Author Topic: Cockers And Children  (Read 5175 times)

jools

Cockers And Children
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2005, 08:17:11 AM »
We to, could have opted to get a rescue dog, however after much evaluating, we decided that having children in the house we wanted a puppy who had already been socialized with children, and chose a breed renowned for being excellent with young children, therefore ensuring peace of mind and lowering the risk of conflict between kids and pup.

I use the term "rescue" because we rescued a puppy from awful conditions. Millie was only 8-10 weeks old when we got her. She came from a puppy farm. We did not know this at the time, it did not have PUPPY FARM written outside, it was just a house, not uncommon.

Your dog will be around for many years, and I hope that given time you will learn to trust your dog and children together as it is a match made in heaven  :D

My kids are around my dogs ALL the time. They play together from morning until night. If I have to leave the room, I take either dogs or child with me. I do not do this as much if it's just my 11 year old with the dogs. She has had a huge part in training the dogs.

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Cockers And Children
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2005, 08:28:15 AM »
Buttons gets left with my children all the time  :) When she was a puppy I used to put her in the playpen if I went out of the room but that was only for the first few months.

If anything happened to my kids it would be my responsibility  ;) I couldn't imagine going out of the room and not being able to leave her with them  :huh: They adore her as much as I do and they have been brought up to love and respect animals.
Buttons is a part of this family 110%, my oldest daughter calls her "my sister"  :blink:

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
Cockers And Children
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2005, 09:20:02 AM »
Got to agree with you Gilly  ;)  my children have been brought up with dogs, and have been taught to respect and care for them, from a very early age.
Ive never had a problem leaving them alone together, apart from when they were toddlers, just in case a toy was flung  or food was involved  :rolleyes:

Having said that!! if any of them had a suspect temperament then i definatly wouldn't have left them alone together.

We had our GSD before the children came along, he was a big softie  :wub:  when i came home with my first born, i gave the baby to my MIl next door and went in to see him first on my own. My hubby then carried the baby in to see him, he had a few sniffs, a lick oh his hand, and that was it! he loved my son from day one, and they were the best friends ever  :D
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Cockers And Children
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2005, 10:04:57 AM »
Buttons gets left with my children all the time  :) When she was a puppy I used to put her in the playpen if I went out of the room but that was only for the first few months.

If anything happened to my kids it would be my responsibility  ;) I couldn't imagine going out of the room and not being able to leave her with them  :huh: They adore her as much as I do and they have been brought up to love and respect animals.
Buttons is a part of this family 110%, my oldest daughter calls her "my sister"  :blink:
[snapback]145669[/snapback]

I agree Gilly and I leave mine alone with Indie all the time too,I do trust her 100% with them as I trust my children 100% with Indie, the only thing I won't do, is leave her alone with other peoples kids, not because I don't trust her, but because I don't trust them.

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Cockers And Children
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2005, 10:13:17 AM »
Well I dont have kids, but I think I'd agree with Gilly too  :D Obviously depending on the dog and children in question, but if I felt I could, then i would be happy to leave them alone in a room together while I busied myself with other things (though I'd never leave them alone unattended in the house together, of course). And I can understand the earlier comment too, about '110%' - I never really understand why anyone uses a term like that, isn't 100% enough?  :D  :P

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
Cockers And Children
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2005, 10:15:06 AM »
We had a dog before our first child was born and we did the same Barb  ;) he accepted her from day one and although he was 7 and had never been brought up with kids I trusted him 110%.
I did put him upstairs when friends kids came visiting for his sanity ;)  as these non-doggy kids had no idea how to interact with a dog  :huh:

I do think it depends on the dogs personality. Buttons has been wonderful, even with her babies from day 1, although the girls were not allowed to touch them  ;)
Now the puppies are bigger the girls are getting more involved, helping with feeding/cleaning etc  :)

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Cockers And Children
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2005, 10:22:42 AM »
Now the puppies are bigger the girls are getting more involved, helping with feeding/cleaning etc  :)
[snapback]145688[/snapback]

I think thats great Gilly, as its also getting the pups used to little people and will help  make them into very well balanced little dogs :D   I sometimes feel a lack of trust and lack of interaction with children and dogs from an early age can cause issues.  I feel very lucky to have well bahaved kids and a well behaved dog :D

Offline Em - Oscar's mum

• Site Member
    • http://
Cockers And Children
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2005, 10:27:18 AM »
Well I discovered a few weeks ago now that I am pregnant with my first child but obviously kept it quiet for a few weeks for obvious reasons and I believe that when the baby is born Oscar will be wonderful with him/her.  He just has that sort of temperment, (sorry about the spelling) and knowing him will become protective of the baby very quickly.

Although I think my hands are going to be full.......

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
Cockers And Children
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2005, 10:32:14 AM »
Awww congratulations Em!!  :D
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Cockers And Children
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2005, 10:34:07 AM »
Congratulations Em!  

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Cockers And Children
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2005, 10:44:02 AM »
Congratulations Em - another COL baby! - and I'm sure you're absolutely right about Oscar :D

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
Cockers And Children
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2005, 10:48:58 AM »
Congratulations!!  :D  :D
Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

Offline CarolineandWill

• Site Member
Cockers And Children
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2005, 11:27:25 AM »
Congratualtions   :D
Never be afraid to try something new, after all, a lone amateur built the Ark, a team of experts built the Titanic.[/size]

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
Cockers And Children
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2005, 11:52:28 AM »
Congratulations!!!

When I had my first baby I invested in one of those baby carrier's that strap on to your front as I found it much easier to walk the dog with one of those rather than trying to push a pram and control a lead ;) I'm sure Oscar will be fine  ;)

Offline Em - Oscar's mum

• Site Member
Cockers And Children
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2005, 12:20:29 PM »
Thanks everyone and thanks for the advice Gilly.  I think hubby was thinking about one of them anyway, it must be so much easier than a lead and a pram.