Author Topic: Buttys 1st Season!!!!  (Read 7161 times)

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Buttys 1st Season!!!!
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2003, 10:14:38 PM »
Gilly, how old is Butty now?
I know what you mean about being all grown up too soon, Neneh was 8 months & 1 week when she had her first season and I was really sorry (she didn't care ::)) cos she was growing up so quick :-

Remember to make a note of the date of the start of the season, & the same when she has her next one, it will give you a rough guideline of how many months she goes inbetween.....handy if you're planning a holiday etc  ;)                    

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Buttys 1st Season!!!!
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2003, 10:53:19 PM »
Hiya Michele,

Thanks for the advice  ;) Butty is 13 1/2 months old  :D and it's weird because all of a sudden it feels like she's grown up overnight  :)
I've written it on the calander and also made a note on the PC so hopefully when the next ones come i might see some sort of pattern arising  :)
Edited to add....8 months & 1 week...gawd thats really quite young isn't it  :- i don't care what anyone says but it is like a child growing up...today she's been called "little lady" and "all grown up" instead of "wee baba"  :-X :'(

Gilly                    

Offline Allison

• Site Member
    • http://
Buttys 1st Season!!!!
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2003, 08:03:06 AM »
aw gilly welcome to the world of stain removing Sally cleans herself most of the time but leaves little dots on bed and pillows. young lady now :)                    
Allison, Neil & Sally.xxxxxxxxxx

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
Buttys 1st Season!!!!
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2003, 02:23:21 PM »
Well Butty is now 4 days into her season and all seems well, she's keeping herself really clean, although I did give her a bath yesterday  ;)
Upto now she has lost her appetite slightly which I expected and has been quite sleepy (i know how she feels  ;) ;D) but I have noticed that all of a sudden her eyes seem to have been quite watery, something she has never ever suffered from is runny eyes  ??? I have had to bathe them yesterday and today as her eyelashes were all crusty  :- could this be a hormone thing????

Gilly                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Buttys 1st Season!!!!
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2003, 06:55:24 PM »
.. but I have noticed that all of a sudden her eyes seem to have been quite watery, something she has never ever suffered from is runny eyes  ??? I have had to bathe them yesterday and today as her eyelashes were all crusty  :- could this be a hormone thing????
Gilly

Doubt it Gilly - sounds like she has a touch of conjunctivitis. If you get a tube of Brolene & apply it a couple of times a day for a few days, this should help. Maybe she has got some dust/grit in her eye - its been windy down here lately so I imagine its much the same up your way ;)                    
Jane

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
Buttys 1st Season!!!!
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2003, 07:14:48 PM »
Thanks Jane,

do I have to get brolene from the vets??? or can I buy it over the counter??

Thanks

Gilly                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Buttys 1st Season!!!!
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2003, 09:15:53 AM »
Over the counter Gilly from any chemist - much cheaper than what a vet would give you ;) Of course, if no improvement after a few days, then you might have to take Butty to the vet but hopefully, you won't need to :)                    
Jane

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
Buttys 1st Season!!!!
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2003, 08:29:01 AM »
Butty is now 2 weeks into her 1st season and everything seemed to be going OK......until this morning  ???
She was fine when i went to bed last night curled up on the couch all nice and cosy. But when i got up this morning she seems lethargic...no jumping up or any excitement  ??? you know when they are not their normal selves. I let her out for the toilet and she stood for ages just outside the back door so I tried to encourage her to go and do a wee. She went on the grass squated to do a wee and then just lay down  ??? when i called her back she wouldn't come...so my hubby had to go outside and pick her up to bring her back in  :o I seriously can't think what could be wrong  :- what cxould have happened to her during the night. Maybe I'm over reacting, could it be stomach cramps like us humans get....my other feeling is that maybe she's pulled a muscle as she seems a bit quivery with her tail tucked under  ???
Any advice would be appreciated before i take her to the vets  ;)

Thanks

Gilly                    

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Buttys 1st Season!!!!
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2003, 09:38:31 AM »
This sounds remarkably like how my springer Jazz behaves - clingy, lethargic, looking sorry for herself etc. The only difference is she behaves like this consistently throughout her season, and not just suddenly during the middle of one. Your instincts could be right and perhaps there is a problem - I would certainly give the vet nurse a call to see what she thinks, just in case  ;)                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Buttys 1st Season!!!!
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2003, 09:41:14 AM »
Our Lily does get cramps midway through her season - generally she is restless & can't settle, as soon as she lies down, she jumps back up again etc. I usually give 1/2 an aspirin which calms her down & it soon passes. Hope Butty is ok - it could be related to her season, but you're right she could have pulled a muscle in her back or anything. Its hard to say - I'd see how she is today, maybe give her some aspirin & if no improvement tomorrow, pop her along to the vet.                    
Jane

Offline Jen

• Site Member
Buttys 1st Season!!!!
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2003, 09:57:27 AM »
awww poor wee pet :( to think dogs get those horrid stomache cramps as well :( - bless her......I bet she wonders what's wrong  with her...

I'm sending her a cyber kiss from me  :-*- but think it's better to keep Monty out of this thread...he tends to be a bit frisky at the mention of bitches in season (ask Jazz ;))                    
Jen & Monty xx

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
Buttys 1st Season!!!!
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2003, 10:40:34 AM »
Our Lily does get cramps midway through her season - generally she is restless & can't settle, as soon as she lies down, she jumps back up again etc. I usually give 1/2 an aspirin which calms her down & it soon passes. Hope Butty is ok - it could be related to her season, but you're right she could have pulled a muscle in her back or anything. Its hard to say - I'd see how she is today, maybe give her some aspirin & if no improvement tomorrow, pop her along to the vet.

Thanks Jane, I'll try the Aspirin when i get home from work... :- I forgot to mention earlier that about midnight last night she has a frenzied digging/scratching session which lasted for ages in various places of the living room  :-
It is quite normal for her to scratch about before she lies down as if making a bed out of the carpet....but this was way beyond what i would call normal  :o Hopefully this is just season related so I'll be better prepared next time  ;)

Gilly                    

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
Buttys 1st Season!!!!
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2003, 10:45:33 AM »
The scratching sounds like its season related Gilly,   as shes in the most fertile part of her season.   it could be some sort of nest building!!  ;)                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline tracey

• Site Member
    • http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk
Buttys 1st Season!!!!
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2003, 12:12:26 PM »
Hi Gilly the frantic scratching and digging is probably a reaction to some discomfort she is feeling, probably due to cramps. Hopefully she will feel better after some asprin. :)
I have a bitch that digs and scratches when in season too.
Tracey :)                    
http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk

Love All
Trust A Few
Do Wrong To None
William Shakespeare

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
Buttys 1st Season!!!!
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2003, 12:15:55 PM »
Thanks everyone for putting my mind at rest.....she looked so forlorn and confused this morning as if to say "help me"  :'(
Will let you all know how she is later on  ;)

Gilly