Author Topic: Waiting Lists  (Read 8029 times)

Offline taniac

• Site Member
Waiting Lists
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2004, 01:43:48 PM »
Having gone about getting our first cocker in completely the wrong way (pet shop.. although was lucky with him, KC registered, vaccinated etc) because I didn't know any better, I did things differently the second time around.

We did look at rescue dogs but they wouldn't even consider us because we both worked full-time.  This made me worry even more about the possiblility of getting a puppy from a breeder because we worked and they might not think we had enough time to dedicate to a puppy.

The OH and I have put a lot of effort into our dogs, we took time off when they first came home, I worked from home, we take in turns to go home during the day, arrange for dog walkers/neighbour/family to go in when we can't make it, and have trained both dogs and continue to do so even though Neo is now 2.  My mum wanted us to wait until I was at home before we got a dog, but I wanted to make sure I had the dogs settled and trained before we embarked on a family of our own.  I'll see how well it works the other way around when my brother get's their lab pup in 6 weeks (they have two children age 3 yrs and 6 yrs).

However, I'm sure there are many people who work fulltime who don't put as much effort into raising their dogs, and it must be very hard for the breeders to know what type of person they are dealing with even with all the questions.

I have to say I did find it all very daunting, but I guess more because I was worried we'd have been considered inadequate, when I know we have provided a loving caring home for both our dogs.  There are two sides to every coin and I'm sure there are some people who do take the easy route to getting a puppy, I feel much better knowing I can phone Jovi's breeder about any problems as I didn't have that with Neo (although the phone no. was on the vaccination card).

If we ever add to our family of dogs, which is unlikely for a long while, we'll be going to a breeder and hoping they think we're suitable.
Tania
(Neo and Jovi's Mum)

Offline Sandie

• Site Member
    • http://
Waiting Lists
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2004, 08:28:33 PM »
One of the families that bought one of my puppies rang me up to enquire and we chatted for about 10 minutes before I asked her any questions about working, arrangements etc. My first question was obviously did she work full time, at which case she said no, then automatically thought I thought she was a "dosser" (her words not mine  :) ) She said she wasn't a dosser, she just had an 18 month old son so was now in a position to fulfil a dream. At the age of 13 when working in a vets, she decided she wanted a blue roan cocker spaniel bitch. Luckily for her when she rang me, one had become available. We chatted several times on the phone, I even spoke to her partner a few times too.....weeks of emails came checking on the puppy's progress, how she was getting on, was she ok after her injection etc, I just knew my puppy was going to a lovely caring home.

When the day came for the puppy to go, I felt i knew this young family like an old friend. When they saw the puppy for the very first time, they cried. They were overjoyed to see her. I knew from that moment, my puppy was in great hands.

The buyer was very knowledgeable on cockers. She had read a good book before she came and was asking me lots of questions on trimming etc. So I took Aimee and showed her where to trim etc. She was over the moon that I took the time to show her these things and explain things.

I know how first time buyers feel when buying a puppy. I was the third breeder this lady phoned and she told me later, she had spoken to a few who she felt were nasty, abrupt and couldn't be bothered to talk to her or sell her a puppy. Now this lady went the right way about buying a puppy. She started off with the Cocker Spaniel Club, who gave her the name and address of her local cocker club. She phoned this lady who was extremely rude to her, but eventually gave her an address of a breeder. Fortunately, she contacted my cousin who breeds cockers, who not having any puppies for sale, put her in touch with me. My cousin then rang me up and told me of this lady.

I know breeders like their puppies to go to loving and caring homes, I certainly do, but please give a thought for the genuine people out there who want to give a loving home to your puppy but are spoken to rudely. I agree with what Rachel said earlier in the post about not asking too many questions. Ask what you need to know nicely and politely, and you might find your prospective buyer will answer some of your questions without you even asking. Mine certainly did and I am proud that my puppies had loving and caring homes to go to, and I made nice friends in the process.

Sorry for the long epic, its just my thoughts on the subject!

Sandie

Offline Chrissy

• Site Member
    • Powerscourt Cocker Spaniels
Waiting Lists
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2004, 11:00:49 PM »
Hello Tidge

I don’t think the question of how far a puppy travels is of huge importance; I think the important part is making sure that the journey is as comfortable as possible for the puppy.  Any journey (even short journeys) can be daunting and possibly uncomfortable for a pup.  I always ask my puppy buyers to bring essential supplies (newspaper, water, bowl, kitchen towel, wet wipes and something to dispose of any soiled items).  On the odd occasion an owner has forgotten to bring things I’m always happy to supply everything needed so that I can be sure the pup is as comfortable as possible.  I also ask them to travel with the pup (if at all possible) in a crate rather than on their lap.  I find pups get hot sitting on laps on the journey home and it’s also potentially dangerous if the driver need to brake sharply etc.  The other thing I ask them to do is to check the heating in the car and ensure the car is neither too hot nor too cold (i.e. some moderate heat in cold weather and air condiditioning in hot weather).

