Author Topic: The Right Food  (Read 921 times)

Offline alan&ness

• Site Member
    • http://
The Right Food
« on: January 27, 2005, 08:14:57 PM »
:ph34r: We have had Monty now 3 weeks,He has settled in just brilliant, We have made some minor changes ie Food, Monty was being fed with minced meat and no extras, we felt this was not good , there were no vitamins ect, so we changed his food to a complete moist food with all the vits and bits ect , he loves it, When we first got monty his motions were soft and light coloured, we thought changing his food might just improve this, but it has,nt, should we introduce a mixer.
Have you any ideas. :D  
ALAN NESS&MONTY

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
The Right Food
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2005, 11:40:21 PM »
Minced beef on its own is certainly not a balanced diet for any dog so you did right to change but the only complete moist food I would recommend is Naturediet - this is completely balanced but has none of the nasty artificial additives found in supermarket brands & is often recommended for dogs with sensitive tummies. It might be worth you considering a gradual change to this food or perhaps a complete dry food such as Burns, also recommended for dogs with digestive problems. Has Monty been wormed recently by the way? It could be that he needs worming & this is contributing to his soft motions. I would mention this to your vet when you take him for his check up anyway, just in case.

Jane
Jane

Offline Curtisio

• Site Member
The Right Food
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2005, 09:11:19 AM »
I'm not vet, so take this with a handful of salt.

Kyro  our 8 month cocker, and also My SIL's GSD when he was younger. has/have to occasional soft no 2. In fact Bono (GSD) has a lot of V Soft no 2's. As Kyro is getting older, and now Bono is nearly 18 mths. They are both firming up nicely.

Obviously if either of their motions as really soft, they are fasted and/or checked over.  But i think it takes time for them to get used to their diets, treat chews etc.

As long as they are not too bad for too long, I believe their bodies are just settling down. Imagine how small kids are sick a fair bit, just getting used to life.

If I am miles out, then you have my permission to shoot me down in flames. :unsure:  
Paul - Kyro - Daisy & Cookie (cats)

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
The Right Food
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2005, 11:08:23 AM »
I would agree the odd soft poo is nothing to worry about in a puppy but if a mature adult dog has had soft poos for 3 weeks like Monty, then I'd be inclined to think there is something wrong with his diet - something in it isn't suiting him. Persistent soft poos are a sign of poor digestion & might also result in blocked anal glands (firm poos help empty the glands)

Jane
Jane

Offline alan&ness

• Site Member
    • http://
The Right Food
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2005, 11:36:29 AM »
:D Thanks for the advice, Monty didnt like dryed food, he took to the moist food instantly, Ithink you are right, it,s finding the right one without confusing him,
Thank you again.
ALAN NESS&MONTY