Author Topic: Help Or Rehome  (Read 6650 times)

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
Re: Help Or Rehome
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2006, 10:22:35 AM »
I'm sorry Tarina - but if you want to win with your cocker then you need to be much firmer. Food should be put down, left for 15 minutes then if not eaten taken away. Nothing should be given or offered until the next meal time - then the same again. Follow this and she will eat. Also stick to the food you want her to eat. If she's going to be given yummy stuff like scrambled egg and choccy for refusing her food then she will never eat her normal food.
hth

This is correct.  I personally would not worry about her not eating, she won't starve herself.  My Lottie (who lives for food ::)) recently went for almost 4 weeks hardly eating.  I knew there was nothing wrong with her as she still showed an interest in food, just not her own.  She was having a couple of mouthfuls a day, if that :-\  I stopped giving her doggie treats and would only give her carrot as a reward for other things.  She lost a little bit of weight (for the better :blink:) and now is back eating everything again, her bowl is licked clean everytime ;)  Just don't make a big dea out of her refuasl to eat, be very matter-of-fact about it and do as Pammy suggests ;) 
Mary & Lottie x

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2006, 11:40:31 AM »
Tarina

Have you ever done any formal/supervised training with your dog?  You may find that the techniques you're taught at classes will help to keep her mind occupied and engage both of you in positive interaction which speeds up her settling in with you.  My OH is of the view of "let him be a dog" but is now finding that our dog won't interact with him much because it's not particularly enjoyable/rewarding for him to do so.

Combine classes (or a one to one session if you can afford it) and a crate, and I'm sure the problems will settle down.

Good luck.

D

Offline miche

• Site Member
    • http://mwcooling.co.uk
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2006, 02:36:32 PM »
Hi Tarina,

I didn't crate mine but never felt the need to but I would have if I wanted to stop the probs that you are having, it will give you both a break.

Having a young dog is very much like having a toddler, everything must be put out of reach and you can't trust them in a room on their own. ;) you have to be one step ahead of them all of the time and you have to be prepared to change your home.

Cockers do look up at you with their georgeous eyes but do remember, they are not lap dogs (especially working cockers) they need a lot of stimulation and need you to be firm in a positive way.  Koppa will be a happier dog too if treated like this.

I have a book of fun and games to play with your dog - some indoors, some outdoors, I've only just got it so can't tell you much about it, maybe something like this will help stimulate her.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Love Michele, Mikey and Herbiexx

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2006, 01:48:53 PM »
Miche

What's the book on games called?

Denise

PhilNorthYorks

« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2006, 09:52:10 PM »
All dogs chew, hence they invented dog chews! But just like a child will play with the box the expensive xmas present came in rather than the present, dogs will chew anything other than a dog chew.

However, the first and foremost thing to bear in mind is that dogs are simple animals, how many times have I seen puppies chewing slippers and then later owners getting mad at their dog for chewing their finest italian brogues! So its got to be the same message from day one!

You can only "punish" your dog if it does something in your presence, and it must be immediate, usually a harsh tone of voice and a "bad dog" will suffice. It is never acceptable to cause your animal pain or suffering.

With regards to chewing then it must have specific items to chew, and these should be specialy designed chews and not household items, as we don't want the dog becoming confused. Theres lots to chose from, from rope type affairs that clean teeth to the old pigs ear. You should try and play with your dog with the chew, and then hold the chew while she chews it, send a positive message that chewing this particular thing is good.

The key to all animal training is positive and negative praise, reward the good behaviour enthusiastically, and have a short harsh "bad dog" for the bad behaviour.

Offline tarina

• Site Member
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2006, 07:26:37 PM »
Koppa has Rope chews/pulls, frisby, balls, kong, pigs ears, rawhide chews, rubber bones, toys, treat ball.  So I think we have covered that area.  I will ask to have this topic closed now.  I am looking to take her to obedience/training classes.  I will report back soon.  Thank-you all for your suggestions and help.

:blink:  Tarina.

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2006, 07:32:50 PM »
Thread closed ;)
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional