Author Topic: Play Fighting  (Read 1650 times)

Offline Mo

• Site Member
Play Fighting
« on: July 16, 2004, 05:01:47 PM »
Hello

We have had our puppy now for a week and she's 10 weeks old.  She's absolutely gorgeous and loves lots of kisses and cuddles.  We also have a 1 year old boy who totally loves her and everytime he walks past her he can't resist but give her a great bit kiss. He is very gentle with her and even lets her pinch his food and treats.  They get on great but when they play, which is most of the time (apart from when she is asleep) she turns into a little devil and flys at him tugging on his ears, swinging her head to and thro and tries to nip the back of his legs.  He hasn't yelped and actually seems to enjoy all the rough and tumble but I was wondering if all this play fighting will teach her bad habits and become an unsociable dog when she goes out into the big wide world !!                    

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Play Fighting
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2004, 05:55:14 PM »
I had the same concerns about Misty a year ago as she had absolutely no respect for Jimmy at all and seemed a bit too over confident of herself, she used to lead him a merry dance. :lol: He eventually did put his foot down and give a snarl/snap at her, it only took a couple of times and she got the message.

It might be an idea to book your pup into puppy classes so she learns how to interact with dogs other than her "brother", she will soon learn there that she can't be a little bully.  :lol: I actually found that Misty wasn't too interested in playfighting at the puppy classes, she could do that at home so preferred to be sniffing about instead.

In Misty's case I think coming to a home where there was already an older dog gave her a real advantage, she learnt a lot from her dealings with Jimmy. Whereas he seems to sometimes misjudge situations with other dogs, she is an expert in doggie ettiquette. She's not a submissive dog , but seems to have a sixth sense when a submissive gesture to a strange dog will be to her advantage. I think the playfighting has taught her to be a smart cookie, hopefully the same will apply to your new pup. :D                    

Offline s baxter

• Site Member
    • http://
Play Fighting
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2004, 05:59:15 PM »
other members correct me if i`m wrong but i think rough plays a big NO NO other more experience members will be along to give you more advice i`m sure.my 3 yr old (daughter)plays with my pup well ,but as soon as Alfie (the puppy) starts tugging on clothes and nipping she`s told she can`t play with him till he`s calmed down,use your puppy as an example for your 1 yr old .as it`s not nice to nip or pull people clothes and the pup is not to be rewarded with more play ,just the opposite(ignore the pup and stop all attention giving to him/her).hope that helps :lol:

edited to say not sure if you mean 1 yr old human or dog? :lol:                    
sue baxter and Alfie

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Play Fighting
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2004, 06:12:58 PM »
I'm sure Mo is talking about another dog not a child, at least I hope she is :wink:

Jane                    
Jane

Offline lizzy

• Site Member
Play Fighting
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2004, 06:13:10 PM »
Hi Mo,

What your little pup is doing is perfectly normal behaviour, if you think about she has just left her littermates with whom she would have played games like that with, nipping ,pulling, growling.

Now you are her new family and she needs to know that these games are not to get out of hand. I would be very careful not to let your one year old play fight with her because very soon she will be a big puppy and will want to get the bettter of him.

It could lead to him getting hurt, as soon as she starts to nip or growl, stop playing ,walk away and ignore her, may be you could play a game of ball when she has calmed down, I've found puppies to be quick at learning that nipping and growling and just not allowed, as long as you are consistant! :wink:

Play fighting is a normal part of puppy development and will not have an effect on whether she is unsociable or not, but what does have an effect is how many good experiences she has in her early life, she needs to meet lots of different people of all ages and friendly dogs , all sorts of situations that she will come across during her life, this will help her to become a well adjusted friendly dog.

Lizzy Molly and Evie                    

Lizzy Molly and Evie

Offline PennyB

Play Fighting
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2004, 06:17:13 PM »
I think its another dog LOL

I supervised all contact with my 2 when Wilf was tiny and when I wasn't in the room Wilf went in the crate just to be safe. Safety is the main thing here as when they get older this play fighting thing is often just that and it can sound like they are killing each other but its often fine.

As long as your pup isn't biting you then that's fine.

Your dog will tell the pup if they don't like it. Sometimes though if your dog does start to show signs of having enough and trying to get away from the pup then distract them and may be quietly settle the pup in their crate for a short while with a chew or something.

Ruby occasionally would make Wilf yelp when he was tiny but I did let them get on with it as I knew he wasn't being hurt and this was Ruby showing him that she was boss and he had to toe the line. Sounds awful I know but there was no damage done and they are both well balanced dogs who get on really well together (Ruby's now 2 and Wilf is 1).                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline lizzy

• Site Member
Play Fighting
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2004, 06:38:41 PM »
:lol:  :lol: My brain is not in gear today!!LOL  ( what an idiot  :roll: )

Lizzy Molly and Evie                    

Lizzy Molly and Evie

Offline Sheila

• Site Member
Play Fighting
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2004, 07:16:06 PM »
Lottie tries the biting on with Goldie quite a lot.
She particularly nips at her tail :shock:

Goldie is a very laid back dog, but she does growl and snarl to let her know when enough is enough. Goldie hasn't nipped Lottie back yet, although I think that would probably do the trick to cure her.

