Author Topic: Question About Paddy  (Read 1517 times)

Offline paddys mum

• Site Member
Question About Paddy
« on: May 27, 2005, 09:47:06 AM »
Hi all,
        Just a quick question. Paddy has a bit of a watery right eye, he's always had it, sometimes it worse than others but you can't see the tears it's just wet a little way down his nose (if you get that). It's not green or gooey, just watery. I've read that some cockers have 'tear stained' fur around their eyes. I've been wiping it and putting a little golden eye on at night which seems to make it better. Just checking it's 'normal' I'm not too worried otherwise we'd have been off to the vets by now, just thought we'd ask the experts.  :D
Nicola, Grace & Paddy xxx

Offline Annette

• Site Member
Question About Paddy
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2005, 09:49:01 AM »
Sorry. I don't know, but Buddy gets a bit of this too. Not enough for me to need to treat it, I just wipe around his eyes when grooming him.

Hope it is nothing for you to worry about, I'm sure you will get some helpful advice soon!

Offline sarahb2206

• Site Member
    • http://
Question About Paddy
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2005, 10:27:16 AM »
Bramble gets it too - I have looked at her eyes very carefully, as there a loads of problems you can get with the eyes, like
Entropion - eyelids that roll in
Ectropion - eyelids that roll out  and other problems.

I think they are prone to watery eyes, though, but I'm no expert, just what I have read and heard.  Most of the other Cockers we know have weepy eyes too.

If the eyes look at all sore though, its worth getting checked out by a vet.

My cocker "bible" is "Cocker Spaniel - an owner guide" by Lesley Scott-Ordish.  I have found it really helpful.

Hope its just "one of those things" and nothing serious.  

Sarah and Bramble XX

Offline Sarah_S

• Site Member
    • kennel coruscant
Question About Paddy
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2005, 10:41:10 AM »
Perhaps his eyelashes are too long, they can annoy his eye and make it watery.

Or he has distichiasis, which is tiny little hair on the edge of the eye (I'm not sure how to translate it). Distichiasis is very common in cockers, but is usually not a problem that causes a watery eye. But if the tiny hair point directly into the eye, it might be Paddys problem.

:) Sarah
Coruscant cockers and newfies
with homepage, now also in English.....

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Question About Paddy
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2005, 10:54:58 AM »
Or he has distichiasis, which is tiny little hair on the edge of the eye (I'm not sure how to translate it).
[snapback]129337[/snapback]

I think that's ingrowing' eyelashes, Sarah :) That's quite a painful condition though, I believe. Has the vet taken a look at Paddy's eyes?

Offline paddys mum

• Site Member
Question About Paddy
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2005, 11:07:14 AM »
Thanks for your replies.
The vet has looked at his eyes each time we've been (so thats about 3 or 4 times since we've had him, he's 11 months old :)) and she said they were fine, she checked for ingrowing eyelashes, but they looked ok. He's not rubbing his eyes and they don't seem to bother him at all,  it's me thats more bothered  :rolleyes:  :D   Just wondered if it was just 'one of those things' just thought I'd check as we don't have any friends that have cockers - just you lot! :D  ;)

Offline Sarah_S

• Site Member
    • kennel coruscant
Question About Paddy
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2005, 11:23:11 AM »
I'm not sure disti--- is called ingrowing eyelashes. You cant see them unless u eye examine them with ......I have no idea what they are called in english......but those things a veterinary ophtomalmologist use to put light on eyes when they examine them..... :ph34r:  

I'm so bad at this... I need a translator  :rolleyes:

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Question About Paddy
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2005, 11:40:40 AM »
Here's a good link for what distichiasis is - basically, an extra set of eyelashes that grow vertically rather than outwards in the usual way  :ph34r:

http://www.vet2pet.co.uk/default.asp?ophth....html~mainframe

ps opthalmascope?

Offline Sarah_S

• Site Member
    • kennel coruscant
Question About Paddy
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2005, 11:54:39 AM »
ps opthalmascope?

erhm, perhaps  :D  

That would be my best guess too, but the opthalmologist use different instruments. I'm not sure what they use to determine disti......

Offline Sarah_S

• Site Member
    • kennel coruscant
Question About Paddy
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2005, 11:58:04 AM »
Have to add that one of mine has distichiasis (the other hasn't been examined yet), and I was told by the vet that up to 90% of DK cockers has it, but it is usually not written in the report because it normally doesn't affect them at all.
Mine isn't affected either, although she sometimes has watery eyes, but that is often if we have been out training in the field.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Question About Paddy
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2005, 01:25:43 PM »
Distichiasis is very common in Cockers & doesn't usually cause any probs if there are not too many of the extra lashes. Watery eyes are often caused by tear duct problems - some Cockers are born with tear ducts which are narrower than normal or in rare cases, are born with one or more tear ducts missing. Sometimes normal tear ducts get blocked & can cause excess watering etc - blocked ducts can be flushed out easily enough by a vet. So slight watering isn't much to worry about as long as there are no signs of discomfort/infection but if eyes are constantly watering a lot, I would get the vet to do a bit more investigation :)

Jane
Jane

Offline paddys mum

• Site Member
Question About Paddy
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2005, 06:08:45 PM »
Wow thanks for all your replies, knew I could count on you to give me some help and advice - maybe I will go to the vets just to get it checked better safe than sorry.  :)

Another question Sarah S - what is a dk cocker ?(I'm a bit thick  :ph34r:  :rolleyes: )

Offline Sarah_S

• Site Member
    • kennel coruscant
Question About Paddy
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2005, 07:50:50 PM »
oooooops, sorry

I'm from Denmark, therefor a dk cocker is a cocker that lives in DK.

Sorry my fault.   :rolleyes:

Offline paddys mum

• Site Member
Question About Paddy
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2005, 08:46:51 PM »
Oh now I get it
Thanks.  :D x