Author Topic: Blocked Anal Gland  (Read 5879 times)

Offline Allison

• Site Member
    • http://
Blocked Anal Gland
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2004, 10:13:51 PM »
Thanks for all your replies, much appreciated yet again :D  Will definately give the chicken wings a go. Let me just confirm, completely raw you say as in uncooked :?:  :?:  :?:  I might just smash 'em up a bit with a mallet and see how she goes on :D  Thank you all :D  Allison, Neil & Sally.                    
Allison, Neil & Sally.xxxxxxxxxx

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Blocked Anal Gland
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2004, 08:26:00 AM »
This is going to sound silly but what about the bones?

I'd love to give Indie some but I thought we had to steer clear of bones?
 :oops:

Shona x                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Jenny_930

• Site Member
Blocked Anal Gland
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2004, 08:41:02 AM »
Paddy loves chicken wings, only problem was last time he ate it so fast he didn't chew it and it got stuck in his throat  :!:   he went very pale, his gums were really white............frightened the life out of both of us, so I've been too worried to give them again  :(                    

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
Blocked Anal Gland
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2004, 09:17:10 AM »
Yes - completey raw. Just keep an eye on them if they haven't had them before. They only become brittle once they have been cooked.

Most dogs do crunch them up ok but its worth keeping an eye on them.

Go for it.                    
Anita

Offline Lindaphills

• Site Member
Blocked Anal Gland
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2004, 04:00:41 PM »
Yep. thats the way, completely raw :lol:  :lol:

A chicken wing contains very young soft bone and is suitable to give to pups as young as 8 weeks :shock:    so don't worry, just make sure you supervise them.  

You can give these every single day for 1 meal.  As a guide I would give 3 wings and see how they go.  Most dogs love them so much they will look at you with pleading eyes for some more. :lol:
As a guide, keep your eye on their poop, it shouldn't really be white marbles, it should have a bit of pigment to it. (lovely topic)

I would be very interested in the outcome of this little feeding experiment regarding the anal glands problems so keep me posted and let me know how you all get on.

Obviously results won't be overnight but still very very interesting to see how things turn out.

Good luck

Linda and jess                    
Linda, Jess and baby Jimmy
   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline PennyB

Blocked Anal Gland
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2004, 09:31:50 PM »

As a guide, keep your eye on their poop, it shouldn't really be white marbles, it should have a bit of pigment to it. (lovely topic)

..and if it is white marbles is that a problem?                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Lindaphills

• Site Member
Blocked Anal Gland
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2004, 09:58:55 PM »
Too much bone can cause constipation :cry:  3 or 4 wings a day for an adult cocker spaniel is IMHO enough bone to be digesting per day.

When I first started feeding raw, I gave Jess 8 wings in 1 day and her poo was like white chalk rocks :shock:  :shock:

Jess has 3 per meal now, but occasionally I'l give her an extra one for a lunchtime treat, especially if we've been on a really long walk :lol:

Like everything in life - all good things in moderation :D  :D

Linda                    
   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
Blocked Anal Gland
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2004, 09:39:56 AM »
Phoebe had three for her tea last night. The cat nearly had one of them but gave up after a while :roll:                    
Anita

Offline Allison

• Site Member
    • http://
Blocked Anal Gland
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2004, 08:30:01 PM »
So far so good Sally has had 3 chicken wings per day for the last 3 days and only scooted the once! I think that was because she was wet through as we had just showered her and maybe she had a wet botty :D  It is quite funny watching her eat them as she wants to take them and hide them. :)  Last night I left the door open to the front room and when I sat down to tuck into my LARGE glass of red I found a chicken wing hid behind the cushion :D Her no 2 have gone a pale colour but she seems to be bursting her anal gland as the no2 seems so much more solid :lol: what a bloody subject :lol:  We will keep you posted.  :roll:  :roll:                    
Allison, Neil & Sally.xxxxxxxxxx

Offline Lindaphills

• Site Member
Blocked Anal Gland
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2004, 09:42:12 AM »
Thats great news Alison :lol:  :lol: .  When jess has her wings, she takes them one at a time into her basket in the kitchen to munch :lol:

Poop from bones really is a lot harder isn't it?  hopefully this will be the end of her problems :lol:   Really glad its going well so far :D

Linda and jess                    
   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline dollar

• Site Member
Blocked Anal Gland
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2004, 12:05:22 AM »
Hi Allison,
i was intrested in your problem with anul glands when Bramble was about 2 yrs old we had the same prob.the vet done the emptying for us but told us it could be diet related as firm stools assist the dog to empty them the way nature intended.
I was amazed at the ammount of different foods your dog gets.
Bramble is on Hero lite available at Asda she has two handle fulls daily and a treat on Sundays with dinner and she is fine.
I would try your spaniel on the all inclusive diet and persivere with it.
Its hard at first but this food has all the nutrients that they require.
a regular diet and feed is better than a mixed one give it shot and see if your problem goes away.
Best of luck.
Dollar and Bramble :lol:                    
dollar

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Blocked Anal Gland
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2004, 10:39:31 AM »
I would try your spaniel on the all inclusive diet and persivere with it.Its hard at first but this food has all the nutrients that they require.a regular diet and feed is better than a mixed one give it shot and see if your problem goes away.
Best of luck.
Dollar and Bramble :lol:

Not necessarily Dollar - all in one complete foods suit some dogs & not others & many owners find feeding a more varied, natural diet results in a healthier dog. The complete foods do contain all the required nutrients but often they contain additives like artificial colourings & preservatives which aren't so good :wink:                    
Jane

scoobie

Blocked Anal Gland
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2004, 01:45:27 PM »
Hi I totally agree with you jane, I have fed scoobie on complete dog food and he was never satisfied and always had ear infections since changing over to raw 6 months ago I have never looked back but like you say it's
what suits your dog and what makes him/her healthy and content
bye for now Edith and scoobie                    

Offline Lindaphills

• Site Member
Blocked Anal Gland
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2004, 07:30:44 PM »
Hi Edith,
I also feed Jess a raw diet as she had colitis as a puppy :(  Since changing her over ive had no probs at all and every meal is scoffed down with real enthusiasm and enjoyment :lol:  :lol:

Nice to meet another raw cocker feeder :lol:  :lol:

Linda and Jess                    
   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Blocked Anal Gland
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2004, 08:14:24 PM »
Right, I'm getting some tomorrow. I have a Safeways here, chicken wings, raw, give the whole thing?
Indie would love it I think.                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)