Author Topic: holidays  (Read 857 times)

Offline sweeps mum

• Site Member
    • http://
holidays
« on: April 23, 2004, 02:55:55 PM »
Do any of you cocker owners have to use kennels when you go on holiday?
If so, did you hear of them from other people or via yellow pages? Do you find your dogs cope ok? Is it best to get them used to it gradually by letting them spend perhaps a weekend there before leaving them for a whole week? We have a holiday booked to Austria in August - our dog will be about six months then. Should we try leaving him for a weekend before this?                    

Offline markjcage

• Site Member
holidays
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2004, 03:38:28 PM »
We have the same problem.
We are going abroad for a week with my parents, who usually dog-sit.

Maybe we should create a Cockers Dogsitting Page.
We can have your dog, if you'll have ours!                    

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
holidays
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2004, 08:27:48 PM »
i am struggling with this also, as per my post for kennels. I have done some reasearch, and found a couple of local dog sitters who have your dog in their house, and look fter it home from home. I feel much happier with this, rather than her being in a kennel, esp being young. .  the cost seems to vary form £10.00 - £15.00 per night, which is a little more than kennels, which i am fine with.

I plan to book Jazz in for the odd night before we go, and maybe even a weekend, this is mainloy check that all parties  'fit' together. The ladies Ihave contacted seem very nice , so far.. and i am due to visit them soon. i have details of a good website regarding dog sitters i you want, please PM me.

Regards

Cathy                    
CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal

Offline tittyfaloo

• Site Member
holidays
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2004, 03:57:13 PM »
We recently had to place Maggie in kennels when our dog sitter was taken ill.
She was 5 months old and there for a week. We found them in yellow pages and they gave us a tour.
The cost was £39.00 for a week.
Maggie was fine the time she was there and the owners said that the younger the dog is the better as they find it easier to adapt to change.
Hope this helps.
Sam                    
* KEEP SMILING *

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
holidays
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2004, 09:37:03 PM »
i am struggling with this also, as per my post for kennels. I have done some reasearch, and found a couple of local dog sitters who have your dog in their house, and look fter it home from home. I feel much happier with this, rather than her being in a kennel, esp being young. .  the cost seems to vary form £10.00 - £15.00 per night, which is a little more than kennels, which i am fine with.  

Hi Cathy

I was reading a thread on another forum, about this very issue, and I thought of you and your dilemma :wink:   Heres a link to a site someone had put on, as recommended by their vet :)

http://www.pals4pets.marketingcontracts.co.uk/

Its worth investigating :wink:  HTH :D