Author Topic: Mikey isn't getting it!  (Read 4694 times)

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
Re: Mikey isn't getting it!
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2006, 09:54:19 PM »
Ben has many faults but many good traits also!  His toilet training was a dream - unless my daughter was left in charge  ph34r he had quite a few accidents as she didn't read the signs or reward him when he went in the garden.  It seemed like a never ending struggle for a few weeks but he got there really quickly.  He is also a golden and far to clever for his own good  ;)

Offline Petra

• Site Member
  • yippee, water!!
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2006, 10:02:33 PM »
OOoh, this is where Rachel's theory falls a little flat - Dill 'nice but dim' took over 7 months to toilet train....
He still hasn't mastered retrieve with a ball or toy, he still can't push an ajar door open and still does not understand why he cannot stand up under the bed!!   Doh!! :005:
Remember, this is the dog who once fell over backwards whilst scratching himself under the chin... :005:

He is solid chocolate - perhaps my next one should be light roan or golden... (or I should go for black and have a dumb and dumber pair :005:)

Petra

Offline Abby

• Site Member
    • Pub Dog Days
« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2006, 10:05:36 PM »
OOoh, this is where Rachel's theory falls a little flat - Dill 'nice but dim' took over 7 months to toilet train....
He still hasn't mastered retrieve with a ball or toy, he still can't push an ajar door open and still does not understand why he cannot stand up under the bed!!   Doh!! :005:
Remember, this is the dog who once fell over backwards whilst scratching himself under the chin... :005:

He is solid chocolate - perhaps my next one should be light roan or golden... (or I should go for black and have a dumb and dumber pair :005:)

:luv: :luv: Oh how I would love to meet Dill...he sounds gorgeous even if he's no Einstein!
Abby, Clive n Dylan

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2006, 10:06:10 PM »

:luv: I'd go for a solid chocolate one - what a great fun Dill sounds  :luv:  Do you want to swap for a couple of days????  I'm sure you'd change your mind  :005:

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2006, 10:07:28 PM »

:rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1:
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2006, 10:15:40 PM »
maybe there is something in the theory that dippy dogs "get" toilet training quicker than brighter ones .... :huh:
Not here - golden pup was house trained before black one!

Offline Joelf

• Site Member
« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2006, 05:51:39 PM »
I've found that the time it takes to house-train does vary from dog to dog.

Our first lab Stella was more or less clean when we got her as a rescue at about 9 months; Stanley took at least 6-7 months before I could fully trust him & all though his life he wasn't too bothered about messing indoors if he got caught short!! ;) Sidney was clean practically from day one;however in those days his breeder & I trained them first on newspaper so the whole process took a lot longer than it needed to.

Spike was almost totally clean at 14 weeks & now would rather slit his own throat than mess indoors & Domino being extremely quick & intelligent took very little time to grasp what was required!!

When Spike & Domino were puppies we took them outside at very frequent intervals & I would set the alarm for 2.30a.m. & go outside with them. I found by doing that we didn't get any accidents during the night.

Now they are both adult the longest I would expect them to hang on would be 4 hours; although Spike sometimes doesn't bother to go first thing in the morning- he likes to make sure he gets his breakfast first!! ;)
Jo, Domino (cocker) & Spike (black lab.)

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2006, 06:35:41 PM »
Spike sometimes doesn't bother to go first thing in the morning- he likes to make sure he gets his breakfast first!! ;)

Really, that doesn't sound much like a Lab!  :005:  :lol:
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2006, 06:43:23 PM »
Spike sometimes doesn't bother to go first thing in the morning- he likes to make sure he gets his breakfast first!! ;)

Really, that doesn't sound much like a Lab!  :005:  :lol:

:005:
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2006, 12:48:57 PM »

Dallas is black and as simple as they come :lol: I have heard it said more than once that the blacks tend to be lacking in the brain cell department :005: :005:
[/quote]

I think Paddy is more than a bit simple at times!  He disappeared last night: found him in the kitchen starting at his Buster cube intently (clearly had been there for a while) and it really looked like he hoped some food might materialise, TARDIS like, in front of him....

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2006, 01:34:11 PM »

:005: :005: :005:  :luv:

I want to meet Dill too, he sounds adorable!

Alfie is a light blue roan and he's definitely a bit lacking in the old brain cell department, bless him  :luv: although his toilet training was really easy, especially once we'd fitted his dog door. Shame the rest isn't like that, even now when I say "down" sometimes I get a down, sometimes I get a sit and then a "paw" and sometimes I just get a blank stare  ::)  :lol:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2006, 02:11:50 PM »
jarv was housetrained by 11 weeks :o 

can you see how worried i am in case we ever get number 2 - having such a good no.1 pup must surely mean no.2 will have a small tattoo of 3 digits underneath his head-tuft ?  >:D >:D >:D >:D

ps Dill is a complete poppet, can't wait to meet him one day petra ;) :luv:
helen & jarvis x