Author Topic: unacceptable family member  (Read 1070 times)

Offline nettyo

• Site Member
unacceptable family member
« on: June 03, 2004, 11:44:24 AM »
I have had Oscar for two months now - he is a lovable, mainly good natured year old solid black.  I personally have no problems with him as he has accepted me as his pack leader.  However, my poor mother, who spends most of the day with him is obviously way down the pecking order.  If Mum approaches him when he is chewing a bone or toy, he will growl at her to warn her off.  The other night she tried to move a bone out of her way and he actually went for her and nipped her hand.  If she wants to move him out of the way, i.e. off the furniture he growls at her or if she walks into a room he runs ahead of her to try and hide his bone or toys.  He is only like that with her - has anyone else experienced this type of behaviour in a cocker, if so advice would be gratefully received as in every other aspect we all love him and want him to become a happy and contented memberof our family.

Nettyo                    

Offline lizzy

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2004, 12:15:26 PM »
Hello and welcome to COL!  :D

I can understand you being concerned over Oscar's behaviour, you mention that you've had him two months and that he's one year old now, where is he from? Did the previous owner mention his problem?

It seems like Oscar is testing the water with your Mum, you could try this, make him sit and wait for everything he needs and wants, food (especially) walks, toys, etc. Groom him daily,  get him used to being handled, don't let him on the furniture, make him stay at your feet.

What I did with my dogs to stop them growling over chew's was when they had one I would from day one approach them and stroke them and offer a small treat in return of them giving their chew and lots of praise, now there is no growling at all, I can take anything off them.

Please remember that 12 months is a difficult age, many dogs of this age push their owners and try it on with them, I'm sure there will be more experienced owners on COL that have had this problem will be more than willing to offer sound advice.

Good Luck

Lizzy Molly and Evie                    

Lizzy Molly and Evie

Offline nettyo

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2004, 12:59:35 PM »
hi
thanks for your advice - I will certainly give it a try.  I purchased Oscar privately.  He was bought as a puppy by a lady with 3 small children.  Apparently Oscar was fine with the little girls, however, it appeared that he used to snap at the little boy.  As children were involved, I assumed that they had been doing something to make Oscar snap at them and I didn't pursue the matter.  I had previously owned a golden cocker (Rosie) who I had rescued when she was two as she had a similar problem with kids.  From day one, Rosie settled into our home and we never had a minute of worry with her.  Unfortunately she developed kidney failure in March this year and had to be PTS.  I missed her so much, we all did, that I wanted another dog quite quickly.  Oscar seemed like the perfect solution so I hope we can smooth off his rough edges pretty quickly.  Thanks for your time and I will certainly take your advice                    

Offline lizzy

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2004, 01:39:27 PM »
Hello again,

I'm really sorry to hear about you losing Rosie, it sounds as if the home Oscar came from already had their hands full and maybe the boy has teased ( or  worse ) him, so maybe he's not been trained, he may have learned this behaviour as a form of defence.

The fact that you rescued Rosie and she turned out to be a lovely girl is a credit to you and I'm sure you can do the same with Oscar, I really hope it all works out for you and your family :D

Best wishes Lizzy Molly and Evie  :)                    

Lizzy Molly and Evie