Author Topic: Fading Puppies  (Read 4242 times)

Offline Sheila

• Site Member
Fading Puppies
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2004, 04:38:38 PM »
Oh, that is so sad.....I hope the remaining pups continue to thrive.

The litter that Lottie came from started at 7 and 2 little ones went in the first few days. We worried about Lottie for a little while, because she was the next tiniest one, but she was a little fighter and all was well. My breeder said that the first 10 days were the danger period for fading pups.

I hope all the other puppies grow strong and healthy                    

Offline padfoot

• Site Member
Fading Puppies
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2004, 10:30:12 PM »
I am so sorry Sandie  :(                    

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Fading Puppies
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2004, 11:34:40 PM »
Sandie, I'm so very sorry to hear your sad news  :cry:  and I hope the other pups continue to thrive.                    

Offline *-Nikki-*

• Site Member
    • www.nicibec-cockers.moonfruit.com
Fading Puppies
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2004, 11:56:26 PM »
Only just seen this post…

O Sandie, very sorry to hear of your loss :cry: ; hope your little ones and mother are coping Ok now.                    

Offline Sandie

• Site Member
    • http://
Fading Puppies
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2004, 08:50:19 AM »
Thanks for all your good wishes and kind words. I was indeed heartbroken when it happened, this being my very first litter and all.

Just thought I would let you know that these puppies were unlikely to have suffered from fading puppy syndrome. They were feeding normally off a syringe and never once made a noise that sounded like a seagull. They just made a sound like normal contented puppies.

What I didn't say before is when I was feeding one of the puppies, it sneezed and all this green stuff came out of his nose (the kind of green stuff that comes out when you have a really bad cold and you are congested).

I spoke to the stud dog owner last night to let her know what happened, and she said that the puppies were most likely born with fluid on the lungs and nothing I could have done would have saved them. I was concerned when they were born as they both had a rattle like congested baby has. I held those puppies and swung them up and down like most of the books I had read said, and the rattle seemed to stop. I guess all the fluid didn't come out.

I feel a lot better knowing this now and has helped me come to terms with their loss. I should have listened to Aimee when she rejected the little boy. She knew something was up and of course Mum knows best!

Thanks again everyone, you have been a great comfort. The other little puppies are beginning to thrive too.

Sandie, Aimee and Wesley xx                    

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Fading Puppies
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2004, 10:19:54 AM »
Well, its good news that its not fading puppy syndrome. One of our clients lost her entire litter of weimareners from that and you could just see the devastation on her face :cry:

The green nasal gunk and rattly chest were the symptoms that the little springer pup Robbie I had for a few days suffered from :cry:  He ended up with pneumonia but when he was taken to the vet school, it was discovered that most of his stomach was missing which was causing his food to go upwards instead of down. He too was rejected by his mum so maybe in hindisght it would have been better for him if he had been pTS then. But he was a happy puppy until he was PTS at 3 months, just a couple of weeks after I lost Brook :cry:

Hope mum and babies continue to do well.                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Jaljen

• Site Member
Fading Puppies
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2004, 01:14:34 PM »
So sorry.

Best, best wishes to you and Aimee and pups.                    

Offline Sandy J.

• Site Member
Fading Puppies
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2004, 10:01:45 AM »
It's so sad to hear that puppies' lives can be so short :( I'm very sorry. It's so unfair that such things happen...

Sandy & Sara