Author Topic: Fighting  (Read 4930 times)

Offline Loraine

• Site Member
    • http://
Fighting
« on: June 13, 2003, 03:08:36 PM »
Before leaving for work, the dogs get a Kong each.  Usually I stuff them with JWB Crackerjacks but as I had run out today I used cheddar cheese - Candy's all time favourite.

Candy managed to get both of them - one in her mouth the other under her legs. When Georgia tried to take one, Candy went ballistic.  Poor Georgia was squealing and I had to separate them.  I shouted first but when she didn't relent, I had to use my hands.  Candy went for me -thankfully she didn't break the skin but I have to admit I was frightened.  She's never done anything like that before ever.  I roared at her and she backed down. I ended up with two cowering dogs and not to mention me shaking like a leaf.  

Should I have intervened? I was once told that dogs will sort out their own pecking order and you should never intervene - Georgia has to learn her place.  Is this true?

To make matters worse both of my neighbours were out in their gardens and witnessed the whole thing.  I could see that they weren't impressed and I felt really incompetent and as if I couldn't control my dogs.

How does everyone else with more than one dog cope?   Do you let your dogs have toys?  How do you stop them from fighting over them?

I have to feed them separately too otherwise Candy tries to steal Georgia's food.  Will I have to do this forever?

Just to clarify they don't fight all the time but when they do it's quite intense.

L x :(                    
Loraine and Candy xxxx

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
    • home of the Fernlow band of cockers!!!
Fighting
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2003, 03:17:57 PM »
we had to interviene when holly tried to challenge Willow in the pecking order.

We simply re enforced willows position by fussing her before holly. She soon got the message.

But your problem is a little different. Dogs will instictivly protect their food so that factor whould have coe into play.                    
Clare
Fern (HRH) and Willow (lolo)
Bryony, Gypsi, Thorn and Rocky

Sorry if my Post offends you, my cocker spaniel has learnt to type and i can not be held responsible for her attitude problem!

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Fighting
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2003, 03:42:23 PM »
Still having problems here - tried to post this reply once - but no luck - here goes again.

I have this with my boys Loraine ;D - remedy - only give them this type of chew/toy when separated. Buddy does the hunter gatherer bit and then just sits on them, only digging in if Jasp goes near. They are fed their meals at the same time but in diff parts of the kitchen so they are out of each others site. They get Schmakos together as they dont touch the sides ;D - but long lasting chews - only when they are in separate rooms :-.

hth                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Fighting
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2003, 04:19:32 PM »
Hi Loraine,

Poor you, I'd have been shaking like a leaf to :- I hate to see dogs fight, especially if it starts to get serious. I can't offer too much advice only having one dog. Sayinf that tho, Buttons and my friends cocker Roana are together alot and there is only 2 months between them. I have to admit that Buttons is definitly very "vocal" when she plays, at first I was so worried that she was being aggressive, now I have realised she isn't and as she's got older its calmed down alot. They have had the occassional tiff over nothing specific, and seem to go at it hammer and tongs. I don't step in, but clap my hands VERY loudly a few times and shout "GIRLS" at the top of my voice, and they seem to stop at once then carry on playing. Luckily neither of them are possessive over food, but Buttons once went ballistic when Roana tried to sniff her when she was eating a markie biscuit :-, instinctively, Roana backed down straight away and all was forgotton. Maybe during Georgia's settling in period Candy is establishing herself as the boss, but Georgia being young isn't learning to back down quick enough :-
I'm sorry I can't help anymore if at all, just want to offer my words of support, I'm sure more experienced members will be able to help further.

Gilly :)                    

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Fighting
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2003, 06:04:28 PM »
Hi Loraine, this is a problem that I have with Vegas and Dallas ::) Vegas used to get a buster cube before I left for work but whenever Dallas so much as moved he would growl and fly at him. Even when the buster cube was empty he was still protective over it. Now Dallas gets a bonio left in his crate and Vegas gets his at the other side of the room. Its the same at mealtimes. Lifes a lot simpler that way ;D                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline LindaW

• Site Member
    • http://www.shandardel-cockers.co.uk
Fighting
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2003, 10:44:11 AM »
I wonder whether Candy is due to come into season?  I have 5 bitches that all live in the house and get on really well but with a couple of them, within the weeks leading up to them coming into season they do seem to be a bit stroppy - doggy premenstrual tension! :)                    
Linda
xx
Jodie, Pippa, Daisy, Lolly, Gem, Tigger, Butty, Fanny and Coco!

Anonymous

Fighting
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2003, 01:23:28 PM »
aw Loraine only just seen this, my two argue aswell, haven't had full blown fisty cuffs yet though, but then I think thats cos poppy knows shes the boss and so does jessie  ;D  even thou jessie will test her with a boxign punch every now and then...

hope things are sorting themselves since you posted...   :)                    

Offline Loraine

• Site Member
    • http://
Fighting
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2003, 04:09:18 PM »
I wonder whether Candy is due to come into season?  I have 5 bitches that all live in the house and get on really well but with a couple of them, within the weeks leading up to them coming into season they do seem to be a bit stroppy - doggy premenstrual tension! :)

Candy was in season the week I got Georgia which was 17th May.  It's finished now thank goodness.  It must have been tough for poor Candy with her first season and a new pup but you'll have to forgive my ignorance (my first experience of dogs) but I really didn't know what was wrong with her as the bleeding didn't start until I had already agreed to have Georgia otherwise I would have waited.

Things are a little better now.  That's mainly because I am managing the toys/treats a bit better.  Sounds a bit stupid but it didn't occur to me that they would fight; I thought as long as they had one each they'd be happy.  Guess that's just a bit too human - and even then that's optimistic!  (Can you tell I don't have kids ;D??!!)                    
Loraine and Candy xxxx

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Fighting
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2003, 04:28:52 PM »
Many many dogs exhibit share anxiety to some extent Loraine - my two little angels included - its perfectly natural (for them!) and not something you should worry overly about ;D As you say, managing their treats/toys is the way to go about it, a problem avoided etc.

ps my springer also gets a bit grumpy when in/just before her season... whereas Daisy cocker you'd never know if she didnt swell up a bit, funny huh  ;D                    

Offline LindaW

• Site Member
    • http://www.shandardel-cockers.co.uk
Fighting
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2003, 11:46:47 AM »
Hi Lorraine,
I'm glad that things are more settled now - I wasn't sure how old your bitches were or anything but it does sound as though hormones probably played a part in the fighting.
 ::)                    
Linda
xx
Jodie, Pippa, Daisy, Lolly, Gem, Tigger, Butty, Fanny and Coco!