Author Topic: Grasses Down Scooby's Ear  (Read 1150 times)

Offline scooby's mum

• Site Member
  • Scooby & Misty's Mum
Grasses Down Scooby's Ear
« on: July 10, 2005, 11:06:32 PM »
I took Scooby up to the local reservoir on Thursday with my friend and her two cockers and Scooby just had a great time, although he insists on swimming in horrid, green stagnant water each time we go  :o

Anyway, he'd just finished swimming in the reservoir (the clean bit) when he came out crying and holding his head to the side and I just knew he had something stuck in his ear.  I brought him home and had a look and could see the tip of some grass (the very fine yellow type with seeds on the end).  I immediately rang the vet and they couldn't fit us in until 4.00pm (this was at 11.00am)  :(  I hung up, looked in his ear again and the grass had disappeared, obviously further down the ear canal.

Anyway, poor Scoobs spent the next 5 hours feeling sorry for himself and would only come out of his bed for a cuddle on my knee - I felt so helpless  :(

Anyway, when the vet eventually examined him, she removed this horrendously large piece of grass - it wasn't particularly long but had about 5 grasses sticking out of the main stem, no wonder he was in agony  :rolleyes:   The vet also said that the inside of his ear was really inflamed, so he's on antibiotic drops twice a day in his ear.

I'm just annoyed with myself for not just driving him down there - I bet they would have removed it straight away if I had just turned up with him in pain, never mind, you live and learn  :)
Love Joanne, Misty & Scooby

Offline scooby's mum

• Site Member
  • Scooby & Misty's Mum
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2005, 11:11:32 PM »
Just now seen Jilly's post about the same thing - this is obviously extremely common  :(

It's worse than having kids  :lol:

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2005, 11:15:08 PM »
Poor Scooby and poor you :(

Trouble is vets dont often class grass seeds as an emergency. I remember with Gunnar, taking him for his morning walk and his falling down like he was drunk - grass seed in the ear :( Rushed his off to the only vet that was open that time of day - the RSPCA animal hospital - and they refused to see him making me walk him two miles to the nearest private vets :(

Needless to sat the RSPCA are no longer on my charity donations list.

Hope Scoobys ear clears up soon. And dont be blaming yourself, its a rare cocker who doesnt get at least one grass seed in his ear
Caroline and Alfie

Offline Mo

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2005, 03:17:55 PM »
Hope Scooby is feeling better and not in too much discomfort.  Following a recent thread on grass seeds I now check both dogs every night and can guarantee that I pull out at least 3-5 seeds per dog, whether it be in their body fur or in their paws  :o.  Joey's fur is like teddy bear fur so spotting seeds is quiet hard but I've found that wetting their paws helps pull the fur apart and you can spot them better.

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2005, 06:39:19 PM »
Awww poor Scooby - hope he is ok now.  ;)

Both of my girls had one last year and Georgie had one this year, because I hadnt put their hoods on  :rolleyes:

This is what they now wear - not very attractive but do the trick  ;)   You  still have to check their body and feet though.  ;)

Made out of tracky bottoms with elastic each end
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline dreamcatcher

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2005, 07:06:37 PM »
:( Poor Scooby, Shiloh had exactly the same last Thursday luckily I managed to get him straight down the vets, because he was in agony but only because it happened at a time they were open. He had one in his paw 2 days earlier Im sick of the horrible things It now spoils our walks the constant worry that its going to happen again :(  Shiloh is also on antibiotics and sends lots of cocker hugs to scooby :(
TANYA AND SHILOH

Offline scooby's mum

• Site Member
  • Scooby & Misty's Mum
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2005, 10:21:19 PM »
God, I didn't realise they can get them stuck in their paws as well - my goodness, I'll be a nervous wreck now  :lol:

And Sue, those hoods look really cute  :P  but then again, cockers luck cute doing or wearing anything don't they  :D

Offline Cayley

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2005, 11:30:26 PM »
I on't want to jinx anything but my two have never had a grass seed in there ears, only Lottie had one which I've mentioned before, it went in her cheek without us seeing and her cheek went up like baloon  :( , the vet cut her cheek open and removed it, there is no scar from it.
Cayley.