What tends to happen with most owners who have a long journey to face is that they put either newspaper in the foot space of the car or in the boot area of an estate/hatchback.  After a suitable time into the journey they stop in a safe area and allow the puppy to eliminate on the newspaper (which they are happy to use from their training here).  They are also offered a drink of water and then the journey continues happily.  In reality the majority of pups actually go straight to sleep at the start of the journey and don’t wake until they arrive in their new homes!  Once there they are able to go to the toilet, drink and eat and explore.

Regards, Chris

Offline Chrissy

• Site Member
Waiting Lists
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2004, 11:19:44 PM »
Just a few thoughts on vetting!

I think all caring breeders want to know their pups are going to permanent, committed and loving homes.  Some form of interaction between potential buyers is essential, hopefully the breeder can reassure themselves that the prospective owner can offer the type of home they desire and equally so the potential owner can ask questions and hopefully satisfy themselves that they are happy with the circumstances the pup has been reared in, the health and temperament of the puppy and feel that they will get good advice and support from the breeder.

Out of all the prospective owners I’ve met I have agreed to them having a puppy in all but two cases (won’t bore you with the details but pleased to say that both families contacted me a short while after to say that they realised that they weren’t as ready for a dog in their lives as they felt they were and thanked me for my honesty)

I’m very proud to say that out of the 70+ pups I’ve bred over the years I’m still in regular contact with EVERY owner.  The owners have become friends and not a week goes by without some form of contact (i.e. emails, telephone calls, letters, photo’s, cards etc.) being made (usually initiated by the new or not so new owners!)  I also get a couple of visits per year from the majority of my pups (dogs) even though some live a good 4 hours or so away.  

The other thing I’m proud to say is that I’ve only ever had one dog back (although I would willingly take any of my pups/dogs back if needed!).  The little chap (6 months old) who came back to me was very sadly relinquished after the family were involved in a very serious car accident.  I’m still in regular contact with this family and consider myself privileged that they felt they could approach me at this terrible time for them rather than place the little lad into rescue etc.  

Because my puppy buyers have all become friends I can see that my pups/dogs are healthy, happy and their owners are just as much in love with them months/years down the line as they were when they collected them.

The point of all this is that I feel that my vetting process has worked wonderfully for me as the “proof of the pudding is in the eating” as they say!

None of my potential buyers ever appeared intimidated by the process (in fact the majority of my buyers usually end up rolling around the carpet with the pups/dogs whilst the vetting is being carried out even though they have only met me face to face for a few minutes!).  They are comfortable and relaxed here and made welcome and I personally enjoy my time with them as much as they appear to appreciate and enjoy the time I offer them.

Sorry this has been long but I felt I had a lot to say :o)

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
    • home of the Fernlow band of cockers!!!
Waiting Lists
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2004, 10:31:35 AM »
We keep in contact with all our babies and their families.

It is amazing how much you can find out from just chatting - covers tend to slip!!! There are pros and cons to every family sitution - and you have to decide whether a pup being left for a few hours during the day is enough to stop an otherwise loving and devoted person from having a puppy. I like to hear people tell me what they plan to do - the ones who have thought about it usually have an army style plan set out - and are really prepared!

Them asking questions is also a good sign that they have done a lot of thinking and preparation! If i don't think someone has done enough research i tell them to go and read up then come back.It is amazing how few of them do!

gut feeling also has it's uses!

clare
Clare
Fern (HRH) and Willow (lolo)
Bryony, Gypsi, Thorn and Rocky

Sorry if my Post offends you, my cocker spaniel has learnt to type and i can not be held responsible for her attitude problem!

Offline Chrissy

• Site Member
Waiting Lists
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2004, 11:55:56 AM »
It is amazing how much you can find out from just chatting - covers tend to slip!!! There are pros and cons to every family sitution - and you have to decide whether a pup being left for a few hours during the day is enough to stop an otherwise loving and devoted person from having a puppy. I like to hear people tell me what they plan to do - the ones who have thought about it usually have an army style plan set out - and are really prepared!

My sentiments exactly!  In fact I’m at pains to point out to any prospective owner that “negative” answers won’t automatically preclude anyone from having a puppy from me.  I’m more than happy to talk about everything and see if a happy compromise can be achieved.  I’ve found that all genuine people are very committed and will move heaven and earth to make sure things are right for their new puppy.

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
Waiting Lists
« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2004, 12:52:00 PM »
"If breeders find it so difficult to give up their pups,  and expend so much energy seeking suitable homes, why do they breed at all?"

I couldn't give him an answer, can anyone who does breed help me out?
Because i have put years (effort and tears) into my dogs, aiming to breed perfect puppy's to join our family, and now, to be able to show. Unfortunatly there are hardly any one puppy litters, so homes need to be found for the rest of the family -as these puppys are no less important than the ones that stay the new homes have to be as good as mine! and i'm going to ask as many questions as i want and vet as hard as i feel neccessary to ensure this!

do i hear any here here's????

As for rehoming rates- i offer fostering, holiday care and rehoming to ALL puppies which i have bred - they NEVER really leave our family as far as i am concerned. If the owners i have chosen can't keep them - then i want them back! I have only had to rehome one puppy, on medical grounds, she came home and stayed! She now lives with my Ex - as most of you know.  

