Author Topic: Cockers And Children  (Read 5170 times)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Cockers And Children
« on: September 10, 2005, 02:01:53 PM »
I have noticed that there are currently a number of COL'ers who have puppies/young dogs and children - and no doubt, like I was , you are concerned about how the relationship between them will develop as pup grows up.

I thought I'd share this piccie with you all, as it might help!

Big picture of the same

As you can see; they are both fiercely protective of their possessions  :lol:
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Petra

• Site Member
  • yippee, water!!
Cockers And Children
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2005, 03:17:50 PM »
That is a lovely picture Rachel - thanks for that!!  Looks like your little girl and Molo are the best of friends!!

My little girl Emily (2y9m) and Dillon have a love-hate relationship in that one minute they are snuggled up together, the next he has snatched one of her toys and she is hysterical!!!  Dillon knows that as Emily is the youngest she is an easy target!!  Prime example; we were all sitting on the patio earlier today eating lunch, and suddenly Dillon jumps up at Emily and snatches her sandwich out of her hand! :o !  He would not have attempted that with my OH or me, nor with Oliver (6)

Dillon likes jumping up at Emily and hanging on to the bottom of her clothes - he also does this to us and Oliver, but not as much.....   On the other hand though, his favourite game is digging in the sandpit with Emily, and his favourite place to sleep is on the rug in front of Emily's bed..... :)  I think they will end up being the best of pals, once they have both grown up a bit... ;)

Petra

Offline Joelf

• Site Member
Cockers And Children
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2005, 03:21:51 PM »
What a lovely photo Rachel. :)  :)
Jo, Domino (cocker) & Spike (black lab.)

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
Cockers And Children
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2005, 03:25:10 PM »
Fantastic piccy.  Bailey would be exactly the same  :)   He is chomping on a bone right now!  :)
Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
Cockers And Children
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2005, 03:25:22 PM »
Beautiful picture!  I agree all my cockers are great with my children, never had a grumble from any of them!

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Cockers And Children
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2005, 03:48:02 PM »
Lovely picture Rachel  ;)
Same here, Buttons loves the kids  :D

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
Cockers And Children
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2005, 04:01:48 PM »
Great piccie Rachel  :D
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline Annette

• Site Member
Cockers And Children
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2005, 05:04:41 PM »
That's a lovely piccie Rachel.

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Cockers And Children
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2005, 05:31:18 PM »
:) Aww brill piccie!  Indie is the same, she loves the kids, follows them everywhere, they all have a mutual respect for one another, my girls have been taught how to act around dogs and animals and Indie has had to live by our rules not her own, which I think contributes to happy kids and a happy dog :D

Offline Georgie

• Site Member
Cockers And Children
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2005, 05:57:49 PM »
That's a great picture, will really help some people as lots of people are quite concerned about cockers and children
From Georgie and Bailey xxx

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Cockers And Children
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2005, 06:07:35 PM »
:) Aww brill piccie!  Indie is the same, she loves the kids, follows them everywhere, they all have a mutual respect for one another, my girls have been taught how to act around dogs and animals and Indie has had to live by our rules not her own, which I think contributes to happy kids and a happy dog :D
[snapback]145118[/snapback]

Its great to see them together, isn't it Emma? Obviously, we've not had the child/dog combination before, and I am delighted at how wonderful they are together  :)

Just a few weeks ago, Molo would have been trying to 'pinch' the toys from my daughter, but we have persevered, and as long as he has a distraction, they can play like this for ages now :D
Oldies Club

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Cockers And Children
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2005, 07:09:09 PM »
Great photo :D

Mine all love kids too. I've no idea where they get it from - not me that's for sure ;)  :lol:
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

jools

Cockers And Children
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2005, 10:49:20 PM »
What a fab picture! I loved the title  :D

Bramble (now 8 months old) loves my 2 year old son ....and he loves her. It's fantastic to see them together. This morning she had him pinned against the wall, paws on his shoulders giving his ears a good clean. His favourite is making a bed for Bramble. Brammie obliges by lying there with her head on a pillow while he reads her a bedtime story.

I have to say that I do not trust Miss Millie to be alone with the kids. When we're there, she is fantastic with them, and she allows them to do things she would never let me do. However, Mills is unpredictable, and she has a history of guarding aggression. We just would not put her in the position where she might snap. We love her too much, warts and all, to risk things getting out of hand.

If I'm honest, I don't think I'd trust ANY dog with a bone to be that close to a child. I suppose I've read too much of the "he'd never bitten anyone before he attacked the child" type story. I think that, even people who have known their dogs really well have been surprised by their behaviour at times.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Cockers And Children
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2005, 11:11:45 PM »
If I'm honest, I don't think I'd trust ANY dog with a bone to be that close to a child. I suppose I've read too much of the "he'd never bitten anyone before he attacked the child" type story. I think that, even people who have known their dogs really well have been surprised by their behaviour at times.
[snapback]145178[/snapback]

I am sure you are not the only person who has thought that jools; I expected to get this kind of feedback as well.

I am confident that Molo would have given a warning growl had he felt threatened prior to snapping/attacking; at which point I would have intervened immediately. I do appreciate that not everyone will agree with me though; some may even think it is extremely irresponsible of me to put my daughter, and Molo, at risk in this way  :huh:

As it was, if she inconvenienced him by leaning on him too hard, he dragged the bone across the floor and wriggled a few inches away from her - he is far to lazy to actually get on his feet  :lol:
Oldies Club

Offline CarolineandWill

• Site Member
    • http://
Cockers And Children
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2005, 11:38:18 AM »

I have to say that I do not trust Miss Millie to be alone with the kids.

Thats a worry  :(

Molly, although only 5 months is trusted 100%, I also trust my parents 18 month old springer 100% with the kids too.  Surely if your apprehensive the dog has got to go  :(

How can you trust her off a lead?

You should be able to trust your dog.

Just my humble opinion  :)
Never be afraid to try something new, after all, a lone amateur built the Ark, a team of experts built the Titanic.[/size]