Author Topic: little things should I be worried  (Read 1327 times)

Offline Terriw1957

• Site Member
    • http://
little things should I be worried
« on: May 24, 2013, 06:13:24 PM »
Webster is almost 9 and up until recently he's been great, but there are little things I am worried about, vet has checked him over and said all ok but am unsure, he's drinking lots more than normal some days its almost 3 litre. after having his teeth cleaned we noticed  his pouches at side of mouth have little blisters (vet has prescribed steroid cream for this)  but doesn't seem to be clearing up
he's always hungry so we bought this satiety diet food now he's started eating poo,
and today I noticed his and his pads are almost white.
All these things togther are making us worried any thoughts. :huh:

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
Re: little things should I be worried
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 06:21:58 PM »
If it were me I'd probably ask for a second opinion, just to be sure.  Hope it turns out that everything is ok  :bigarmhug:

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 06:25:33 PM »
If it were me I'd probably ask for a second opinion, just to be sure.  Hope it turns out that everything is ok  :bigarmhug:

I agree - think it would be wise if only to put your mind at rest. 

Jayne

Offline Poppsie

• Donator
  • Mia and Phoebe
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 06:39:24 PM »

Me too are his gums nice and pink?? x x x

poppy 31/12/95-27/4/2009
Pebbles 14/1/97-10/2/2011 
my beautiful girls together again forever x

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 06:43:09 PM »
I agree that you should get a second opinion, especially with regard to the excessive thirst and hunger. Hope he's OK :blink:

Offline coopersmum

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 07:07:11 PM »
Another one that thinks you need a second opinion here. There are a lot of endocrine problems that can affect them when they are older that can cause things like excessive thirst and hunger. There are screening tests available for a lot of these problems so it might be worth while having some bloods run, if only to put your mind at rest.

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 09:45:46 AM »
3 litres is excessive.  On wet food I think they need 50mls per kilo of body weight.  So a 10 kilo dog needs 500mls, or a pint, and and 15 kilo one 750ml. On dry food they need more of course. Other thing come into itlike activity levels, cheap food with salt additives to improve flavour. Also the more they drink, the more compulsive it gets due to something called kidney washout. when my other dog did this i had to measure out her allowance for the day and see how panicky she got first, and whether her wee turned a more normal yellow. if it doesnt there could be a kidney problem.  Dont actually deprive him though.  when they are desperate they will look for water everywhere. I can't understand why your vet hasn't done blood tests yet. You must get him back there or a new vet. The hunger must be connected somehow.
What are his poos like? Is he losing weight or looking bloated?
Sorry if I sound bossy, but I have been here. Catch a sample of wee in a sterile Tupperware box and decant it into a sterilised jam or spice jar for the vet, preferably the first morning sample  which will be less dilute.  Measure how much he has to drink.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 09:54:09 AM »
I believe that if you are unsure and something isn't sitting right, despite what the vet says, then you just take him back. You know your dog better than anyone. You see him all the time....the vet doesn't. It could be anything but you maybe need to get the ball rolling and soon. I remember Kali having a horrendous thirst and it turned out that after they gave me the diagnosis of diabetes, it was just needing me to soak her food! However, there are a few things going on with Webster so time to go and ask for answers xx
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2013, 10:33:50 AM »
Turst your own instincts, personally, I would be seeking a second opinion. 

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2013, 11:00:12 AM »
Is the food the expensive Royal Canin satiety one from your vet???!
That would certainly make him thirsty if you read the ingredients. Cellulose, chicken meal, wheat gluten , corn gluten, chicken,beet pulp etc.   plenty for allergies .  This a a diet food for obese healthy dogs!
I would go for a basic sensitive gluten free food, grain free food.  Not the Pets at Home ones because they are loaded with salt.  Fish, pork or lamb with either veg or potato.   Or raw from your pet shops freezer , it comes as minced meats with tiny bits of bone in, and add your own cooked carrot, potato or sweet potato.
Lastly I would definitely  get a second opinion elsewhere.  Monday!
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.