Author Topic: wee'ing the floor  (Read 1672 times)

Offline Donzer

• Site Member
wee'ing the floor
« on: June 17, 2004, 05:10:16 PM »
Hi

I have a 9 month old pup who is fabby except she wees the kitchen floor instead of asking to get out.  Neither of the 2 dogs bark to get out.  The older dog (Molly) who is over a year old comes over to you and stares or gives a teeny yelp.    Amber however, will just go into the kitchen and wee :?   It isnt all the time, when we are in, but we do come downstairs to a wee every morning and come in from work to a wee.  Luckily it is easily wiped up in the kitchen so there aint no embarrasing stains on a carpet  :oops:

I have tried shouting at her.  Smacking her bum and shouting no and shoving her outside.  Nothing seems to be working with her.  Even when I am shouting at her telling her how bad she is, she just wags her tail and grabs the first toy to show me  :roll:

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get it through to her that my kitchen isnt the loo and the garden just isnt her playground  :roll:                    

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
wee'ing the floor
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2004, 05:17:02 PM »

I have tried shouting at her.  Smacking her bum and shouting no and shoving her outside.  Nothing seems to be working with her.  Even when I am shouting at her telling her how bad she is, she just wags her tail and grabs the first toy to show me  :roll:

I know it's frustrating - but don't shout at her or smack her for this - it's not her fault.  And as you've already seen - she clearly doesn't understand what's going on. :?

You need to train her to bark to get you to open the door. It doesn't come naturally to many dogs. Get her by the door then act really giddy and say in a high and jolly voice something like "want to go out?" and as soon as you get a reaction open the door and tell her good girl :D Really encourgae her to bark. It's praise you need to give - not punishment. Also whenever you see her wee or go outside praise her - still tell her good girl. Many ppl fall into the trap that once they've been outside you don't need to praise them - you do or they forget. I still praise my boys every time - and they're four and three! But then they are also rather dim :D

At 9 months she's still very young and accidents are still very likely.  :D                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Donzer

• Site Member
wee'ing the floor
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2004, 05:24:40 PM »
thanks for that Pammy - I have been doing the 'WOW you are a good girl' dafty thing when she does do right, but will keep doing that.  :D

I will try the bark thing.  She does 'speak' when you ask her to and is very vocal for everything else she needs, so will try that for the back door to.

I had been trying praise n stuff rather than punishment cause I really don't want to (or like) shouting at ma girls - even if she is daft enough not to know the difference :)

Thanks heaps though - will start the new regime tonight :D

Donna                    

Offline lizzy

• Site Member
    • http://
wee'ing the floor
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2004, 05:40:03 PM »
You could try giving her a tiny treat when she's been outside as well as overtop praise, she is still young and I would'nt at her age expect her to have to tell you when she needs a wee, you could try taking her outside every 50mins or so to perform.

Like Pammy said she's still a baby and should not be smacked under any circumstance, she won't know what your hitting her for if she's smacked after the event.

Lizzy Molly and Evie                    

Lizzy Molly and Evie

Offline Donzer

• Site Member
wee'ing the floor
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2004, 04:06:31 PM »
just for info guys I didnt smack her hard - just a semi hard pat on the bum.  I hate folk hitting animals - I just thought it might work in that she would get more of a shock  that I shouted an gave her a wee smack - I honestly dont go round beating up my wee dogs - just incase anyone thinks anything bad of me

I am a good owner - honest  :wink:                    

Offline lizzy

• Site Member
    • http://
wee'ing the floor
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2004, 04:13:09 PM »
just for info guys I didnt smack her hard - just a semi hard pat on the bum.  I hate folk hitting animals - I just thought it might work in that she would get more of a shock  that I shouted an gave her a wee smack - I honestly dont go round beating up my wee dogs - just incase anyone thinks anything bad of me

I am a good owner - honest  :wink:

I don't think bad of you Donzer :wink:

Lizzy Molly and Evie                    

Lizzy Molly and Evie

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
wee'ing the floor
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2004, 04:25:31 PM »
Neither do I, it's obvious you love your dog.

