Author Topic: The Great Escape  (Read 1583 times)

Offline fudgesmammy

• Site Member
    • http://
The Great Escape
« on: December 16, 2003, 10:10:15 PM »
We're experiencing a little strange behaviour from Fudge.
We've worked really really hard on her recal and it is now 95% when we're out 'on a walk', having taken her in the car or on her lead to somewhere safe for her to run around (i.e no cars) HOWEVER If fudge gets out of the house without hving been first on the lead or without being asked to sit stay and then jump in the car she runs away. She hears us shout and she keeps on running usually, but not exclusively, down the river at the bottom of our hill. She wont come anywhere near either of us when she's on one of her escape efforts and she runs SOO fast. The other night we were at my in laws and she escaped through their back door, they live next to a very busy road and she ran across it several times. The only way I got her back was because she ran into the CO-OP (over a mile from the house!!!!!) and got captured!
It terrifies me that one time she'll get run over. We are SO careful with her now and rarely let her near the front door but our two young nephews are not so vigilant. Does any one have any idea why she behaves so oddly? Why her recal is so good on a walk and yet she blatantly ignores us if she has 'escaped'?                    
Eilidh, Fudge and Harry

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
The Great Escape
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2003, 10:44:03 PM »
I wouldn't say Fudge's behaviour is all that strange - the reason she doesn't respond to you when she "escapes" is because you are probably not acting in the same way as you would when practising a recall out on a walk - there will naturally be panic in your voice & maybe you are chasing after her at the same time too (also natural under the circumstances), both of which can just heighten the excitement Fudge is feeling when she "escapes". Obviously accidents can happen to anyone but now this has happened more than once, you need to take more steps to make sure it doesn't happen again - the consequences if you don't do this don't bear thinking about, not just for Fudge but for other people if she is the cause of a road accident :( Have you thought about fitting a spring to your garden gate (assuming the front door doesn't open straight onto the road) so that it will automatically shut even if someone leaves it open? You might also want to fit a baby gate across your hall so she can't get to the front door if its left open. It might not be feasible depending on your house layout of course but prevention is often better than cure.                    
Jane

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
The Great Escape
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2003, 10:46:49 PM »
I'm sure it must be the excitement of being out that makes her react like this :?

I'm afraid I take no chances whatsoever when I open the front door.  We live on a small estate that can be used as a through road :x  and so the traffic can be unpredictable.  I never open the front door until I either have hold of her collar or she is shut in another room and I will only leave the house with her once she is on her lead (even if putting her in the car on the drive).

Like you say, it can be difficult with young children around but I have two and it now comes natural for them to 'think dog!' before opening the door.                    
Mary & Lottie x

Offline english.springer

• Site Member
    • http://www.cropsafe.co.uk
The Great Escape
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2003, 10:59:59 PM »
Door Bolting I would imagine that's abit of a shocker when it happens.

Not sure if it's related but with my 3 dogs when they were pups I had a problems of them doing this, it was because one night I let them out with me to go for a walk and a fox ran past :shock:  well they put chase with me close behind (with a colourful delight of words) :evil: . After this it was a regular thing so the only way I got round it was to sit them in front of the door and made them stay and opened the door, alittle at first and abit more as the days went by. if they moved the door was closed fast . After the door opening was mastered I incorperated the heel command did this every nite for weeks but now they wait you get the odd fault but no one is perfect!

Any how don't know if this will help but it's a good success story. :D                    
Good birds on the day are only as good as the dogs that put them there!.........If it\'s still moving send the dog!

Offline Mary P

• Site Member
The Great Escape
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2003, 12:37:12 AM »
Hi,
We are just starting to let Tia off the lead now and she has responded well - coming when called.
HOWEVER she managed to give me the slip getting out of the car (my fault as I trusted her not to move).
We were between a park and a busy shopping area so I was lucky to catch her (she stopped to examine a lamp post).
I agree with the above - distractions, a different tone in my voice all led to her exitement at being free after all those weeks in kennels and then her new family keeping tabs on her.
I'll be more careful in future.                    
Mary P

Please help me raise £1000 for MAGGIE'S CENTRES
Thanks!

www.justgiving.com/Mary-Cuba2015

I NEED YOUR HELP, PLEASE DONATE!!! PLEASE ASK OTHERS TO DONATE!!!