Author Topic: working cocker ears!!  (Read 2947 times)

Offline lyn

• Site Member
working cocker ears!!
« on: September 21, 2006, 11:24:03 AM »
how is the best way to trim them.paddy is half show and he has longer ears i think than full workers.the ends of his ears are looking a bit straggly no matter how often i brush them they revert to rats tails in minutes.
do i just cut in a straight line or do i shape them.

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
Re: working cocker ears!!
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 11:49:38 AM »
I couldn't bring myself to trim anything off Ferns ears, (which are a little longer than a lot of working cockers too). I wash/shampoo them regularly by dipping them in a pudding basin of water and towelling them off.

ph34r Sorry that's not the sort of answer you wanted was it?  :005:
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline MaxG

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 03:32:48 PM »
Hiya Lyn,

Not sure if we're doing the right thing or not but we trim/shape Max's ears when they get too long & straggly (&whiffy from dragging in all sorts - despite regular dipping in bowls of warm shampooey water!)

Max is half worker & half show too & his ears always look quite smart when we've trimmed them - I think it's just personal preference but we carefully go round the shape of the ear with the straight scissors & then 'feather' the finish with the thinning scissors so that it doesn't look too deliberate!

I'm sure Paddy will look gorgeous no matter what you do - he's lovely!!  :luv:
from Kath & 'Mad Max' !!

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 05:27:33 PM »
I haven't trimmed Alfie's ears but if I did then I think I'd probably go round the shape of his ear rather than cutting straight, might give a more natural finish.

MaxG - I didn't know Max was half worker half show!  :D
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Penel

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 06:52:51 PM »
Can you "pull" the hair out rather than cut it - that's how I do Hattie's ears - hers are rather hopeless examples of cocker ears though !

Offline flozac

• Inactive
  • I must be even madder!!!!
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2006, 08:25:08 PM »
Zac has big ears with loads of  curly hair on them they are a bit like rugs.I use a coat king on them and just trim them straight acoss. In the summer I usually clip  them right down and let them  grow all over again. Floss has ears  like Hattie (above) and one has longer hair on it than the other so really I should trim it to the same length as the other, but I just comb or brush them through. Little Scout just  has little puppy curly ears so I just play with them!!
Nicola,Zac,Jess,Floss,Scout,Ciara and baby Reiver

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2006, 08:45:49 PM »
Buddy's ears are a bit long. I have tried  the coat king on them but he just yelps, and none seems to come out at all when I try by hand (but I can't get it out of his head either. Is it likely that I just don't have the knack, or do they sometimes have "resistant hair"?

So far I have just trimmed them around the shape of the ears. But I felt they then looked too short (about an inch longer than his leathers, if that's the right term.

Offline MaxG

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2006, 09:54:35 PM »
MaxG - I didn't know Max was half worker half show!  :D

Well I THINK he is - his dad is a worker & his mum is a show so I just assumed that meant he was a 50:50 boy!!  :005:
from Kath & 'Mad Max' !!

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2006, 01:09:19 PM »
I trimmed Paddy's ears (show cocker) straight across (because I'm a moron).

He looked suspiciously like Elizabeth Taylor in Cleopatra when she's got that very crisp long bob.  More than a little disconcerting. ph34r :005: :005: ph34r

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2006, 01:15:27 PM »

He looked suspiciously like Elizabeth Taylor in Cleopatra when she's got that very crisp long bob.  More than a little disconcerting. ph34r :005: :005: ph34r
   :huh: Wot no piccies?  ;)  :005:
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline Neville

• Site Member
  • Me 13 weeks old
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2006, 01:18:40 PM »

:005: :005: :005:
Look forward to hearing from you!

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2006, 01:33:39 PM »

:huh: Wot no piccies?  ;)  :005:

Happily - no.  They've since grown and been trimmed to follow the contours of his lugs - looks nice. 

Which goes some way to make up for the "plucked chicken" look he's sporting since I had to adopt the "slash and burn" policy on trimming his legs (i.e. "quick, he's still, just bloody cut the hair off - oh dear, perhaps not THAT much hair.  Too late.  Give us the other leg to butcher, mate...." policy).

Denise

Offline lyn

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2006, 01:49:57 PM »
thanks guys,i will carefully trim and shape.i am always dipping his ears in a jug of water but that has no effect.
penel,paddy is a wuss and will not tolerate stripping.glad i waited for my internet connection to be fixed now.i was just gonna lob a load off straight across the bottom.jim would never forgive me if he ended up looking like elizabeth taylor :005:

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2006, 08:41:05 PM »
.jim would never forgive me if he ended up looking like elizabeth taylor :005:

Would Jim mind if Paddy was a girl and if it was young, slim Elizabeth Taylor (s)he looked like????? :lol: :005:

Offline CAG

• Site Member
  • my girls, crumpet and hannah, both little tinkers
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2006, 06:48:55 PM »
use thining scissors at the top, just go up into the coat and cut , better thinned than cut across like cleo patra. :005: :005: :005: :005: :005:  better to use thining scissors  at the bottom as well