Author Topic: Excessive biting  (Read 3004 times)

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Excessive biting
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2004, 11:25:58 AM »
Mick - your latest post sounds much more positive and realistic.

A bit if milk is OK - just watch it doesn't upset his tum. Some pups tums don't like cows milk!

I'm really glad you've got the book - it really is so helpful - even if you read it while Rusty's in the sin bin :lol:

Thanks for clarifying about the routine thing.

I think the main thing you're possibly doing wrong - is giving him too much attention - easily done - they are adoreable - but I do think if you can be strong - there is a light at the end of your tunnel.
 :)                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline PennyB

Excessive biting
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2004, 11:36:35 AM »
Glad you can see through all trauma/tears of puppy rearing. I found the mantra helped 'I will not kill my puppy I will not kill my puppy' (only joking if anyone thinks I ever thought that about my 2 but it does pay to have a sense of humour).

I think whether you were brought up with a dog or not your 1st pup as an adult is quite scary/trying.

Some cockers are a dream to own and don't really put a foot wrong. Yet others are reknown for their unpredictability (I don't mean aggression here just generally) in the sense that they will always keep you on their toes in training. I found these wonderful statements about cockers somewhere else:

"You and your cousins around the UK are easily the most humorous dogs I have ever encountered. Clever beyond belief with an uncanny ability to do whatever you want whenever you want and make it seem like that is what I wanted you to do all along.

I was once told by the gundog trainer who I used to work for (and who happens to have made up more Field Trial Champion Cocker Spaniels than anyone else in living history) that 'the key to training a cocker is to convince him that what you are actually asking him to do was his idea all along and you are mereley confirming what a clever little fella he is for thinking of it. the moment you let slip the fact that he is only doing what you wanted him to do, guaranteed he will pack it in and think of something better to spend his time on'.

I love your breed but the battle of wits can often be exhausting unless you see the funny side of life."

and this from the masterclass video on training working cockers (where I know some of us with show type cockers will relate to some of it though):

"The Cocker Spaniel as a breed is so unpredictable, a genie, a will o' the wisp, difficult to pin down to reality, but such a rewarding little person. Just as you are feeling exasperated with some aspect of their work they will do something remarkable that will leave you smiling and shaking your head in amazement. The Cocker, more than any other spaniel, has the ability and character to lift your spirits. Pound for pound they are more tenacious than others"

Keep up with the stop-start. Do you just do it when you are on your way for a walk to the park or whatever. I would take mine out for 5 min or so in the street and then practise. Or take one of them out and play with them a little to get rid of some energy and then do a little training then a little play and then a little training. I did find though with all training of both my dogs that when they were little it took a long time and it has to be in short bursts as they have such short concentration spans and so 20 may be too long at this stage without a break to do something else as he's only 13 weeks.

When I took Wilf to his puppy classes he would fall asleep during the 2nd half. Ruby on the other hand would get bored halfway through hers and then get up to mischief and show me upLOL                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline lizzy

• Site Member
    • http://
Excessive biting
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2004, 12:07:21 PM »
There has been a lot of very good help offered regarding your " biting " problems that you are experiencing so I won't add any more about that ! :wink:

It sounds like this little boy is very scared when he's going out for a walk and this is why he is choking and screaming, he's frightened.

Some puppies are confident and want to meet everybody and see the world, others need a much more careful approach.

I would'nt be taking him out for half an hour if it distresses him that much, maybe build it up from 5mins in the morning and the same in the afternoon taking him to quiet places where he can meet people at his own pace and gradually build it up. Try not to force him if he's not happy.

My youngest Evie (6 months ) was very scared at first and would not move at all, I had to coax her with treats, it took quite a while before she grew in confidence and even now she isn't brimming with it! :lol:

I'm sure Rusty will be fine in a few months , sometimes it just takes a little longer with some dogs :wink:

Lizzy Molly and Evie                    

Lizzy Molly and Evie

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Excessive biting
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2004, 12:24:11 PM »
Penny, these quotes are great!!!  :lol:

This one, however, has been stolen  :o from me and the word 'Eric' has been substituted with 'a cocker'    :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  

