Author Topic: Bath time made easy (well easier!!)  (Read 1818 times)

Offline Marian

• Site Member
Bath time made easy (well easier!!)
« on: April 25, 2006, 10:15:47 PM »
I went on a one day dog grooming course on Friday, to learn how to clip and groom Harv - it was great fun, but poor Harv had to stand on the grooming table for 5 hours in total while I dithered around with the clippers and scissors. He was so tired that at one point I was looking closely at his feet while I was cutting them and he rested his head on the back of my neck and went to sleep (I could tell he was asleep because he got heavier and heavier).

Anyway, a big handy hint was to bath your dog using a scrunchy thing (like we use in the shower). It makes the shampoo go a lot further and is a lot easier than trying to use your fingers with all that excess skin on the dog!

Bathing Harv was one thing - it took me an hour to blow dry him - he was lovely and fluffy and clean when I'd finished, but because he was so fluffy it made it even scarier to go near him with the clippers!!

We both survived the experience in the end and I can't wait for a couple of months to pass so I get to try out my new found skills on poor unsuspecting Harv!
[IMG]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f329/robinw48/dsc000685.jpg[IMG]

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
Re: Bath time made easy (well easier!!)
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 10:22:28 PM »
Wow. I'm impressed! I couldn't get Fern to stay still for 5 minutes let alone 5 hours, and as for getting near her feet, well  forget it!
He was so tired that at one point I was looking closely at his feet while I was cutting them and he rested his head on the back of my neck and went to sleep (I could tell he was asleep because he got heavier and heavier).
Oh Bless!  :luv:

Gold stars to both of you.
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 02:47:04 PM »
I tried putting Paddy on an ironing board at the weekend: he ran to the other end, curled up in a ball and started crying.  I broke all the rules, scooped him up and cuddled him.  As a result, his legs (cut while sitting on my lap on the floor) look like a lunatic lawnmower has made free with him. 

Does the scrunchy thing make it easier to rinse the shampoo out at the end too?

Offline Marian

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 07:02:09 PM »
Hi, yes it does make it easier because the 'scrunchy' distributes the shampoo in bubble form all over the dogs body, instead of you having one globule dolloped in one area.

Another thing they mentioned on the course was that you should start shampooing from the back end of the dog and rinse him the other way - starting from the head end.

[IMG]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f329/robinw48/dsc000685.jpg[IMG]

Offline Mollycuddles

• Donator
  • cockers have a lotta fun
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 09:25:42 PM »
Thanks for that tip.... :shades:

Makes sense .....I'll definitely use a scrunchie next time I bath mine :D
Lyn, Molly, Georgie, Dagen, Tessa & Alfie X

Offline nezzielou

• Limited Member
  • XX My ZoO Is Bk! XX
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 05:42:50 PM »
sounds good to me  :D mork is an angel in the bath...he jumps in on command and then stays until i say up...he then jumps into the towel and demands a cuddle... :luv: then he goes and runs around the house getting everything wet  >:D millie knows how to climb out and i totally forgot how we got mork to stay still  >:( one thing we do with tia is face her to the wall...she dont see us and she sits there and grunts until i let her go then she scarpers  :luv: lol diesel....NO CHANCE! :luv:
Lv BeX n ZoO XxXx

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006, 06:40:56 PM »
Anyway, a big handy hint was to bath your dog using a scrunchy thing (like we use in the shower). It makes the shampoo go a lot further and is a lot easier than trying to use your fingers with all that excess skin on the dog!

I tried this today - its FANtastic, I've never managed to get Molo as clean at home as I did today with the scrunchie - thanks for sharing the tip Marian
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2006, 07:13:32 PM »
The scrunchie sounds like a fab idea, will defo be giving that a go, thanks for the tip  :D

Offline Mollycuddles

• Donator
  • cockers have a lotta fun
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2006, 08:23:32 PM »
I used the scrunchie thing on Georgie yesterday and it is much easier ... he also looked a lot whiter as it helped to remove the mud and grass stains from his legs...and I thought it was much more gentler than trying to rub with your fingers... :D

Thanks again for that brilliant tip.... ;)
Lyn, Molly, Georgie, Dagen, Tessa & Alfie X

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2006, 02:08:15 AM »
 :lol2:
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Offline winewood

• Donator
  • Now in Italy
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2006, 11:38:23 PM »
Great tips thanks, I going to try putting Indi in the shower we use the laundry sink and she just keeps trying to get out having her paws on my shoulders >:( the laundry ends up covered in water. Going to give Kody his first bath this weekend wish me luck
Owned and trained by two mad cockers