Author Topic: About pregnacy...  (Read 1975 times)

Offline Sandy J.

• Site Member
About pregnacy...
« on: August 13, 2004, 02:37:03 PM »
Do you think that a 6 years old bitch can still become a mother? I've read that in general bitches can have puppies from 2nd to 8th year of their lives, but as you all know everything depends on a kind of a dog. Does any of you know anything about cockers' pregnacy? Do you think that having puppies would be bad for an older dog's health? I've been considerating this matter for a long time recently but without any conclusions. I hope that you'll help me:).

Sandy & Sara                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
About pregnacy...
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2004, 05:01:05 PM »
I would not advise a 6 year old bitch be bred from if she has not had a litter before - she is too old to be a first-time Mum in my opinion. That's not to say that she could not have a litter but I personally would not risk a bitch this age. If she has had a litter before, then it might be different but not if this was a first litter - the risks are too high (older bitches are more likely to have a difficult birth & need a caesarian, particularly if this is a first litter)

Jane                    
Jane

Offline Kim

• Site Member
    • Molkara Cocker Spaniels
About pregnacy...
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2004, 06:16:05 PM »
I totally agree with Jane, also bear in mind, she may not have a strong Mothering instinct, at this age & may reject her pups                    
www.Molkara.co.uk

Save the earth; it's the only planet with chocolate.

Offline Sandy J.

• Site Member
About pregnacy...
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2004, 10:48:59 AM »
I think you're right - it can be too risky... I cannot let her do anything that could be bad for her. But it's a pity that she has never had puppies. I should have thought about it a few years earlier :) . Thanks for your advices :D

Sandy & Sara                    

Offline Allison

• Site Member
    • http://
About pregnacy...
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2004, 02:27:38 PM »
At what age would a bitch be considered as fit and well?                    
Allison, Neil & Sally.xxxxxxxxxx

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
About pregnacy...
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2004, 04:42:05 PM »
Do you mean fit to have a litter Allison? I would say between 2-3 years old is the optimum age for a Cocker to have a first litter, but it varies with different breeds (toy breeds are often bred from younger than this).

Jane                    
Jane