I would just keep an eye on things and if your older dog seems to need a break, then intervene and give them some time out from each other. Dogs usually sort these type of things out for themselves fairly well. If the biting extends to you, then ignore the pup or use time out. They need to learn early on that biting people etc is definitely out.                    

Offline TOPAZ BILLY

• Site Member
  • De Girls!
Play Fighting
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2004, 09:57:07 PM »
Our house could put the World Wrestling Federation to shame :shock: Billy (4) and Abby 13 weeks, play very rough with lots of growling and yapping, the only thing we do is keep and eye on the body language of each dog! Billy's posture changes when he has had enough and his tail stops wagging and his ears drop (not sure this make sense) also when Abby gets to excited her lips curl and her tail goes stiff :shock: we then give them time out either we distract them or if Abby is particularly OTT she has a time out in the bathroom (safe but not her crate) and only for a couple of minutes.

It is really hard to watch but as long as it doesn't get out of hand it is best to let them get on with it.

Michelle                    

Offline Mo

• Site Member
Play Fighting
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2004, 09:29:59 AM »
Thank you for all your advice and reassurances.  Sorry I haven't replied sooner but we've been off line due to Phoebe, the little devil, chewing her way through the BT cable !!

I will be keeping a close eye on Joey (our 1 yr old cocker) and Phoebe (our 10 week old cocker) during their play fighting and will only intervene when I think things are getting a bit too rough.  I have been distracting them with their toys.  This does make me laugh because they always want the toy that the other one's got and then they end up chasing each other around the room :)

Thanks again

Mo.                    

Offline Mo

• Site Member
Play Fighting
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2004, 09:30:40 AM »
Thank you for all your advice and reassurances.  Sorry I haven't replied sooner but we've been off line due to Phoebe, the little devil, chewing her way through the BT cable !!

I will be keeping a close eye on Joey (our 1 yr old cocker) and Phoebe (our 10 week old cocker) during their play fighting and will only intervene when I think things are getting a bit too rough.  I have been distracting them with their toys.  This does make me laugh because they always want the toy that the other one's got and then they end up chasing each other around the room :)

Thanks again

Mo.                    

Offline Mo

• Site Member
Play Fighting
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2004, 09:36:21 AM »
Oooopps - don't know what happened there ! I seem to have posted the same thing twice.  I'm not very good at all this technology stuff and would you believe it, I work in the IT Dept at work !!!!!                    

Offline taniac

• Site Member
Play Fighting
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2004, 04:42:06 PM »
I have to say glad we are talking about 2 dogs, can't imagine how a 1 yr old child would react to having his ears chewed!!!

We have exactly the same in our house with our 2 dogs, 2 year's old and 5 months.  I feel the same as you that Neo is too soft on Jovi, because I'm sure that Neo would like to be lying quietly and Jovi is always hanging off one of his ears, hock, chest feathers  :lol:

Neo puts up with it but if the puppy bites hard he yelps and walks away.  If the play gets to loud and aggressive we break it up, so we can hear the telly (always seems to be during Enders).  I do think that Jovi is going to be the dominant dog, but we'll see.. I'm waiting for the point that Jovi matures enough for Neo not to treat him as a puppy but puts him in his place (but not sure it's going to happen).

Jovi guards food against Neo, growls if he comes near him, although he doesn't do that with us and I make sure I do alot of removing food, swapping for something else, or giving something better.

I guess it's just a case of wait and see, but any advice gratefully received (both boys still have their bits, so worst comes to the worst, someone will be up for the snip)!

PS Don't know if it's true but I heard that bitches do tend to be the dominant dog out of a dog/bitch partnership.. but that might just be the usual myth.                    
Tania
(Neo and Jovi's Mum)

Offline gc

• Site Member
Play Fighting
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2004, 11:22:00 AM »
When the time comes she will be taught how to behave. The boy now knows that she is a puppy. It'll be a good idea though, to pay extra attention as she grows up and split them up if you have to, well, if you'll be fast enough, because the older dog will fast teach her manners, at a glance of an eye...
Also be sure to listen to you and stop all activities at your command. It wouldn't be good to get a sore throat because they are fighting, telling them to stop, even more, to put your hand in between and be accidentally biten!

taniac
PS Don't know if it's true but I heard that bitches do tend to be the dominant dog out of a dog/bitch partnership.. but that might just be the usual myth.

I've also heard this... but I don't know if it's true.                    
George.
The truth is out there..... and a cocker can easily find it ;-)