last week.  Poor little girls botty must have been on fire :(   She wasn't sick tho.  Three days later, Holly started to be sick.  I took her to work with me and she managed to throw up everywhere :(   It was quite frightening as she started bringing up blood.  Had to phone the vet and then phone my friend who kindly took her there.  Holly never had the trots tho.  How strange that the same virus was different for them both.  Anyway, they are now on the mend after having chomped their way through what felt like the worlds supply of rice. :?   I now have the worlds worst cold and I am so congested it is not funny. :(  :(   Can't take any decongestant remedies as I am on blood pressure medication.  Anyone have any of their grannys old (get rid of a cold) remedies in the attic?  I would ask if life could get any worse but I have done that before... and it did.!! :D                    
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline PennyB

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2004, 10:15:26 AM »
Glad to hear they're both on the mend now (no doubt your vets pleased you're contributing to his mortgage very nicely LOL)

Good old fashioned steam works for congestion (and if you can put menthol in that can work) or olbas oil put on a hanky and breathed in occasionally can work (unless either are contraindicated for this).                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2004, 10:18:54 AM »
Oh poor you and poor Chloe and Holly  :(  glad to hear the girls are on the mend  :wink: Now I am desperately trying to think of the name of some very good herbal tablets  :? and for the life of me I can't think of the name...you can get them out of Holland & Barratt or Asda  :?  :?  It might come back to me  :roll: I took them when I was about to have an Op and had a bit of a cold and wasn't allowed to take Paracetamol  :)  and they worked very well for me  :wink:
Also Olbas Oil has to be a godsend when your congested...a sprinkle on your pillow at night or on a hanky always gets me through a cold  :)                    

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2004, 10:24:48 AM »
Actually Penny, we have already paid his mortgage, Chloe did that on her own :roll:   We now quite fancy the idea of our own wing at the vets.  Something like the Hay wing for impoverished pet owners..... :(                    

Offline Sheila

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2004, 11:24:49 AM »
Oh Dear, you really are all  suffering.

Pleased to hear that your girls are gettting better though.

I can't think of much else to offer for you that hasn't already been suggested I'm afraid. I find the steam and menthol works wonders, or have a good, steamy bath and soak for a while. If you get the chance :roll:

Hope you all feel better really soon
=                      

Offline PennyB

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2004, 11:43:44 AM »
Actually Penny, we have already paid his mortgage, Chloe did that on her own :roll:   We now quite fancy the idea of our own wing at the vets.  Something like the Hay wing for impoverished pet owners..... :(

Same here or else my vet thinks (a) I fancy him (not!) or (B) may be I have Munchausens by proxy (it gets embarrassing sometimes ringing up saying its me again and I don't have to give my name anymore). Wilf went to the vets last Monday for his jabs and checkup and yesterday was back in again with a sore paw (infection)!                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2004, 12:50:32 PM »
That is so spooky, you mentioning not having to give your name :shock:   I was just thinking the other day that I used to call and say 'Hi, this is Sheryl Hay with Chloe' then it went to 'Hi, this is Sheryl' and now it is just 'Hi'... :shock:  :shock:  :shock:   I am glad that it is not just me then :D  I bet when I pull into the car park they all do their best Poltergeist 'She's heeere' impression :shock:                    

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2004, 01:16:24 PM »
Bottle of Sherry will cure your cold Sheryl  :wink:                    

Offline TOPAZ BILLY

• Site Member
  • De Girls!
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2004, 03:08:48 PM »
Bottle of Sherry will cure your cold Sheryl  :wink:

Or at least make you forget that you had a cold :lol:  :lol: My dad used to swear that port and sherry mixed in a half pint pot would cure any bug :shock:

Michelle                    

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2004, 07:14:02 PM »
Sorry to hear about the girls Sheryl, but glad to hear they are on the mend :) I'm actually glad I don't have to pay vet fees(perk of the job) or I would be bankrupt by now :lol:  Had Vegas in on Friday with a horrid mouth infection and he was back in today with a wound on his foot and a swollen toe :roll:

And I can't think of anything to get rid of a cold :?  Nothing ever shifts mine anyway :wink:                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2004, 07:47:57 PM »
Thanks for all the cold tips although I am leaning towards the bottle of sherry.  Well, I would be leaning if I drunk that much.  It was interesting to read about your perk Gill.  My best mate just started at our vets and she gets lots of discount and freebies too.  Tell me tho', is there a lot of difference in charges from vet to vet?  I used to think they were all much and such the same but when I went to Perthshire and had to take Chloe (again) to the local vet at Aberfeldy, a good once over, emptying of anal glands and a slow working antibiotic injection only cost me £10.06.  When I showed my shock they asked me if I thought it was too much :shock:   Then promptly let me off the 6p.  Bless.  I don't ever recall getting a bill that low here, not even for a consultation and no treatment. :?                    

Offline gc

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2004, 11:30:13 AM »
There is a cream which I believe I saw it in UK. It's called Vicks. Put a tablespoon of this cream into a pint of hot water and let the 'fumes' to take care of any congested nose :-) Also castor oil helps out. It is contained in some ambules which I use them on my son when he gets a cold as I can't use any decongestion remedy. It makes the 'nose-fluids' thinner ;-)

get well all soon :-)                    
George.
The truth is out there..... and a cocker can easily find it ;-)

Offline Pipers Mummy

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2004, 06:42:44 PM »

Same here or else my vet thinks (a) I fancy him (not!) or (B) may be I have Munchausens by proxy (it gets embarrassing sometimes ringing up saying its me again and I don't have to give my name anymore). Wilf went to the vets last Monday for his jabs and checkup and yesterday was back in again with a sore paw (infection)!

Oh  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  Penny!

Actually I think  :?  I fancy my vet  :?   He's not very handsome but he's kind to all my pets so I think that's what it is - think it's a bit of a girl thing.... :roll:

Hope that Chloe and Holly are well on the road to recovery by now  :)

Love and Cocker kisses to them both  :D                    
Cocker Kisses from Louise & Piper xxx