Author Topic: how to control puppy to put ear drops in  (Read 949 times)

Offline s baxter

• Site Member
    • http://
how to control puppy to put ear drops in
« on: July 20, 2004, 10:39:01 AM »
my puppy Alfie has been an angel at the vets but at home it`s another story,this morning i had to sort of sit over him holding him between my legs  while trying to squirt ear drops into his ear while he wriggles his head around squealing like i`m murdering him, does anyone have any tips or suggestions of the best way to hold him still while being hands free to lift up ear and put the drops in :oops:  :roll:

he has a piece of dried wax which we are hoping the drops will break up or dislodge it to come out or he`ll have to go under a general for the vet
to get it out with a graby tool :shock:                    
sue baxter and Alfie

Offline Laura

• Site Member
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2004, 11:13:07 AM »
Don't know if this will help you at all - but this worked for us - Brogan was a complete nightmare  - was like wrestling a croc  :lol: Hard to believe now looking back.

Brogan like most dogs behaves much better as well on a higher level - a grooming table is our next buy!

We do clicker training with Brogan and decided to use that to our advantage.  We started out just clicking and treating for him being next to the ear drops - quickly thought that a good place to be! :lol: Then moved on to clicking for stroking him with the bottle in the other hand - then stroking his ear with the bottle in the same hand - by now he loved this bottle.  We then moved on to clicking and treating for lifting the earflap.  All of this took no longer than 5 minutes for Brogan - some dogs may take a few training sessions.  Everytime Brogan stayed still - he was rewarded.  he still doesn't like ear cleaning but, I can do it now with no struggling whatsoever - infact I don't hold him - he could at any point walk away from me.  Ear lap over the top of his head and both head and ear held in left hand and drops put in with other hand.  
I had my daughter to help with the training sessions - she clicked and treated the instant he sat still - and the treats were quickly pouring down - no being stingy. :lol:  While i did the hands on bit.  Brogan quickly paid more attention to the showering of food than what I was doing.  Another few sessions and we were solo.

Several times a day when stroking the dogs - I make a point of touching them everywhere - look at teeth, lift and inspect ears, lift tail etc - Bailey my pup just excepts me as wierd now :lol:

Good luck!!                    
Laura x

Run free together boys. Missing you both xx
Bailey  29/04/04 - 16/03/11
Brogan 29/07/03 - 22/10/09

Offline s baxter

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2004, 11:31:07 AM »
arh thanks for that helpful information i do always make sure i touch him everywhere each day but obv. it needs stepping up a bit  and i had noticed him eyeing up the ear drop bottle and scurring away so will have some extra nice treats ready for the next session my 8 yr old can give out the treats while i have the hands on bit to do,thanks again                    
sue baxter and Alfie

Offline PennyB

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2004, 11:39:21 AM »
While I don't use a clicker I was told by my trainer to just touch his ear and then treat and then maybe lift the ear flap up and treat until you can finally do the whole job properly. I'd also agree that you put him on a bench or whatever as that will help.

I know some people don't like the idea of giving treats in training for anything but once the dog begins to do what you want them to do then you then have to make them work harder for a treat.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline s baxter

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2004, 11:54:07 AM »
GREAT THANKS pENNY I`MGONNA PUT MY BATH MAT ON THE KITCHEN TABLE TONITE AND LET YOU KNOW HOW IT GOES                    
sue baxter and Alfie

Offline s baxter

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2004, 08:07:57 PM »
Laura and Pennyb,wow what a change we put Alfie on a rubber mat on the table in he was an angel again i can hardly believe the massive difference in the way he acted we even had sausages slices up for a treat but they were`nt really needed although he had some,yum yum :lol: thanks i would never have believed putting him on a table would have made such a difference a big pat on the back to you both and thanks for your replies,yippeeeeeee :lol:                    
sue baxter and Alfie

Offline Laura

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2004, 09:53:52 PM »
Sue that is excellent news!!  Bit easier than a full training programme at floor level eh?!! :lol:   Now you will understand why a grooming table is my next major dog purchase :lol:  :wink:   The difference is amazing - and am really glad it worked for you.                    
Laura x

Offline picklesmum

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2004, 09:26:31 AM »
Laura, who needs a grooming table when you have....
an ironing board  :wink:
No more ironing for me when I discovered it was the only place I could groom Pickle without him running off  :lol:
Emma and Pickle xx                    

Offline Laura

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2004, 09:45:58 AM »
Laura, who needs a grooming table when you have....
an ironing board  :wink:  
No more ironing for me when I discovered it was the only place I could groom Pickle without him running off  :lol:  
Emma and Pickle xx

Emma that is the best excuse ever - Beats all mine hands down that one!!Trust you!! 8)  :lol:                    
Laura x

Offline gc

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2004, 07:36:55 AM »

Brogan like most dogs behaves much better as well on a higher level -

excellent, I'll do that the next time I apply the ear drops. Just curious, does anyone know why they behave better on a higher level?                    
George.
The truth is out there..... and a cocker can easily find it ;-)