Author Topic: Seperation Anxiety  (Read 1053 times)

Offline fudgesmammy

• Site Member
    • http://
Seperation Anxiety
« on: July 20, 2004, 10:24:18 PM »
Hi
Our next door neighbour has just been round, he's the vet so he came to give Fudge her kennel cough thing, and he showed me our back gate which she has been taking big lumps out of!  :shock:
She has been crying in the night and he says she's been going a bit schizo during the day when we're out. We both work full time and have done for a year- she's only 18 months old so she's spent more than half her life with this routine.
The vet suggested it might be seperation anxiety- I can see where he's coming from. But what can we do? I never planned on being out all day but we can't afford for me not to be at work. We have a lodger coming to stay come october, she's bringing her dog who gets on really well with fudge so that should help. But what can I do in the mean time?
Please help!                    
Eilidh, Fudge and Harry

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Seperation Anxiety
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2004, 10:42:55 PM »
Can you pop back at all during the day? Can anyone else pop in? If not, there are companies who provide a 'pets at home' service...and it would only be for a little while (until Oct, I guess).

A friend who was in a similar position found that taking her B Collie out for a good run of at least an hour every morning before she left for work helped - and she was fitter than she'd ever been  :wink:                    
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Seperation Anxiety
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2004, 07:55:55 AM »
How long is Fudge being left for? It could be that it is just too long and getting someone to go in or taking a good walk before leaving could help.                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline PennyB

Seperation Anxiety
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2004, 10:01:11 AM »
Yes I'd agree a good walk before you go out and then get someone in during the day for another walk. Your dog may need more exercise/stimulation than you're giving him at present. Have you also tried giving him a kong to help whil away the hours.

Even if your lodger is bringing another dog they will both need someone to come in and at least let them out during the day and hopefully for a walk. Two bored dogs can do a lot of damage together and BC unless they are quite old need lots of exercise and stimulation that another dog may not be able to provide either.

So getting another dog may not solve your present problem.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline fudgesmammy

• Site Member
    • http://
Seperation Anxiety
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2004, 05:23:19 PM »
She is left for nearly 9 hours. I know this is horrific- it was never meant to be this way but work is work and if theres no money then theres no dog food!
We're going to try taking her for a big walk in the mornings, my lodger will be a student so she'll be home lots more than we are and the dogs have access to the garden all day.
Thje vet suggested DAP. Any comments??
We did used to have a girl who walked fudge during the day but she hit 15 and stopped cos fudge isn't cool. Its sad but she's a teenager- its her life!
I asked the neighbours- who are teachers- if they'd maybe pop over the fence to see her somedays seeing as they're on holiday, they said thyed try.                    
Eilidh, Fudge and Harry

Offline PennyB

Seperation Anxiety
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2004, 05:27:00 PM »
Are there any dog walkers at all in your area. Here its becoming quite a business and you can't walk without tripping over one of them. Most of them tend to advertise through the vets practice or you could advertise for one.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Seperation Anxiety
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2004, 09:54:10 PM »
9 hours every day is just too long - but I know this was not by design, these things happen. I don't see how a DAP diffuser will help. The problem is the lengthe of time Fudge is being left :? .

I think you need to seriously look at a long term stable solution for this though. You can't rely on neighbours and lodgers and the such. They do have their lives to lead and you risk spoiling what are currently good relationships by them feeling obliged to help out and upset when either side says no!

It would be worthwhile looking for a daily dog walker - they are springing up all over now to help people in the situations such as the one you find yourselves in. It's a commercial arrangement so no favours are being given etc - so there is no risk of any bad feeling developing. An alternative is doggy day care. Some kennels now do day care packages. Perhaps a split with that for a couple of days a week might help ease the burden and responsibility - but the best thing for Fudge would be a clear routine, otherwise her seperation anxiety will only get worse.
 :cry:
You have no easy answer to this one sadly. I hope you do find something that works out for you all.                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional