Author Topic: Puppy Eating Her Own Poo !  (Read 1441 times)

Offline tterrii

• Site Member
Puppy Eating Her Own Poo !
« on: May 19, 2005, 10:21:53 AM »
hello, i have a new 8 week old puppy, and looked round to see her eating her own poo,  (yuk! ) , i quickly picked the remaining poo up. and thought that was the end of it. she then managed to get into the garden, were my other dog had just had a poo, and to my horror, saw my new puppy eating her poo too.

any ideas, on why she is eating poo ?

she has been wormed, she is feed on purina pro plan puppy food, but she is not a big eater, but seems to really wolf into poo.?

how can i stop her of this, and do you think there could be a medical problem for this.

any help or advise greatly appriciated.

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2005, 11:19:36 AM »
It's quite common, and I remember seeing lots of threads on here about it recently.

Try doing a search for "eating poo", I just did and several threads came up. Too many to put links on here.

Don't know what you can do about it though! Fortunately that's one problem we don't have. :P

Offline nikki

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2005, 01:15:12 PM »
Millie used to eat her poo! :lol:

I think they call it copophragia! or something like that anyway.

its apparently harmless, i looked up on sooo many sites as i was worried.

just remember dont let her give you a kiss!   :angry: haha (speaking from experience)

they do eventually grow out of it i think and hey it saves you a job of cleaning haha :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Offline cindere528

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2005, 01:18:38 PM »
I have heard that giving them pineapple to eat or even pineapple juice to drink stops them eating their poo.  Apparently, it makes the poo taste nasty, I can't imagine it tasting good without the pineapple myself  :lol: , but it's worth a try & can't do any harm.

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2005, 02:27:20 PM »
It's very very common and normal, even if utterly disgusting - especially if they want to kiss you afterwards :o  :ph34r:

The best thing is to clean up immediately. Pineapple is said to work but I just did the clean up and Buddy grew out of it. Some sadly don't grow out of it and will eat any poo they find - yucky yuck. Buddy tried horse at one bit :blink: But it is not unknown for them to have cat and fox poo dietary additives :wacko:

You need to keep your wits about you and spot it before your puppy does.
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline tobycat

• Site Member
    • Elmonts Online
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2005, 03:22:46 PM »
There's quite a bit of info about coprophagia on this site.

Mine have never eaten dog poo but both find other types to be very tasty :blink:

They go mad for horse, sheep, cow, rabbit but for some reason especially hedgehog!!! :blink:  :blink:  :blink:
http://www.justgiving.com/lizelmont
"On judgement day if God should say, "Did you clean your house today?"
I will say, "I did not, I played with my dogs and I forgot." Anon.

Offline Becky

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2005, 07:22:26 PM »
Neither of mine have done it but both my parents' dogs used to, with cat poo being their snack of chioce :lol: .  We did try pineapple and they seemed to grow out of it, though they will very occassionally have a sneaky munch. :ph34r:
Love Becky, Danny and Ollie!

Offline tterrii

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2005, 08:37:21 AM »
thanks for all your help and advise, my puppy is off for her second vaccination tonight, and i will mention it to them, that she is eating poo.

not nice, and for now cocker kisses are off.

Offline Loraine

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2005, 10:02:46 AM »
As Pammy said the best thing to do is to pick it up straight away.  Candy will be 3 in July and still does it if I don't get out there quick!!  The only benefit is that I have saved a fortune on poo bags!!  ;)

thanks for all your help and advise, my puppy is off for her second vaccination tonight, and i will mention it to them, that she is eating poo.

not nice, and for now cocker kisses are off.
[snapback]129062[/snapback]
Loraine and Candy xxxx