Author Topic: worming  (Read 1186 times)

Offline Rusty

• Site Member
worming
« on: July 20, 2004, 04:01:46 PM »
Hi everybody

How often do you have to worm a pup Rusty is 13 weeks, He was wormed at 8 weeks by the breeder and we got him wormed at 11 weeks, when should I worm him again? :? is it every month for the rest of his life :?:
Would appreciate some help  :roll:
Its our first dog and I am sure I will eventually get the hand of all this :)

Thanks
Elle & Rusty x                    

Offline taniac

• Site Member
worming
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2004, 04:17:58 PM »
I wormed Jovi every 2 weeks until he was 12 weeks old (I think), and then after that it's every 3 months...

Don't know if it varies, anyone else??

PS I use drontal from the vets.                    
Tania
(Neo and Jovi's Mum)

Offline lizzy

• Site Member
    • http://
worming
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2004, 04:22:06 PM »
Just going of what my vet says, 8,12,16 weeks , then once a month till they are 6 months old, then I think it's every 3-4 months.

It might be an idea to ask your vet, also I would'nt recommend the supermarket brands, I think it's better that you buy them from the vets.

Lizzy Molly and Evie                    

Lizzy Molly and Evie

Offline Rusty

• Site Member
worming
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2004, 04:28:12 PM »
Hi
Thanks to everyone that replied I will take a little trip to the vets in the morning :)

Elle & Rusty x                    

Offline taniac

• Site Member
worming
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2004, 04:30:36 PM »
I found this website where you can buy drontal online and it's quite good money, the puppy drontal liquid you give 2 weeks until 12 weeks.  They do both the liquid and the tablets.  The tablets are 1 per 10kg of dog so if Rusty is smaller you might need to give half a tablet.

http://www.valuevetdrugs.co.uk/                    
Tania
(Neo and Jovi's Mum)

Offline s baxter

• Site Member
worming
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2004, 05:25:33 PM »
Alfie is 13 weeks and has just had his 3rd course of worming we used panacur paste and it was quite easy to do then we were told every 3 months(the courses were 2 wks apart)                    
sue baxter and Alfie

Offline PennyB

worming
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2004, 06:03:20 PM »
Is Rusty feeling OK now. I wouldn't worm him while he's not feeling well at the moment.

You'll need to take him to the vets to get wormers (rather than buy online at this stage) and its also useful as he'll need to be weighed as they grow so quickly and how much wormer depends on how heavy he is. This is also useful as it helps socialize him at the vets and won't associate only bad things with the place in the future.

Edited to say I should read previous posts as you're going to the vets anyway                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline JoHarborne

• Site Member
worming
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2004, 02:22:37 PM »
Woody had a really bad reaction to the second worming treatment we got from the vets at 12 weeks so we didn't give him the whole dose.  He was sick twice, had some "loose motions" (I think that's the polite phrase for it) and seemd very out of sorts.  We got immediate advice from the vet who said to stop the treatment and wait a month before trying again.  I think he just got an upset stomach that's all.                    
Jo, Woody\'s owner

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
worming
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2004, 03:04:16 PM »
Hi there, we did every 2 weeks from 8 weeks-4 months, then every three months.

The vets where I work are using Milbemax more and more rather than drontal - Indie tolerates milbemax much better than drontal, which used to guive him runny motions.

Milbemax is a wider spectrum wormer than drontal apparently.                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
worming
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2004, 10:46:11 PM »
Hi There
Both ours have just been wormed using Milbemax and we didnt have ANY side effects at all. We are going to keep using this one...the last one..cant remember what is was  :oops:  used to give them a bit of an upset tum.
Janey                    

Offline gc

• Site Member
worming
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2004, 07:38:24 AM »
I wormed Jovi every 2 weeks until he was 12 weeks old (I think), and then after that it's every 3 months...

Don't know if it varies, anyone else??

PS I use drontal from the vets.

same as you.                    
George.
The truth is out there..... and a cocker can easily find it ;-)

Offline Tracey J

• Site Member
worming
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2004, 10:41:50 AM »
Hi

We use Program Plus which is a combined worming and flea treatment.  One tablet once a month, and it's been great.  The vet will give you advice on this (although I think they all have their preferred treatments).

Tracey & Molly                    
Tracey, Molly &  little brother Brodie!