Shona :D                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline LindaW

• Site Member
    • http://www.shandardel-cockers.co.uk
wee'ing the floor
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2004, 08:05:36 PM »
I agree with Pammy really but would just like to mention that you might find a dog door helpful, especially as you have 2 dogs.  You will still need to train them to use it but at least it doesn't mean you've got act as the door person :lol:

Always remember that dogs can only learn by associating things that happen within a short space of time.  Good behaviour (weeing in the right place) should be rewarded as soon as it happens and bad behaviour ignored.

Good luck.   :D                    
Linda
xx
Jodie, Pippa, Daisy, Lolly, Gem, Tigger, Butty, Fanny and Coco!

Offline bunny

• Site Member
wee'ing the floor
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2004, 06:42:14 PM »
hi,
i like you have my first cocker, and he is a blue roan and 9months, he was toilet trained at a young age, and like you i just always opened the door or took him out, he has never asked to go to the loo. then all of a sudden he started peeing in the house, including on top of my bed.
i like you resorted to shouting or the slight tap on the bum, (not knowing any better) :oops: and to be honest you are a bit disapointed and annoyed, especially if the accident is on your bed.
Anyways, i purchased a bottle of "GET OFF" from pets at home, it has a citrus smell which is really nice, but the dogs don't think so, which is the good news. aswell as that i gave "markies", treats for puppies, everytime he wee'd, and its worked.
the "GET OF" spray is around £3.00, worth it at double the price, try it, its a miracle. when i first let elmo back in our room, he jamp up on our bed, sniffed and jamp of sneezing straight away, and we went to sleep with the lovely citrus scent on our sheets.
no worries ever since, let me know how you go, and hope this helps.
love bunny and elmo
xx                   woof woof                    

Offline PennyB

wee'ing the floor
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2004, 11:55:27 PM »
I agree with Pammy really but would just like to mention that you might find a dog door helpful, especially as you have 2 dogs.  You will still need to train them to use it but at least it doesn't mean you've got act as the door person :lol:

The cats taught my two how to use the catflap so I didn't need to (it was quite funny watching them try to use it as tiny little pups as their incentive was to chase the cats through it) LOL                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline bonnie and ben

• Site Member
wee'ing the floor
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2004, 02:02:17 PM »
I have 2 cockers and bonnie seems to widdle when I come in or she becomes excited - ben my dog tends to wee a bit more but I would not consider it a real issue..

i love to see both of them excited to see the family and as we have wooden flooring its easily cleaned

They do sometimes come into the living room but very rarely wee on the suite or the floor .....

It is only a minor spillage and they will no doubt grow out of it

Tom  :D  :D  :D  :D                    

Offline Georgie

• Site Member
wee'ing the floor
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2004, 02:46:43 PM »
Bailey used to be like Amber, but when he went outside he was praised and now he sits by our back door.                    
From Georgie and Bailey xxx

Offline Rusty

• Site Member
wee'ing the floor
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2004, 09:46:56 AM »
Hi,

Rusty is 13 weeks, so he's still very young. But fortunately (fingers crossed) he goes out no problem to do the toilet. Even during the night,  he holds until the morning to get let out. And then he immediately goes no problem.

The way we done it was not to shout, smack and I've even heard rub there noses in it. If we 'caught' him starting to pee, we would give a sharp NO, not a shout though. This sounds silly, but we would then run to the back door shout "come on", fortunately he'd follow and then tell him once outside to "hurry up". He has quickly learned that saying "hurry up" means poo and pee outside please and he will more or less do this every time on command. When peeing/pooing, keep saying "hurry up" and "good boy" in a happy tone. We also used to treat him at first, but praising him verbally does the trick on its own now.

Our back door is always open, except if its heavy rain, so when its closed we need to keep an eye open for signs of sniffing, so we get up and open the door for him. If its closed and he wants out, he will sit at the back door and whine. Open the door, give him a "hurry up" and plenty of "good boy" and he's away to do his business.

I would say though, we didn't say anything to him if we did't catch him actually doing the toilet, as he will have forgotten about the toilet and will be wondering why he's getting into bother.

Mick Elle & Rusty