Clare

Sorry if my Post offends you, my cocker spaniel has learnt to type and i can not be held responsible for her attitude problem!

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
Waiting Lists
« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2004, 01:26:48 PM »
 :)
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Waiting Lists
« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2004, 08:48:35 PM »
I can only imagine how hard it must be to find homes for puppies and then spend the next 12-15 years thinking  - "was that the right home to chose"  With large  or several litters, it must be so emotionally draining. :(

as these puppys are no less important than the ones that stay the new homes have to be as good as mine!
I think that this is one of the things that I have had bad experiences with. Do you mean that those homes that are inexperienced, or have different circumstances to your own are not as good as yours, or do you mean a home where a dog will be loved and cared for as much as yours are? I would hope the second of the two, as it must be impossible for breeders to find homes with the same level of experience and knowledge as you and other breeders have.

When I began phoning breeders, the first few I spoke to, if my answers to their initial questions on the phone (which seemed to relate to my working hours, and having young children) were not the answers that the breeder wished to hear, then they were not prepared to find out if I could provide a caring, loving home for a puppy, they told me that they would not consider me as a home for one of their pups; end of conversation. One of them even said I would never find a breeder prepared to sell me a puppy until my daughter was much older :(

I was lucky. After a couple of knock backs, I was put in touch with Molos breeder, who was prepared to spend time with us and get to know us before she made a decison as to whether we were suitable. She told us that she hadn't rehomed to a family with a child as young as ours before, but by talking to us she realised that we had considered it carefully and she was happy with our plans.

If, instead of finding Molos breeder, I had been knocked back again, I would have begun to believe that we  couldn't offer a home 'as good as' the breeders.

What should I then have done? I knew I could offer a good loving home to a dog; but I encountered many obstacles in my quest for a reputably bred, purebreed cocker :(  
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
Waiting Lists
« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2004, 12:31:34 PM »
I can only imagine how hard it must be to find homes for puppies and then spend the next 12-15 years thinking  - "was that the right home to chose"  With large  or several litters, it must be so emotionally draining. :(

as these puppys are no less important than the ones that stay the new homes have to be as good as mine!
I think that this is one of the things that I have had bad experiences with. Do you mean that those homes that are inexperienced, or have different circumstances to your own are not as good as yours, or do you mean a home where a dog will be loved and cared for as much as yours are?
Life is full of so many different people in so many different circumstances. Not all can offer a huge house and rambling garden - expecting this would be unreasonable (i don't even have this!)

I certainly mean new owners who will  love and cherish our babies as much as we do - who have lots to offer the pup in the way of a fulfilling life - and complete devotion!.
Although someone who has had dogs in the past MAY be a good candidate, an inexperianced family should not be disregarded. They simply need more education and care to ensure that they are prepared and patient enough to cope with a puppy, or dog in general.

I am i firm believer that children and dogs can learn alot from each other. Young children would not count against a responsible otherwise perfect adult owner. The emphasis being on the adult. One of our puppies went to a family with 5 children (please don't pass out at this untill i explain...) I know the family quite well and they have a black cocker already. I insist on seeing the whole family - so they all came round and i watched how the younger ones interacted with the dogs. They were all considerate and gentle - a real credit to the parents. When alowed to see the puppies the youngest one (who could have easily grabbed one of the pups) asked his older sister to pick one up for him so he could have a cuddle!!!

Were they a good choice??? Well Yarnie gets a whole chicken to himself every sunday, sleeps on the bed and is spoiled and loved!

Certainly these are all my views - based on my experiance - certainly they are not set in stone and i would have no problem telling someone that i did not feel i could home a puppy with them if i was at all concerned about them
Clare

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
Waiting Lists
« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2004, 12:56:30 PM »
As you know, I am not a breeder but I do love my dogs and care for them with all my heart and soul.  When Chloe has gone and it is time to get another puppy, I do not mind telling you that the breeder can make me jump through hoops if she feels that is what it takes to satisfy herself that her puppy is going to the best home.  When I got Chloe, I knew nothing about buying a puppy or disreputable breeders.  The owner asked nothing about circumstances, experience or anything else.  She made it clear that she did not take them back under any circumstances nor would she help at holiday times.  Lucky for the owner (and Chloe) that it was me and hubby that bought her.  Chloe has cost, well, enough to buy a new car :D twice over probably.  Do I begrudge it?  Not one single penny.  Not for a second.  Do I think that she could easily have been bought by someone less serious about being an owner and found herself tied to a fence by some motorway when the going got tough?  You bet I do.  I know I am all over the place with this post but what I am trying to say is that for me (maybe not others), nothing breeders ask, no question, request, revelation of details, visit, proof, anything is too much in my opinion.  All it says to me is that they love their precious babies as much as I would.  
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Waiting Lists
« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2004, 02:41:45 PM »
but what I am trying to say is that for me (maybe not others), nothing breeders ask, no question, request, revelation of details, visit, proof, anything is too much in my opinion. All it says to me is that they love their precious babies as much as I would. 

My sentiments exactly Sheryl ;)  
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)