'the key to training a cocker is to convince him that what you are actually asking him to do was his idea all along and you are mereley confirming what a clever little fella he is for thinking of it. the moment you let slip the fact that he is only doing what you wanted him to do, guaranteed he will pack it in and think of something better to spend his time on'.                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Excessive biting
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2004, 12:32:02 PM »
I personally feel very let down by our 'breeder'. He 'promised' to send us photos when the litter was a few days old right up to when we took him home - nothing. He made up some cock and bull story about the KC details and how they had been filled in wrong so he would have to resend them - we fell for that one!  Best bit about it, I'm quite a scrupolous person and had it been a car, I would have ran a mile!!! Why didn't I see it?  :oops:  His tail hadn't even been docked properly! Can I name and shame, or is that not the done thing? Anyway, we chose him and we love him, so its all water under the bridge.  

Unscrupulous breeders/dealers can be very convincing I'm afraid. Probably best not to name & shame on a public board but please could you PM me privately with the details? Unfortunately there are some dealers operating in Ayrshire bringing in puppies as a job lot from Ireland so is it possible that Rusty came from a dealer as opposed to a breeder?(such people do sometimes pretend they are the breeders). As you say, it is water under the bridge now, although if you were promised KC registration, you may be able to pursue this either privately or with the help of Trading Standards.

Jane                    
Jane

Offline taniac

• Site Member
Excessive biting
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2004, 01:07:41 PM »
Just to let you know Jovi's been exactly the same with the constant biting, and although Neo chewed loads he wasn't a hand, nose, hair, (etc) biter!!!

If I feel his teeth on me I shout 'Ouch' and then ignore him, although I haven't been putting him out of the room.  Again like Rusty he's quite vocal and a growler, but I saw him from 1 week old and saw the dams temperment and so know that he wasn't badly bred.

Jovi is now 5 months, most of his teeth are now adult, he still bites but not so much and his growling at all and sundry (got quite upset when it was at me  :( ) has reduced to almost never.  He still occasionally curls his lip when I tell him off!!!  Although I was worried at first about the growling, I soon came to realise he was just a different type of puppy to my Neo, and he is a bit more fearful.  You could get a puppy kong and put fill it with salt-free stock and then freeze it he might appreciate the cold.  Lots of cardboard especially boxes would also be great for chewing.

I think it's great to be able to pick a puppy up and cuddle but I haven't really done this with Jovi because of the biting.  I pet him when he's on the floor but stop if he tries to bite me.  It won't be a bad thing for him not to be picked up and cuddled, he'll get to know his place is on the ground, and it keeps him lower in the peeking order.. I know we all have different rules for letting dogs on furniture etc, but if you have a dominant dog and kids it might be best for him to remain off the furniture, not be allowed upstairs etc, so he's never in a superior position to the children.

It's still early days yet, Jovi is growing out of biting and I'm sure your Rusty will too.                    
Tania
(Neo and Jovi's Mum)

Offline PennyB

Excessive biting
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2004, 01:27:30 PM »

This one, however, has been stolen  :o from me and the word 'Eric' has been substituted with 'a cocker'    :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  

'the key to training a cocker is to convince him that what you are actually asking him to do was his idea all along and you are mereley confirming what a clever little fella he is for thinking of it. the moment you let slip the fact that he is only doing what you wanted him to do, guaranteed he will pack it in and think of something better to spend his time on'.

and Eric being your OH maybe!                    
Friends of Hailey Park

Offline PennyB

Excessive biting
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2004, 01:59:48 PM »
Sorry can't resist this one:

Friends of Hailey Park

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
Excessive biting
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2004, 04:20:23 PM »

He hee heee, LOL @ Penny  :lol:                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline lizzy

• Site Member
    • http://
Excessive biting
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2004, 04:45:49 PM »

That's cute Penny! :wink:

Lizzy Molly and Evie                    

Lizzy Molly and Evie

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Excessive biting
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2004, 11:51:05 PM »

and Eric being your OH maybe!

Yeah!  :lol:                    

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Excessive biting
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2004, 11:53:12 PM »

That is a good one..............so it's true about those gold dogs!!!  :lol:   :lol:   :lol:                    

Offline Rusty

• Site Member
Excessive biting
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2004, 09:13:43 AM »

THATS IT!!!!  :D  :D  :D  Specifically for Rusty!