Author Topic: Your Thoughts On This Email I Received  (Read 3264 times)

Offline Li7nda

• Site Member
Your Thoughts On This Email I Received
« on: June 26, 2005, 10:18:20 PM »
i found an advert on a free advertising site on the internet and wrote and asked this person why his litter of puppies were D**C registered and not Kennel Club registered, because on reading this advert I found the owner of this litter be quite genuine.  Let me tell you first that I do not advocate anything in his reply as being correct, I am just curious as to other COL'ers view.  He brings up the matter of docking which I am also a bit confused about.  Anyway here is his reply

This is the reply

[/QUOTE]Sorry your wrong Im an ex Kennel Club member Facts:

1. Kennel Club is nothing more than a reputation, ie something some people like to quote to try and impress others.  I find that sad as it implies that those people are in need of external things to build their personalities and apparently make them something they are not.
2. Thanks to Mr Blair the cruel and unethical process of docking puppies tails in the first 7 days of life is now illegal in England - remember this is done without anaesthetic and distresses the puppies greatly. Sadly the Kennel Club tries to uphold and defend this cruel process. It does them no credit. They say it is to "maintain the standard of the breed" I say its just cruel and now thankfully illegal. Most vets incidentally will have nothing to do with tail docking and in fact supported the ban.
3. There are differences between the 2 organisations - Kennel Club is principally for those who intend to show their dogs. Dog Lovers is for those looking for family pets. Both are legitimate pursuits and I wouldnt like to say one is better than the other
4. For people in the north west of England it is better to have a local organisation representing the area and it is much easier to see parents and grandparents if they are locally registered.
5. I dont think puppies or any other species including humans should always be compared nor is it appropriate to constantly ask who is best. Life human or animal isnt a competition.  And always asking such a question must surely lead to dissatisfaction as there is no definitive universal answer there are only opinions which are always subjective.
6. My pedigree cocker spaniels are gorgeous. All 7 healthy. 4 sold to good family homes already. Im sorry they arent members of the club you would like them to belong to but I can assure you that to me and to them it makes not the slightest bit of difference.
I hope you find whatever it is you are looking for and can go through life being a little less judgemental.
Linda, Jesse and Bentleyxx

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2005, 10:24:09 PM »
Oh this is going to be a hot one!!!

I'd be interested to hear what it was in his reply that made you decide he is genuine.

I don't know much about docking, but what I thought was that it is now illegal for breeders, themselves to dock the tails of their pups (and quite right IMO), but if they can find a vet willing to do it humanely, then that's OK. I do know that some COL breeders insist on their pups being docked.

I really don't agree with much this man has to say about KC. I'm sure some more knowledgable members will be along soon.

For my part, although KC registration doesn't guarantee good standards on the part of the breeder, it is one indication that they might be breeding responsibly, and I can't see any good reason for a breeder deciding to opt out of the KC system!

Offline daunting

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2005, 10:52:06 PM »
I think Linda meant that in the advert he seemed genuine enough, i don't think she meant his email :)

The problem as i see it with the D**C is that most people buying pups are under the impression it is runs along the same lines as the KC.  
Breeders with the D**C mislead or don't quite explain in full what it is.
There are shortcomings in the KC but i would rather get a pup from a breeder registered with them than one from a club that doesn't at least try to uphold the same standards.

I don't agree with docking but there are exceptions to this where i would agree docking is the best thing for the dog.
Donna, *Tia*, Saffi, Max, Harley, Egan, Mia

http://hope-rescue.proboards.com/index.cgi

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2005, 11:29:31 PM »
D**C are just a con IMHO.  :angry:

The man who owns and started D**C is the same man who owns the biggest puppy retail outlet in the north west, most of which come from South Wales and Ireland and hence probably puppy farmers. Some friends of our bought a westie from this outlet not so long ago, they paid £500 and say it is a pedigree as they have its registration documents, however the "documents" they are talking about are the D**C documents and although I have not said this to them their "Westie" looks more like a cross breed westie than a purebreed.  :huh:

Sounds like this man has been taken in by the utter gobledeygook nonsense that sits on the D**C web site  :(

How much is he selling these pups for?

