Author Topic: Kennel Cough ?  (Read 7401 times)

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Kennel Cough ?
« on: October 16, 2003, 09:10:07 AM »
Last night at training we were told that there is a bit of Kennel Cough going round the area and asked not to  take our dogs to classes if they catch it.

Guess what ? Within an hour of me getting Misty home she started coughing away, at first I thought she was retching and going to be sick..... but apart from a bit of water there was nothing. She carried on coughing all through the night, keeping me awake. I ended up reading the Doglopaedia about it at 4 am, which as ever was a mistake as it got me really worried. ::) She seems fine apart from this, not off her food but just a bit confused as to what's happening. :-

Anyway, my reputation as a needless worrier is about to be put to the test as we have a vet appointment booked for later this morning (first one in almost a week ;D ). Hopefully you will all be proved right ......  Misty will be fine and I am proved once and for all to be the number one col worry wart ! ::)                    

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Kennel Cough ?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2003, 09:22:20 AM »
I hope she'll be fine too Colin. Daisy had a mild bout of it as a pup - at a similar age I think as Misty is now.                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Kennel Cough ?
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2003, 09:25:42 AM »
Poor Misty :( It does sound like Kennel Cough - affected dogs frequently look like they're retching & trying to bring up something stuck in their thoat. Most cases need no veterinary treatment (unless secondary infection sets in) but you could try giving her a small teaspoon of Benylin (children's one) every so often. Garlic is also good for fighting the virus (we have had good results with Dorwest's Garlic & Fenugreek tablets in the past) You should check with the vet too that it's ok to bring Misty into the surgery - if she has kennel cough, she could pass it to every other dog sitting in the waiting room.                    
Jane

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Kennel Cough ?
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2003, 09:46:28 AM »
Poor Misty  :-[   I'm sure she'll be fine, though - that book has a lot to answer for, I've had numerous trips to the vet on the strength of something I've read in there  ;D :D  only to be told that I'm an over-anxious owner.
I've never seen a dog with kennel cough but from what Jane's said it sounds as though you've caught it early and it won't be too serious. Hope all goes well at the vets.   :)                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
Kennel Cough ?
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2003, 10:04:21 AM »
Poor Misty - I hope she's ok.

Phoebe had her vax against kennel cough before going on her hols - why does it only last six months????                    
Anita

Offline xander_ho

• Site Member
Kennel Cough ?
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2003, 11:22:40 AM »
Poor Misty :-, Hope there is nothing wrong with her, Colin please let us know if she is alright!!

Alexander                    

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
Kennel Cough ?
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2003, 11:59:52 AM »
Well for once my diagnosis was correct and Misty does have Kennel Cough. :( She seems her normal self though apart from sounding like she's been smoking 40 Bensons a day for the past 20 years. We got some antibiotics called Ronaxon and a bill for £56. ::) Would have been £80 if I'd taken the cough suppressants too. Not sure I want to pump her full of drugs really, I wish I'd read your reply Jane before setting off.

It seems to be an epidemic round here, Misty was the second dog in there today with it and another person phoned up about similar symptoms whilst we were waiting to pay. Vet reckoned the incubation period was about 5/7 days so it wasn't the mere mention of it by the trainer that brought it on.

The vet also said she'd be ok to return to training next week, 5 days away from other dogs would suffice.....I phoned the trainer and he agreed. (No ringcraft next monday though, so we get a weeks break from humiliating ourselves there 8) ;D ) The Doglopaedia however suggests 6 weeks away from dog gatherings ! :o This was one of the things that worried me when reading about it in the middle of the night, also the information that in puppies the disease may be complicated by secondary pneumonia which can cause death ! :o :o                    

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Kennel Cough ?
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2003, 12:12:27 PM »
I dont think the vet actually gave Daisy any treatment for kennel cough when she had it - at the time, she also had very mucousy poo with spots of blood in it, so he spent the first week trying her out on Panacur worming powder, and the second waiting for test results on her stools - all to eliminate lung worm as the source of the cough. At the end of that week, her cough had started to subside naturally. It was quite distressing to hear though, it really does sound horrible. Fortunately, Jazz didnt get the infection from Daisy, so hopefully Jimmy will be okay too  :)                    

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
Kennel Cough ?
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2003, 12:32:07 PM »
ahhh!!! poor  misty, i hope she,s soon feeling a lot better Colin.  :)                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Kennel Cough ?
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2003, 01:56:00 PM »
Awwwww hope she gets better soon Colin  ;)
So you had every right to be worried last night so maybe being a worry wart isn't such a bad thing  ;) ;D
I must admit i gave Butty Calpol when she hurt a leg as a baby (on the vets advice  ;)), i am one of those people who would rather try something 1st other than a trip to the vets, who said us Scots are tight  ;) ;D :-X                    

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Kennel Cough ?
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2003, 02:30:40 PM »
aaaw - poor you. What with Misty coughing and Jimmy trembling - they are testing your worrying levels to the full ;D I'm sure they'll both be up to no good in no time. :-* to you all                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Kennel Cough ?
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2003, 02:38:42 PM »
Sorry to hear about poor Misty Colin. If its any consolation, its rife up here again at the minute so my three are being watched like hawks ;) We have had about 5 dogs in this week already and met a couple of people from training whose dogs had it too :- I'm sure Misty will be right as rain in no time ;)                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
Kennel Cough ?
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2003, 03:16:15 PM »
Misty is as unphased by it all as ever, unlike me and Jimmy she isn't  a malingerer.......... thanks for all your kind words. :)

aaaw - poor you. What with Misty coughing and Jimmy trembling - they are testing your worrying levels to the full ;D I'm sure they'll both be up to no good in no time. :-* to you all

Well now I have something real to bother about I've no time for Jimmy and his imaginary ailments. ;D ;)                    

Offline Loraine

• Site Member
    • http://
Kennel Cough ?
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2003, 03:45:57 PM »
Just seen this - you poor thing must so worrying.  Hope she gets rid of it very soon.  Big hug and kiss to Misty (and Jimmy too)  :-*  :-*

Loraine.                    
Loraine and Candy xxxx

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Kennel Cough ?
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2003, 03:56:47 PM »
Misty will be back to normal in no time Colin ;) Must admit I'm surprised she's been given antibiotics - kennel cough is caused by a virus so antibiotics won't touch it (its like a doctor given you antibiotics for the common cold ;D) Then they wonder why antibiotics are not as effective as they used to be ;) Our dogs have had it a few times over the years & have always got over it with just the aid of good old Benylin plus garlic tablets :) The Kennel Club have a rule that you're not supposed to take a dog to a show within 3 weeks of being in contact with an infectious/contagious disease - not sure how many abide by that rule though ;)                    
Jane