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2005, 11:31:01 PM »
Well he can't be an ex Kennel Club member so that's one fib for a start ;) Kennel Club members are a small, select band & you only get invited to become a member after years of successful experience in dogs, whether that's agility, obedience, breeding, showing or whatever. He's also completely wrong about docking - whether you agree with it or not, it remains legal in the UK as long as it is carried out by a qualified vet. There are proposals to ban docking (with probable exceptions for "working" dogs) but they are not law yet & are not likely to be for a while. He's also wrong about the KC being only for those involved in showing - the KC isn't perfect by any means but there is a lot more to the KC than just regulating showing. KC registration is not a guarantee that a puppy comes from a reputable breeder but not reputable breeder would use any other organisation ;) I'm purposely not using the name of the "other organisation" because I know they use search engines to find negative references to them on websites & enjoy threatening people with legal action ;)

Jane
Jane

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2005, 11:33:57 PM »
I'm purposely not using the name of the "other organisation" because I know they use search engines to find negative references to them on websites & enjoy threatening people with legal action ;)

Jane
[snapback]134023[/snapback]

OOPS looks like they won't like me then  :lol:

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2005, 11:36:08 PM »
OOPS looks like they won't like me then  :lol:
[snapback]134024[/snapback]
No probs, a few strategic asterisks should stop them finding this discussion ;)

Jane
Jane

Offline Li7nda

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2005, 11:38:53 PM »
D**C are just a con IMHO.  :angry:

The man who owns and started D**C is the same man who owns the biggest puppy retail outlet in the north west, most of which come from South Wales and Ireland and hence probably puppy farmers. Some friends of our bought a westie from this outlet not so long ago, they paid £500 and say it is a pedigree as they have its registration documents, however the "documents" they are talking about are the D**C documents and although I have not said this to them their "Westie" looks more like a cross breed westie than a purebreed.  :huh:

Sounds like this man has been taken in by the utter gobledeygook nonsense that sits on the D**C web site  :(

How much is he selling these pups for?
[snapback]134022[/snapback]

He is selling them for 365 pounds and points out that both parents can be seen, which in these circumstances seem a bit suspicious.

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2005, 11:39:10 PM »
OOPS looks like they won't like me then  :lol:
[snapback]134024[/snapback]
No probs, a few strategic asterisks should stop them finding this discussion ;)

Jane
[snapback]134025[/snapback]

he he he sneaky but I like it  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2005, 11:39:44 PM »
There will always be those who knock the KC and indeed they are not perfect, nor is buying a pup who is KC registered any guarentee of anything. However a reputable breeder WILL register their litters with them and not the D*C

When we talk about reputable breeders, we are talking about breeders who do the research on the bloodlines, ensuring that any traits not wanted in a breed are bred out and that they are only breeding from healthy proven stock. All the records can be sourced from the KC if the dam and sire are KC registered, a service that is not provided by the D*C.

As to tail docking, its not illegal in this country at this time. The law now states that docking has to be done by a qualified vet and can no longer be done by the breeder. Less and less vets are willing to dock but it is NOT illegal in England. I have heard that is was to be made illegal in Scotland but Im not sure if its been passed
Caroline and Alfie

Offline daunting

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2005, 11:41:20 PM »
QUOTE(Jan/Billy @ Jun 26 2005, 11:33 PM)
OOPS looks like they won't like me then  laugh.gif

Nor me :lol:
Bring it on :D

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2005, 11:43:05 PM »
He is selling them for 365 pounds and points out that both parents can be seen, which in these circumstances seem a bit suspicious.
[snapback]134027[/snapback]

mmmhh strange. What would a reputable breeder sell KC registered cockers for these days??

Offline Li7nda

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2005, 11:52:39 PM »
[snapback]134027[/snapback]

mmmhh strange. What would a reputable breeder sell KC registered cockers for these days??
[snapback]134033[/snapback]

i think it depends on the area, but i would estimate a decent kc registered puppy would cost between 450 up north to 600 down south.  I only paid 450 for Bentley and he has some excellent breeding lines and that was in Linncoln. What i find suspicious in this man's circumstances is that both parents can be seen, therefore imo no great thought has been put into the breedling lines.  I mentioned eye and hip tests and asked several questions in reply to this email and i am waiting in anticipation for a further reply.

Maybe i am making a mountain out of a molehill on this subject, but i am very curious on COLers opinions.

Offline sarahb2206

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2005, 10:59:20 AM »
doesn't ring right with me -

1)  He has got some crucial info completely wrong on docking

2)  it seems  that he's got his head lodged firmly up his own backside :blink:

3)  has he fallen out with the KC big time over something????

4)  His attitude is just completely wrong for a genuine dog lover - he's too             angry....  :huh:
Sarah and Bramble XX

Offline daunting

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2005, 11:27:25 AM »
2)  it seems  that he's got his head lodged firmly up his own backside :blink:
[snapback]134054[/snapback]

:lol:  :lol: